First Timer Questions

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Re: First Timer Questions

Postby suicidal_orange » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:16 pm

Haha, good point Gandalf! Though when it comes to things where taste is involved what you call shit I may like, so it's not so clear cut.

The cider options should be good but not sure I can manage a whole weekend while trying to avoid spending any longer than I have to in the toilets...

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Nah. I really mean it.

You aren't going to be getting Belgium's finest just the shite they have in places like Academy's. If it was a big name such as Carlsberg or Heineken then surely it would have been announced by now as all the other corporate names are there.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Splekks
Lowly Peon

Postby Splekks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:36 pm

They had Hobgoblin Gold and IPA on draught last year, both are fizzy and yellow.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:43 am

We all have a pop at the line up and such but really cannot fault the beer or the service

Certainly none of these half hour queues or salty beer

Pretty damn well kept ale from what I remember

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am

So long as there is mead in the VIP bar, I'll be a happy camper.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

suicidal_orange
Powermetal Child

Postby suicidal_orange » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:37 am

Glad to hear that varangian as having put tent, sleeping bag and chair in my very big bag there doesn't seem to be much room left for beer as well as clothes.

Never tried mead, won't be here either as I'm only a pleb :lol:

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 am

The ales and ciders in VIP were excellent last year. Especially the Chili and Ginger cider and the rhubarb cider.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:00 am

varangian wrote:We all have a pop at the line up and such but really cannot fault the beer or the service

Oh we can. The Hobgoblin is usually undrinkable after the first day. And that's generally it. You end up having to go on the awful lager to avoid a weekend of dysentery.

As for service it's often terrible. Young student types who can't even pour a pint of lager and I can't remember the times I've been given the wrong drink as half of them just pick up the nearest thing. No, I didn't want cider and understand they are a similar colour. :rolleyes:

That's unless you pay for VIP of course....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Postby dvl666 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:31 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
varangian wrote:We all have a pop at the line up and such but really cannot fault the beer or the service

Oh we can. The Hobgoblin is usually undrinkable after the first day. And that's generally it. You end up having to go on the awful lager to avoid a weekend of dysentery.

As for service it's often terrible. Young student types who can't even pour a pint of lager and I can't remember the times I've been given the wrong drink as half of them just pick up the nearest thing. No, I didn't want cider and understand they are a similar colour. :rolleyes:

I've never had any of those problems you've mentioned there and I've never done vip, maybe the bar staff just hate you :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm

dvl666 wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

I've never had any of those problems you've mentioned there and I've never done vip, maybe the bar staff just hate you :lol:

It's not just me though. There have been numerous complaints over the years in the post festival threads about poor service at the bars. More from the student types who probably don't care as long as they are getting paid rather than the people who look like they fit. Nor from the Hob Gob stalls.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's not just me though. There have been numerous complaints over the years in the post festival threads about poor service at the bars. More from the student types who probably don't care as long as they are getting paid rather than the people who look like they fit. Nor from the Hob Gob stalls.

I've never noticed any complaints about the bar - the service is always fine and their aren't long queues. The beer is always shit, but it generally is at any festival.

There are regular complaints about the things that are actually crap - i.e. the late night Sophie stage entertainment and the crap music played by the 4DJs

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:25 pm

You'd think "Someone Shit" would be a good name for a portaloo vendor. :P

I wonder if that company's still responsible for the urinals...
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

ThatsAsoundGarden
Lowly Peon

Postby ThatsAsoundGarden » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 pm

Hey -- newbie to BOA :rock:

I decided last minute to get a Saturday day ticket and I was wondering about a couple of things...

-- Can you get real ale at the bars?
-- I assume you can get a parking ticket as you drive in?
-- what time should I aim to arrive? I have to pick up my ticket from the box office which opens at 10am. I'm only 30 minutes away but I've hit awful traffic on the way to DL before & don't want to make the same mistake of leaving too late.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Dunno about parking/traffic but yes there is ale

Hobogblin is sold at all bars and Lemmy's bar serves more

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:15 pm

you can buy parking on the gate.
you won't have any traffic problems. i drive in every day and have never hit a queue.