First Timer Questions

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
ThatsAsoundGarden
Lowly Peon

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby ThatsAsoundGarden » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Hey -- newbie to BOA :rock:

I decided last minute to get a Saturday day ticket and I was wondering about a couple of things...

-- Can you get real ale at the bars?
-- I assume you can get a parking ticket as you drive in?
-- what time should I aim to arrive? I have to pick up my ticket from the box office which opens at 10am. I'm only 30 minutes away but I've hit awful traffic on the way to DL before & don't want to make the same mistake of leaving too late.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Dunno about parking/traffic but yes there is ale

Hobogblin is sold at all bars and Lemmy's bar serves more

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm

you can buy parking on the gate.
you won't have any traffic problems. i drive in every day and have never hit a queue.

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:06 pm

Here's an easy one for any veteran: Babymetal t-shirt - good ice breaker or bad idea?

Fourducks
Lowly Peon

Postby Fourducks » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:44 pm

You might get a bit of friendly pisstaking but I've never seen anyone actually bothered by someone else's shirt at Bloodstock. I think they're just within the realms of "metal enough" that people will see it as you being a genuine fan of the band rather than having a laugh though.
Attended: 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, [2019]

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:07 pm

You shouldn't have any hassle for wearing a Baby Metal (or other awful band shirt) but you might get treated as someone who has gone the wrong festival by mistake. :lol:

To be honest I think the wearing of T shirts as a pisstake went out of fashion years ago. It's not really the "done thing" at Bloodstock. It's a bit more serious festival than Download is. Most people are checking out your shirt to see how good the band is rather than how daft they are. Obscure Metal bands from Outer Mongolia are seen as cool, Steel Panther aren't....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Thanks, glad I asked! I'm not a fan but bought the shirt because it's random and colourful, sounds like I should wear one that isn't.

As to looking like I'm at the wrong festival that's a given and I've never heard of 90% of the bands playing which won't help. I liked 5 of the 'famous' ones (no Dimmu so only 4 now) so when I saw the bus picks up in my hometown it was hard to say no. Was planning to check out the other bands to fill in my to see list but instead I got ill and slept a lot. Should have a couple of hours later tonight...

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Some people wear Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber t-shirts for the hell of it. A couple of years ago I wore an Iced Earth t-shirt and another dude with an Iced Earth t-shirt was really happy to see someone else with an Iced Earth t-shirt and wanted to hug about it, That was a strange moment. It's just a fucking t-shirt.

Fourducks
Lowly Peon

Postby Fourducks » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Feel free to say what those 4 bands are and I'll try and recommend some others in the lineup that you should enjoy!

As for shirts etc, Bloodstock is a really welcoming festival and no one is really going to think you don't fit in. Just take your favourite ones and wear them proudly.

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:21 pm

Thanks! The bands I like are Parkway Drive
actually no, I've never heard them!

Swallow the Sun, Eluveitie, Anthrax and I'll replace Saurr (who aren't who I thought they were :oops:) with Countless Skies. I liked old Children of Bodom with dualing guitars but not sure how they're going to work live now...

As long as I can make out the lyrics all good, and that doesn't mean clean vocals (realising the above mostly are!)

I don't have a collection of band shirts either, it's been a while. I plan to buy some based on the above criteria, if the band's good that would be a bonus.

Black Wizard wrote:It's just a fucking t-shirt.

Exactly - just because I'm wearing a shirt doesn't mean I'm aware what's on it!

Fourducks
Lowly Peon

Postby Fourducks » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:48 pm

Good selection of bands that, I will be watching all except Countless Skies (who I really like and have seen twice but clash with Powerwolf!). Based on those I would recommend checking out:

• Rotting Christ [Thursday Sophie Stage, 9:45] - Pioneers of the Greek Black Metal scene, a real legendary band. They now make a melodic, ritualistic style of metal that is really invigorating to watch live and I am ecstatic that they've booked such a good band for the party atmosphere of Thursday night!
  • Death Angel [Friday Main Stage, 12:45] - Bay Area thrash which may be up your alley if you like Anthrax. Less Traditional influences than Anthrax but similar sound.
  • Metal Church [Friday Main Stage, 1:45] - US Heavy Metal with a good dose of thrash influence, particular favourite songs include Fake Healer, Beyond the Black and Watch the Children Pray.
  • Grand Magus [Friday Sophie Stage, 10:40] - Swedish Heavy Metal, they play a groovy, riff heavy style of Heavy Metal with some great singalong choruses. Fave tracks include Ravens Guide Our Way, Like the Oar Strikes the Water, Sword of the Ocean.
  • Helheim [Saturday Sophie Stage, 4:25] - Norwegian band running since 1992, style heavily influenced by Viking Metal pioneers Bathory if you are familiar with them. Black Metal but slower and with a more epic vibe to it. I am not massively familiar with them but what I've heard sounds up my alley and I will be seeing them.
  • Ross the Boss [Sunday Main Stage, 12:35] - Like Manowar? Want to watch their classics played by their original and importantly non-pedophile guitarist? I thought so. I've only heard great things about Ross live and with legendary Judas Priest axeman KK Downing appearing too I reckon the field will be packed and singing along loudly.
  • Soilwork [Sunday Main Stage, 13:50] - Swedish Melodic Death with a great vocalist. Bjorn "Speed" Strid which you may enjoy as you mentioned Countless Skies. That said the couple times I've seen them in a festival environment haven't impressed to be honest, their sound seems to suffer a lot.
  • Hypocrisy [Sunday Main Stage, 2:55] - Swedish Melodic Death but heavier on the Death Metal side. I'm going to miss them to catch Boss Keloid but you may like them based on some combination of Countless Skies, Swallow the Sun. Check out Roswell 47, Fractured Millenium, Valley of the Damned if interested.
  • Queensryche [Sunday Main Stage, 7:15] - Special Guests after Dimmu pulled out. To be honest they aren't massively like your mentioned bands but if you're into proggy US Heavy/Power Metal with great clean vocals then I'd recommend a watch. My personal picks would be Eyes of a Stranger, Empire, Operation: Mindcrime, Breaking the Silence, The Lady Wore Black, Queen of the Reich.

Hopefully that gives you a few things to check out and you like some of it!

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 pm

Thanks for the detailed write up :yes:

Hard to skip to the next band while enjoying one but had to be done, seems you have my taste so I may well watch all of them. I'm still not 100% so time for yet another early night then tomorrow I'm going to wake up feeling great.