Page 2 of 2

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm
by red_death
No thanks - it works at Hellfest due to the size of the festival.

As others have said BS really needs to up its game in terms of the bands booked. Even looking back at previous BS line ups there are more and more relatively unknown bands.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:24 pm
by houston4044
kurrupo wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:As most of the above, BOA isn't really the right size at this stage. I could see something like it working at Download though.


I think Download is kinda heading in that direction already. They have now made the 3rd stage the 'Avalanche' stage which is full of pop punk and emo bands. They've also started sticking most metal bands on the 4th stage too


Aye, and that has it's own problem. You end up ruining the experience by putting bands on stages they aren't suited for because they do/don't fit a certain theme. At The Gates is going to be far too crammed if 4th is as small as it was last I went, would be ideal on a stage the size of 3rd but because they aren't pop punk they get stuck on a tiny stage.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:06 am
by someone else
Download did do the 'Dad Rock Sunday' for a few years - in a similar way to BOA this year, planting similar bands on one day to appeal to day tickets buyers who might not care about the rest of the days. It makes the Saturday totally unappealing to me so that's why the idea doenst really work for a fest of this size - while the 'go and watch something else' is fine, but the second stage has never had a days line up that makes up to for dearth on the main stage and most of the bands I do like I can see at an all dayer locally for a fraction of the price.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:08 pm
by metalicbear
People saying BOA isn't big enough. There are smaller festivals out there which book bigger bands on their smaller stages than what BOA does. Bloodstock has 4 stages as well as a massive area taken up by a Bodybuilding stage and I believe they can go to around 30k if they wanted to. Bearded Theory which is at the same venue is half the size of BOA, yet manages to book bigger bands.

Bloodstocks 2nd,3rd and 4th stages are terrible and mainly filled with pub bands, so I don't really think it would be that much of an issue to have themed stages. Seems to be the way most festivals are going. People used to go to Reading/Leeds who weren't in to the more popular stuff, just to see the lock-up stage. HRH run themed events and sell out. People go to Download and Hellfest just for their niche stages.

They could easily have a Black/Death/Goth 2nd stage, a Stoner/Sludge/Doom 3rd stage and the 4th stage as a party stage.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 am
by houston4044
metalicbear wrote:HRH run themed events and sell out.


:lol: Sell out? They give away a ton of tickets for free in competitions and sell them at a huge discount.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:40 pm
by Gandalf the Red
metalicbear wrote:People saying BOA isn't big enough. There are smaller festivals out there which book bigger bands on their smaller stages than what BOA does. Bloodstock has 4 stages as well as a massive area taken up by a Bodybuilding stage and I believe they can go to around 30k if they wanted to. Bearded Theory which is at the same venue is half the size of BOA, yet manages to book bigger bands.

Bloodstocks 2nd,3rd and 4th stages are terrible and mainly filled with pub bands, so I don't really think it would be that much of an issue to have themed stages. Seems to be the way most festivals are going. People used to go to Reading/Leeds who weren't in to the more popular stuff, just to see the lock-up stage. HRH run themed events and sell out. People go to Download and Hellfest just for their niche stages.

They could easily have a Black/Death/Goth 2nd stage, a Stoner/Sludge/Doom 3rd stage and the 4th stage as a party stage.


The problem is you want bigger bands and comparing it to much bigger festivals. But who is going to pay for them? Bigger bands want paying.

They are now at the stage that they are booking bands such as Judas Priest and the Scorpions that cost upwards of £1M each. Unless there is a massive increase in ticket prices then It's not going to happen. Download can get away with booking bigger bands as they have a bigger audience and attract bigger sponsors. You are comparing festivals that hold up to 100,000 to one that holds about 12-15,000.

Do you really want to pay around £300 a ticket to go to Bloodstock?

Also comparing Bearded Theory to Bloodstock is a bit daft. It's nothing like the same type of festival, it's more like Fairport's Cropredy Convention in that most of the bands play for fun or as a favour. Bigger bands though? Not really. Even The Cult and Suede are Academy bands these days. Little Steven definitely is as my brother is going to see him in one.

https://beardedtheory.co.uk/2019-line-up/

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:27 pm
by Tet
Gandalf the Red wrote:They are now at the stage that they are booking bands such as Judas Priest and the Scorpions that cost upwards of £1M each.

No they don't. Yes, they're very expensive, almost certainly the most expensive bands to ever play Bloodstock. But they're not being paid 7 figures (I've been told the actual figure[1] by a reputable source, but it's not my place to share it on a public forum). Simple maths will show you that anyway. If we assume Bloodstock has a capacity of 20,000 and tickets are ~150 quid each, that gives the festival a total budget of 3 million quid to play with[2]. Out of that, they've got to pay for venue hire, staff costs, electricity, insurance and numerous other overheads before you even consider paying the artists. You can see that there's no way a single band would be paid over a million quid. The numbers just don't add up, even allowing for the fact that most of the 100+ artists playing won't get paid.

[1] Well, I know how much they are charging in general for festival appearances, not specifically for Bloodstock. I guess it's possible Bloodstock negotiated a lower number, but that's not generally how these things work, and I'm reasonably confident they'll have paid the standard price or something very close to it.

[2] It's not quite that straightforward, but it's good enough to illustrate the point.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:15 pm
by metalicbear
I might be wrong, but I'm sure I heard from a different festival that ticket sales pay for bands, everything else is paid for by stand pitches, camping, parking, sponsorship, grants, merch and beer sales.

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:48 am
by heavymetal12345
How about just on the Sophie stage , have different theme/Genre each day

Re: Themed stages

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:19 am
by houston4044
metalicbear wrote:I might be wrong, but I'm sure I heard from a different festival that ticket sales pay for bands, everything else is paid for by stand pitches, camping, parking, sponsorship, grants, merch and beer sales.


Varies festival to festival as it depends on who runs it. Livenation events run on a model similar to that but they're able to charge a premium due to their size and reach. It's not be the same for say a BOA or someone else.