BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:14 am

Here we go folks.. hope everyone had a great time this year. New 2020 sections will be up soon, in the meantime let the organisers know what you thought.

What did Bloodstock do right? What needs improvement? What didn't work? Highlights? Lowlights?

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby varangian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:49 am

The Good:

Friendly staff
quality well kept ale(At least what I was drinking)
Saturday Day tickets rolled over to Sunday, really classy thumbs up!
KK Downing-like to think you have helped metal history there, was very special

The Bad:

Can`t do much about the wet weather

the ugly:

Not everyone is so agile, glad I wasn't disabled or unsteady on my feet, can the organizers not put down bark or sawdust along the main route or esp near the toilets?

The wind

The well fed Indian guy with gut and arse hanging out

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:59 am

Good:
-Most of the bands, in particular Sabaton, Grand Magus, Anthrax, Parkway Drive, Soilwork and Queensryche.
-The rainbow over the Dio stage during Tessaract's set.

Bad:
-The weather obviously.
-No Hippy Chippy.

Ugly:
-The path from the car park to the festival site was treacherous for most of the weekend. Really needed something putting down. Special mention to the genius who tried to drive down it on Sunday morning and got very stuck.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 am

Good:
Staff as always really helpful and an actual pleasure to deal with.
Queue for the SL goodie bag seemed much better this year.

Bad:
Not having alternatives to the headliners on the other stages.
Not enough bark or straw to soak up the bigger mud patches.

Ugly:
Lack of timely communication about the problems on the main stage via social media and the app. We only knew about Anthrax being back on due to another festival goer despite regular checks on social media and the app. I should not have to hang around the main stage for hours for updates. The issues weren't BOA's fault at all but the crap communication about it was.

Suggestion for next year:
Make it easier to see groups of bands on the band page by genre. BOA put a lot of effort into the New Blood and Sophie but not everybody has the time to explore all of the lesser known bands ahead of time. Would be nice if I could get a simple list by genre to reduce the work I have to put in.

pinhead0303
Consort of the Beast

Postby pinhead0303 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

Only a lowlight for me! Only went for the Sunday, wasn't happy when the only band I wanted to see (Dimmu Borgir) cancelled, but okay these things happen, was really happy that Batushka stepped in, turned up to see them on Sunday and had to endure that fucking screaming pixie Dani Filth yapping on about gobstoppers trying to pretend he has a sense of humour. I was majorly pissed off! I'm guessing it was probably down to CoF not being able to play Saturday for some reason?

Just scanning FB, are you fucking kidding me, Batushka played the Sophie stage? Not one person I know or spoke to at the festival knew that. ffs, put things like that up on the main screens for a good few minutes (if not for all the time between bands) so people actually know instead of repeating the shitty video clips. Showing the New Blood bands was okay, but seriously, every time. Easily my worst ever experience of Bloodstock, what with the booking the way it mainly is these days the core kids can have it.

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 am

The good
Great friendly atmosphere most of the bands I saw , friday only .
The bad
Wet weather muddy conditions , soulfly who are truly awfull .
The ugly
Price of food in the arena , and now for my main gripe it's a long walk from the carpark even worse in muddy conditions, I did manage it but due to increasing mobility issues I don't know for how much longer . Needs either a closer car park or more shuttle buses.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Good: The atmosphere, people, staff, Powerwolf and Death Angel

Bad: weather, food prices.

Ugly: Getting really ill on Friday night (not BOA related just a standard hazard of life) and missing both Saturday and Sunday. The bruises on my arm from when I fell over on the mudslide(path) from the car park.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:50 am

The Good
The atmosphere - everyone from the staff to the fans were absolutely fantastic this year all across the weekend
The bands - To be honest even the bands I didn't like at least put on a decent show from what I could see. No obvious blowouts, and an overall good weekend.
The queue (or lack thereof) on Thursday - Last few years have been a nightmare for the past few years but this time around no such issues and straight in. Kudos for whoever changed things around
Changes to the bins - Not only did people generally use the new bin system well and there was generally less crap everywhere, but it also removed most of the nonsense during the nights from what I saw - so win-win!

The Bad
The weather - Not the worst it could have been but the ground was definitely getting a bit worse for wear by Sunday night.
Scheduling and Announcements - It was understandable with the issues on Saturday that there would be bands moving around and it was fine having the app with updates to changes on, but it may have been beneficial to have some notices or something up for those with bad connections/no wi-fi.

The Ugly
Some absolute morons trying to start fights with the older people at the front at the end of Scorpions and one who kept trying to crowdsurf over a lot of people who clearly couldn't support him. Fortunately didn't escalate too much but did leave a bit of a sour note.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

The Good

The bands - couple were just ok but the majority of bands I saw all put in really good performances

The organisers and crew for juggling things around when the weather issues hit on Saturday and making sure that every band got to play. And for honouring Saturday wristbands for the Sunday in case folk wanted to see Cradle of Filth - that was a nice touch.

The improved recycling facilities - that's been a long time coming

The service and selection of drinks at the bar

Security - saw a couple of them in the campsite trying to make sure someone's tent didn't blow away but when it did collapse, they got all of the guy's stuff together, put it to one side and waited for someone to come back to give them the news.

The rotisserie chicken and paella food stalls

The Bad
The weather - wasn't quite as bad as I'd feared when I first saw the forecast but obviously was a bit rubbish. I know the organisers can't control the weather, but they should have had the foresight to put some straw or wood chippings down in the worst areas to try and make things better - particularly the journey back to the car park.

Next year's announcement - really wasn't worth the hype and was very underwhelming.

Selection and quality of food options has decreased overall in the last couple of years. Not only with the loss of deli-kate but no hippy chippy this year either. Prices and portion sizes at a lot of the food vans are really starting to take the piss now as well.

The communication about the schedule changes on Saturday could have been better. Updating an app or social media that people can't use because there's barely any signal on site isn't any good - they needed to have these changes regularly on the screens.

The Ugly
As someone else already mentioned, the portly Asian fella who spent most of the weekend with his gut and arse hanging out.

The state of my boots when we got back this morning.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:14 pm

pinhead0303 wrote:Only a lowlight for me! Only went for the Sunday, wasn't happy when the only band I wanted to see (Dimmu Borgir) cancelled, but okay these things happen, was really happy that Batushka stepped in, turned up to see them on Sunday and had to endure that fucking screaming pixie Dani Filth yapping on about gobstoppers trying to pretend he has a sense of humour. I was majorly pissed off! I'm guessing it was probably down to CoF not being able to play Saturday for some reason?

Just scanning FB, are you fucking kidding me, Batushka played the Sophie stage? Not one person I know or spoke to at the festival knew that. ffs, put things like that up on the main screens for a good few minutes (if not for all the time between bands) so people actually know instead of repeating the shitty video clips. Showing the New Blood bands was okay, but seriously, every time. Easily my worst ever experience of Bloodstock, what with the booking the way it mainly is these days the core kids can have it.

Seriously? It was announced loads of times and there was posters all over the place telling of the changes. :?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Bad points.

Not enough toilets and half of them were locked off constantly. Felt sorry for the ladies cleaning them though. Definitely needs more proper urinals.

Too many people with chairs. Most of them throwing their shite left over food under them. Get off your lazy arse you fat bastards. Not aimed at disabled or older people. Just people who run around mad for most of the festival then sit down right in the way with no consideration of others.

Too many people still leaving stuff and littering. At least put your shite in a pile for the cleaners. Better still, dispose of it properly.

Dickheads doing karate chops and trying to start pits at inappropriate bands. YOU DON'T DO CIRCLE PITS AT BLACK METAL GIGS MORONS.

Good points.

Most people were fine. A few knobheads, which is expected. Staff brilliant. Especially the lads and lasses on the Red Bull tent and Hobgoblin stalls.

Excellent announcement. Sacred Reich and Dark Tranquillity has sold me a ticket.

Weather was fine. Man up FFS. It's only a bit of water.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:42 pm

Yeah it was shit. Best festival ever!

I'll do mine later, but I don't have many bad points at all. It was a familiar Bloodstock that felt like home, and that's just the way I like it.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:05 pm

Good:
Staff and security were fantastic as always, queues into the arena kept moving steadily, and entry on Thursday has never been easier.
Decent selection of vegan options (albeit pricey and seemingly mostly at the farthest end of the arena from the main stage).
Communication from Bloodstock through the app, though the discover/wall part could do with another look before next year. Found it refreshing and showing old posts over new ones.
WiFi was a nice touch and reasonably priced, though access was intermittent at times. Bound to happen when there’s so many connected to it.
Bulleitt bar and their picklebacks!
Seeing a few familiar faces, just a shame I didn’t get chance to speak to everyone!

Bad:
Fucking hate mud. Not the organisers fault, though.
Food/drink prices in general painfully high.
Was there a shortage on merch ahead of the festival? Asked on Thursday evening for an XXL/XL red BOA shirt and was told they only had S/M/L left. Similarly, one of my mates was after a Ross the Boss shirt and was told they only had small left an hour after he played..

Ugly:
Aforementioned chap with his arse out.
My awful attempt and immediate failure at the log press (side note - encouraging people who’ve been drinking to lift heavy shit seems like an injury waiting to happen, surely?)
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:57 pm

Good
The bands. Watched very few dodgy sets throughout the weekend. Sabaton, Powerwolf, Eluvieite, Ross the Boss and Grand Magus in particular smashed it. Even Parkway were good.
The lack of queues. The festival felt quieter than previous years, but not having to queue for hours to get in this year felt amazing, and the lack of queues for the bogs, for food, for everything felt lovely.
Really friendly staff
Really friendly people.
Some actually edible food.

Bad
The weather. Not Bloodstock's fault, but they didn't feel prepared. They could have put some sawdust down or something.
Similarly, the issues with the wind. There was a lack of communication, and again they just didn't feel prepared.
Prices. The food was decent, but not decent enough to be charging £8 for a sausage.
The announcement for next year. Really doesn't float my boat in any way.

Ugly
The mud. Particularly the sloped bit walking back to the car.
People. Mankinis are never acceptable.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

grimjim
Warrior of Metal

Postby grimjim » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:25 pm

the ugly: ( prefer to end on a good note ) the human shite on the path in Ragnarok... man you must have been desperate lol.
Me on thursday.... truely embarrassed i passed out in the wrong tent, im very greatful to the guy that discovered me for not giving me a few digs and showsec for not chucking me out..... also appreciate the good sense of humour about it the next day.
I like my core but the crowd killing pussies annoy the hell out of me, i don't wanna be ejected for levelling a fool.
The pathways throughout the venue really need dealing with when muddy, im physically fairly fit and came close to injury a few times.... mainly when leaving was a real put-off. midgard disgusting as ever litter wise.

the bad: ( nobodies fault but ) the weather the sun was ace the rain was bad but the constant on off of it was real annoying..... noise in the quiet camp after midnight.... shut the buck up..... seriously. noodle bar this year chicken was ace noodles were gross and tasted like earth. seemed like a lot of issues with slots this year etc has been smoother before.....

the good: pie maker sausage roll and chips £6 made me very happy, the bands i did see were ace, had to leave through thy art as misplaced my wallet but they were great, dee snider ace brill humour too, masters call bloody mint, anakim, parkway, cresent, bloodred hourglass, hypocrisy, and many more were awesome had a great time, not as fun as previously but that may have been more me. hats off to the security staff as usual and fellow tidy bloodstockers at least leaving a few full bin bags tied up in a pile for cleaners. bins with lids in arena were great a lot less wasps around this year.
i will never be able to answer what you asked of me...... Because something much more interesting just happened on the T.V.!