Dear Joey DeMaio

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
breadlord
Lowly Peon

Dear Joey DeMaio

Postby breadlord » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:38 pm

Since you're probably here and all butthurt...

Ross the Boss smashed it.

Sorry.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Re: Dear Joey DeMaio

Postby varangian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:19 am

Absolutely!

Superb set, very happy looking band all enjoying themselves

Very gracious to let KK Downing join them and he himself looked well and throwing some classic shapes, have to say they sounded awesome throwing out those Priest classics

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:20 am

Hearing 'Hail and Kill' and 'The Green Manalishi' absolutely made up for Saturday.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:24 am

Outstanding performance and both of them were very pleasant when I met them later.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:36 am

breadlord wrote:Since you're probably here and all butthurt...

Sorry.

Why would he be here? :?

Yep. I bet he's really unhappy with all the royalties he's just earned by doing absolutely nothing....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:

Sorry.

Yep. I bet he's really unhappy with all the royalties he's just earned by doing absolutely nothing....

I'm pretty sure you don't get royalties for live performances. Maybe if they showed it somewhere...
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:

Sorry.

I imagine Ross is fine with the royalties he gets from the manowar end of things.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 pm

Skippy wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:

Sorry.

I'm pretty sure you don't get royalties for live performances. Maybe if they showed it somewhere...

Not if you are playing in your local. But I believe you do for live performances with paying audiences.

Don't forget that until recently if staff in restaurants sang Happy Birthday they had to pay royalties.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birthday_to_You

Do you think that a person who is quite litigious isn't going to ask for his dues especially since the festival performance is probably all over the internet? He's still got to pay the bills.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:05 pm

If that were the case, how would bands like Hanowar or Womenowar get to play the festival - there's no way they could afford to pay Joey every time they did a live show. I know its a different stage, but unless the main stage is broadcast somewhere, surely they can't have to pay.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, I'm genuinely curious as to how it works. If Bloodstock have to pay for it, do they have to ask every single band playing if they plan on covering any songs, and then pay for the rights?
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

breadlord
Lowly Peon

Postby breadlord » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:10 am

It's more down to him absolutely HATING people getting to hear Manowar songs without a roadie coming on every five minutes to remind people to buy their overpriced official merch.

I never thought I liked the music, but turns out I was wrong - I just don't like the real band's 'Aldi Kiss' way of going about stuff.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:35 am

Gandalf the Red wrote: Why would he be here? :?

Clearly a sarcastic comment/joke that sailed over your head
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:51 am

breadlord wrote:Ross the Boss smashed it.

Indeed he did. As did Womenowar a few hours later.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:28 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Skippy wrote:I'm pretty sure you don't get royalties for live performances. Maybe if they showed it somewhere...

Not if you are playing in your local. But I believe you do for live performances with paying audiences.

The artist covering the song live doesn't need a licence to perform the songs but the venue requires a licence for the artist to cover the songs. https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/advice/do-y ... ver-songs/

"You do not need permission to cover a song live. Performances in the UK are covered by a venue’s PRS license but cover songs will need their own license.
This is done by getting permission from the rightsholder and in the UK, this is through MCPS. Copyright is attributed to the original songwriter whenever a song is written or recorded, provided that there is tangible evidence."

So Joey probably does get royalties from Ross the Boss and Womenowar shows. I hope he uses the extra cash to make his mother's basement a bit more comfortable.

This license is probably the reason that Iron Maiden dropped 'Hallowed be thy Name' when Bazza McKay was sueing on behalf of the guy from Beckett. Some of the lyrics were stolen from a song so venues wouldn't have been comfortable having an unlicensed song being performed live.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Must be a nightmare for people that organise cover band fests. :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.