Themed stages

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Themed stages

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:04 am

A lot of festivals have stages devoted to certain genres/subgenres. Should BOA follow suit? It seems to work well for Hellfest, Alcatraz etc

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Themed stages

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:05 am

Personally I would like this as I could concentrate on thrash and death metal.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:36 am

It works at Hellfest because they have 2 main stages that aren't themed and they've got the space to then have another 4 that are. Not to mention the stature of bands on these stages are normally of a consistently high quality (as opposed to the play-for-free pub bands Bloodstock books on its other stages). Bloodstock would have to grow considerably (and start booking bands for the other stages that most folk have actually heard of) for this to work.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:45 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Bloodstock would have to grow considerably (and start booking bands for the other stages that most folk have actually heard of) for this to work.

I don't understand why BOA does this as there are smaller festivals in Europe who seem to be able to book more well known bands for their smaller stages. Yet BOA only seem to be able to book unknown bands.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:55 am

BOA just needs to book KNOWN bands on the sophie stage from the first band of the day to the last. They don't need to be huge, or even a name outside their respective subgenres, but ones people have actually heard of to give goers a REAL alternative to the mainstage. Regarding Hellfest's stoner/black/death stages I usually know 90% and out of them enjoy loads of those (although this year is the first one I've seen that doesn't inspire me.) In 2016 when I last went I didn't even go to the mainstage until like 8pm on the Saturday because the black/death tent was so good.

At the moment its hard to know where the new blood ends and the Sophie stage begins, and it seems whether you know some of the middle of the day bands is entirely down to whether they're local to the area in which you go to shows, and so play in your local pubs or as first support at bigger shows. There are plenty of bands at Party San and Brutal Assault the same weekend that could play throughout the day instead. Brutal Assault books name bands the entire day on 4 stages and has a lower capacity than bloodstock - it isn't as if they're selling triple the amount of tickets to be able to do so.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:35 am

I think the issue is that there is no incentive for them to do so. If they're shifting enough tickets on the pull of the main stage bands (which over the last couple of years it seems that they are) then they're not going to feel the need to spend more money on the 2nd stage when they could just get a bunch of pub bands to play for nothing.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:43 am

Not sure how I feel about this

Pro - More niche bands on segregated stages, potential to lower the impact of booking hardcore / Slayer headliners on the rest of the lineup. Potential to bring on smaller bands in a genre-specific tent / stage.

Con - Effectively segregating crowds for a good portion of the day - half the point of a music festival, rather than some all-dayer in a pub back room, is that you're going to see something you wouldn't normally bother with, even if it's only hearing it while you're in the bar.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:51 pm

No thanks.

If you've ever been to Hellfest then you would know it's a nightmare for clashes. If you have a Black Metal or Doom band on the mainstage then they are almost certainly going to clash with a similar band in the tent. If you just want one genre then go to a festival that has that one genre. There are loads of them.

I believe they originally started doing it at Hellfest due to complaints about Punk bands playing. So they gave them their own tent. Or was it complaints from Punks? I can't remember now.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Bloodstock is to small for this sort of thing

If you dedicate the Sophie tent(Im assuming this is what you mean as Dio and Hobgoblin would really not be suited to this) to 1 genre all day everyone who doesn't like that genre is screwed when it comes to alternatives to the Dio stage
Last edited by Cassius on Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:00 pm

On the flip side, some people would argue that certain genres would be better suited to a tent rather than on an open air stage.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:17 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:It works at Hellfest because they have 2 main stages that aren't themed and they've got the space to then have another 4 that are. Not to mention the stature of bands on these stages are normally of a consistently high quality (as opposed to the play-for-free pub bands Bloodstock books on its other stages). Bloodstock would have to grow considerably (and start booking bands for the other stages that most folk have actually heard of) for this to work.

This. Bloodstock is nowhere near big enough for themed stages to work. I'd rather they focus on improving the overall quality of the bands on the second stage first, then focus on putting bands where they might actually fit - not having Swallow the Sun in broad daylight, for example. Other than that though its not a priority.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:24 pm

If they went ahead and did it, it would just end up with the same complaints HRH events get; a few middling names then a bunch of unknowns.

Also throw another spanner in the works, what genre(s) would any stage end up being? If BOA follow their seemingly current policy it'll be a hardcore stage that will salt the wound; if they go for power/stoner/doom etc people will complain that it's pub bands for the most part.

Focus on improving the current stages for the meanwhile, unless there's a big expansion then perhaps look into it.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:50 am

No thanks. It just won't work out well for a festival of Bloodstock's size.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:50 am

As most of the above, BOA isn't really the right size at this stage. I could see something like it working at Download though.

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:22 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:As most of the above, BOA isn't really the right size at this stage. I could see something like it working at Download though.

I think Download is kinda heading in that direction already. They have now made the 3rd stage the 'Avalanche' stage which is full of pop punk and emo bands. They've also started sticking most metal bands on the 4th stage too