Recommend an album from this years line up!

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
ChromeX
Warrior of Metal

Recommend an album from this years line up!

Postby ChromeX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:59 am

Greetings all, getting close to that time of year again and I cant believe this thread hasnt already been made.

In here we recommend an album from one of the bands playing, to give those who might not have heard too much a chance to get into them before the festival. Got into a lot of bands this way in years past thanks to the recommendations of you forum peeps :yes:

I'll get the ball rolling:

Eluveitie - Helvetios
I was getting really into melo death at the time I first heard this and features quite a lot on this album which you might not first expect from a band billed as a folk-metal band. For a lot of people who arent sure about eluveitie or think they might be a bit "soft" give this a blast.

Queensrÿche - Operation mindcrime
Bit of an obvious one but, in my opinion, it's up there with 2112 and scenes from a memory. It's almost guaranteed there will be a track or two from this being played on the Sunday.
BOA: '09 '10 '11 '13 '14 '16 '17 '18 '19
Alt-fraud: '14

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Recommend an album from this years line up!

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 am

Death Angel - The Ultraviolence.
I bought it on vinyl in 1987 shortly after its release and it still has a great production sound. Excellent music, Kill as One and Voracious Souls are my favourites.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Demon
Lowly Peon

Postby Demon » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:27 am

Skeletal Remains - Devouring Mortality.
Although this album only came out last year, this was an instant classic for me. For those who like Obituary and death metal. We are likely to hear a lot of songs from this album in their set at Bloodstock.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:26 am

ChromeX wrote:Greetings all, getting close to that time of year again and I cant believe this thread hasnt already been made.

In here we recommend an album from one of the bands playing, to give those who might not have heard too much a chance to get into them before the festival. Got into a lot of bands this way in years past thanks to the recommendations of you forum peeps :yes:

I'll get the ball rolling:

Eluveitie - Helvetios
I was getting really into melo death at the time I first heard this and features quite a lot on this album which you might not first expect from a band billed as a folk-metal band. For a lot of people who arent sure about eluveitie or think they might be a bit "soft" give this a blast.

Queensrÿche - Operation mindcrime
Bit of an obvious one but, in my opinion, it's up there with 2112 and scenes from a memory. It's almost guaranteed there will be a track or two from this being played on the Sunday.

Helvetios is firmly inside my list of top 10 all time favourite albums - cracking choice

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:43 am

Wildhearts - Earth Vs The Wildhearts. Ginger Wildheart is the greatest living British songwriter and this album shows him at his eloquent best

Footprints In The Custard - Every Hole Is a Goal. An absolutely disgusting album which no human with a shred of decency within their soul should listen to. If however you feel you're already on the slippery slopes to Satan's own furnaces, you might chortle at 'Every STD in the book' or THAT song about Hayley Williams

Death Angel - The Evil Divide. Has all the fluid guitar work of earlier works, but Mark Osegueda seemed to acquire a more punchy, almost hardcore delivery in places and there are some cracking tunes on there. For me, Death Angel's most rounded album

Guardians of Time - Tearing Up The World. Uncomplicated, old school metal

Blood Red Hourglass - Godsend. Melodeth with plenty of epic flourishes

Sabaton - The Art Of War. Easily their best album. Contains live staples 'Ghost Division', '40 to 1', 'The Price Of A Mile' and 'Swedish Pagans'

ChromeX
Warrior of Metal

Postby ChromeX » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:09 pm

phuqsticks wrote:Helvetios is firmly inside my list of top 10 all time favourite albums - cracking choice

Thank you good sir! I really do think if this hadn't been one of the first of their albums I heard, I probably wouldn't be into them as much as I am

Keep the recommendations coming guys! :rock:

bloodblind
Consort of the Beast

Postby bloodblind » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:55 pm

Cradle of filth - cruelty and the beast
Soilwork- natural born chaos
Soulfly - dark ages / conquer
Children of bodom - hatebreeder
Hypocrisy - abducted / osculum obscenum

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:49 pm

You may as well just go to Setlist FM find out what songs they are likely to play and listen to them either on there or another website such as Spotify or even YouTube.

Listening to an obscure album they don't play anything from is a bit pointless if you don't know the band anyway.

As an example here is the latest Metal Church set list.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/metal-ch ... ecfb4.html

I would recommend their first album. But is it worth listening to it as an introduction to the band if they are only going to play one song from it?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

ChromeX
Warrior of Metal

Postby ChromeX » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:37 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:But is it worth listening to it as an introduction to the band if they are only going to play one song from it?

Oh absolutely it is! I've got into plenty of bands on the strength of one album before, bands which I wouldn't have checked out otherwise, unless someone gave me a strong starting point to work through their back catalogue from.

Good example for me were carcass, someone in a thread like this recommended heartwork many years ago, before they played '09; never heard carcass before. Didn't matter that they only played about 2 songs from the album when I actually saw them headline, because of that album I had a good idea what to expect and what they were about when I finally did see them.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 am

Guess the debut "Metal Church" is what most people would plump for but I prefer Mike Howe and thus 1991`s "The Human Factor" comes recommended

Cradle of Filth are apparently(!) remastering "Cruelty and the beast" , its getting heavy rotation in their current setlist and they are sounding better than they have for absolutely years in a live setting, very impressed.

Ross the Boss 2010 album "Hailstorm", although i`m doubting he`ll play anything from it. Certainly knows how to pen a tune and a melody, Manowar lost a lot when he left and he certainly can still write them.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:01 am

Powerwolf - Blessed & Possessed - they got three songs off it for Wacken, and learning the words to Armata Strigoi is, pardon the rhyme, a joy.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:27 am

Parkway Drive - Reverence
Scorpions - World Wide Live or Love at First Sting
Grand Magus - Iron Will
Boss Keloid - Herb Your Enthusiasm
Witch Tripper - Witch Tripper
Pemphigoid - Where Hope Comes To Die
XERO - Dimensions

On Gandalf's point, I've been compiling a Bloodstock playlist based on bands recent setlists if anyone wants to check it out:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3us0u ... VIf2xq028w