First Timer Questions

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Bloodless
Lowly Peon
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:00 am

First Timer Questions

Postby Bloodless » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:42 pm

This will be my first time at Bloodstock, and I've got a few questions.
A) What's are the differences between each camp? (I'd love a quieter space)
B) Comparing to previous years how much is the beer.
C) Any tips for a solitary 29 year old Dad?

Cheers

User avatar
i0th
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:53 pm
Location: Teesside

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby i0th » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Bloodless, welcome to the forum :yes:

A) All the 7 standard campsites are available to standard ticket holders, the quiet campsite is Ragnarok, the other campsites are basically the same but get quieter the further you get from the site. I was in Jotunheim last year and there was only about 20 tents in it, Midgard is the biggest and noisiest campsite. The site map's not currently online however I wouldn't expect any campsite changes this year. Last year's map can be found here - https://www.bloodstock.uk.com/downloads/Bloodstock_Disney_Map_2018.jpg

B) It's gonna be around the £4.50/pint mark.

C) Have you done camping at a festival before? There's a camp loner/newbies group that usually appears on here a few weeks before the fest, think they've got a facebook page too so you might want to look into meeting up with them. The festival arena is really small, only takes a couple of minutes to walk between the two furthest stages so it's really easy to get around. The setlists in the programme are rubbish for keeping track of what's going on, print out a clashfinder just before the festival. There's loads of useful info on the Event Info page and feel free to ask any more questions here.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 pm

You would be more than welcome to join us in Camp Loners and Newbies.

If you go into facebook and search for "bloodstock camp loners and newbies" you will find the group page. I first camped with the group in 2015 (my first festival since 2002 Ozzfest) and they are a lovely bunch. We have an age range of 18 to 50+ and camp in the top corner of Valhalla (campsite next to left of main entrance). Folk come and go as they please and there are always folk around to chat to/have a drink or food with.

The admins from the group usually get to the box office entrance early to meet new folk and give out mobile numbers in case folk get lost.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

User avatar
WorMzy
Denim Demon
Posts: 4984
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dundee
Contact:

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby WorMzy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:19 pm

A) Each camp has it's ups and downs. If you don't want to walk far, Valhalla or Asgard are your best bets. If you want every night to be a mix of drunken foolishness and non-stop party, pick Midgard. If you want a bit of scenery, away from the noise, pick Ironwood or Hel. There is a dedicated "quiet" camp, where noise is prohibited after a certain time, but I forgot which it is now (used to be Hel)
B) Dunno, I think mead was £4.50 last year, but you can't get that outside of the VIP bar (sadly).
C) Don't be a dick. Read this before you pack to come (notably about glass and gas), bags do get searched. Beware of sniper dogs. Enjoy yourself.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed May 01, 2019 6:23 am

Sniper dogs! You are giving me the fear! :o
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

User avatar
robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 605
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 am
Location: Manchester

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby robin8585 » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 am

WorMzy wrote:Beware of sniper dogs


Image

User avatar
Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2055
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: The North.

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby Bizza » Wed May 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Camp in Midgard if you want a good night's sleep.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Methuen
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 am

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby Methuen » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 am

On campsite selection - if you're not in a big group, take a long look at your neighbours before you put up your tent. Nothing worse than realising you've camped next door to fence-jumpers / aggro types just out for a weekend of unpleasantness.

I got a couple of cool guys in denims & mirror shades there just for Priest last year - so everything turned out well !
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

markwalsh99
Lowly Peon
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:51 am

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby markwalsh99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:04 am

Hi,
Here's my GUIDE TO BLOODSTOCK 2019 that may help answer questions for 1st Timers.
http://metalfesteurope.com/wp/2019/03/1 ... val-guide/

My website has guides to other Metal festivals, Packing Checklist and other useful pages. Do check it out.
http://metalfesteurope.com/wp/

cheers

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby suicidal_orange » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:You would be more than welcome to join us in Camp Loners and Newbies.

If you go into facebook and search for "bloodstock camp loners and newbies" you will find the group page. I first camped with the group in 2015 (my first festival since 2002 Ozzfest) and they are a lovely bunch. We have an age range of 18 to 50+ and camp in the top corner of Valhalla (campsite next to left of main entrance). Folk come and go as they please and there are always folk around to chat to/have a drink or food with.

The admins from the group usually get to the box office entrance early to meet new folk and give out mobile numbers in case folk get lost.

I found the facebook group but it wants me to sign up to see anything and that's not going to happen.

If I don't get talking to anyone on the bus on the way can I just turn up and join you? I've been to other festivals but always with people. This will be my first BOA and first time alone, also likely to be my first with a tent I can't stand up in which could be interesting (yes, late decision to come and haven't even got a tent yet :lol:)

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4991
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:11 am

Have a look in your local supermarkets such as Tesco or ASDA, and especially ARGOS as there are some decent deals on tents and other equipment at the moment.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1454
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 am
Location: Bo'ness, West Lothian

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:34 am

suicidal_orange wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:You would be more than welcome to join us in Camp Loners and Newbies.

If you go into facebook and search for "bloodstock camp loners and newbies" you will find the group page. I first camped with the group in 2015 (my first festival since 2002 Ozzfest) and they are a lovely bunch. We have an age range of 18 to 50+ and camp in the top corner of Valhalla (campsite next to left of main entrance). Folk come and go as they please and there are always folk around to chat to/have a drink or food with.

The admins from the group usually get to the box office entrance early to meet new folk and give out mobile numbers in case folk get lost.

I found the facebook group but it wants me to sign up to see anything and that's not going to happen.

If I don't get talking to anyone on the bus on the way can I just turn up and join you? I've been to other festivals but always with people. This will be my first BOA and first time alone, also likely to be my first with a tent I can't stand up in which could be interesting (yes, late decision to come and haven't even got a tent yet :lol:)


You would be more than welcome just to wander up and say hello or to grab a chair and sit and chat/have a drink with us. We are at the top corner of Valhalla near the box office. Just look for a flag with winged bollocks wearing sunglasses!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby suicidal_orange » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:15 am

CharlesDexterWard wrote:You would be more than welcome just to wander up and say hello or to grab a chair and sit and chat/have a drink with us. We are at the top corner of Valhalla near the box office. Just look for a flag with winged bollocks wearing sunglasses!
Thanks, I may well do. Sometimes you worry there may be two flags the same but I don't think that's going to be a problem with this choice :lol:


Gandalf the Red wrote:Have a look in your local supermarkets such as Tesco or ASDA, and especially ARGOS as there are some decent deals on tents and other equipment at the moment.
I'm trying to think bigger picture - this time it's just me at a festival but if I'm going to get a tent it should probably fit 2 in case I find a friend/partner by next year. I was hoping to find one I could fit my bike in to open the possibilities of going on random expeditions but they're all huge (4M long) so not really suited to solo camping especially without a car. Which then brings back the smaller/cheaper just for solo festivals (could better justify using the bike tent for 2) so I could get a small 2 man now. But having looked at options where you can sit on a chair in the 'porch' they aren't so appealing, and a 3 man has the height for that. But I don't want/need 2 big tents so maybe I should forget the bike idea and just get a nice 3 man for festivaling :goggly:

User avatar
WorMzy
Denim Demon
Posts: 4984
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dundee
Contact:

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby WorMzy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:51 am

Remember that tent sizes are very literal. If it says 'two man' , it means it will hold two very intimate men and no gear (or one man and his gear), so always +1 on your capacity requirements when choosing a tent so you have somewhere to store your booze/clothes /etc
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 pm

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby suicidal_orange » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 pm

Not sure how some can even legally be called 2 'man' tents, would 2 'small children' fit in this one? If the poiny bit is 65cm at the front the full length sleeping area can only be 55cm wide if there's no gap at the back, which there is. I want more than that on my own!
Image

This on the other hand looks to be a legit 2 man with space outside the sleeping area for more booze than I could possibly drink in a weekend plus clothes. Not tall enough to sit on a chair in though...
Image

Talking of booze is it safe to assume there will be cans of something available, possibly in the supermarket? Will they sell out by Saturday?