BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Good:
- toilets in the arena
- lack of queues to access the site
- roaming rotisserie chicken and donut/coffee stalls. Great service from both and word obviously spread about the quality of the chicken as the queues increased steadily over the weekend. I told her she was in a special pitch, previously occupied by DeliKate; not sure she believed me at first. Glad she was an independent too !
- Shuttle service - amazing guys who helped me a lot
- Bands - all the bands I wanted to see put in great performances
-The Main Stage Crew - well done for Saturday, hope you get to catch up on your sleep soon

Bad:
- mud - but nothing we can do about it
- the previously mentioned man - who was also taking chairs and beer near us FFS
- car park stewards - if you feel the need to tell someone in a wheelchair to "walk" to the site rather than use the shuttle designed for the purpose; you are definitely in the wrong job

Ugly
- maybe I am too fussy after working for DeliKate but the woman at Loaded Dogz with inch long false nails and no gloves using said nails to open bread rolls was vile;
- but not as vile as the BBQ Shack near the Bulleit Bar who (without wearing gloves or apron) took money, put her hand in her mouth to pick food from between her teeth and then immediately picked up a bread roll to fill for a customer! When said customer rightly complained and demanded her money back, the girl did not have a clue what she had done wrong. Duly reported to the manager (who did not seem bothered) but formal complaint submitted to the catering franchisers.
- aforementioned drunk man on Sunday with the addition of what appeared to be curry all down his face in addition to his lack of belt issues

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Good:
- All of the bands that I was looking forward to were at least 'good', with many being much better than that. My top three sets were from Queensryche, Dee Snider, and Sabaton
- Discovering a few new bands which I shall check out further in due course
- The fact it took me about 10 minutes from getting off the Lichfield shuttle bus to get to where I would eventually erect my tent (that same walk took about 2 hours last year!)
- The toilets were, mostly, all clean
- The paella stall, including their fresh lemonade. I ate there every lunchtime!
- The fact that everyone who camped near me was fairly quiet, meaning that decent sleeps could be had

Bad:
- Lack of preparation for the mud. I've been to much smaller fests (with much less of a budget and infrastructure than BOA) who immediately threw down sawdust/hay/whatever to stop the mud getting so bad
- This has always been an issue for me, but I get sick of seeing/hearing the same 5/6 adverts on the main stage screens. The wind actually did us a favour on the Saturday as we didn't have to endure them! I don't know why they don't just play random music over the PA like ever other venue (and indeed the Sophie tent)
- Although...the fact that the fairground rides play really generic rock/metal music very loudly at all times, sometimes bleeding into the Sophie tent, is the other side of the same issue. I think one of them had Appetite for Destruction on repeat nearly all weekend. There's enough music going on without needing their input too!
- Food prices. I think they were the same as last year though, so at least there wasn't an increase!
- All the hype for the 2020 announcement, only for it to contain some pretty bland offerings

Ugly:
- That same guy with his trousers around his knees...Jesus wept
- Dani Filth's voice
- The state of my back and ankles this morning!

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

samlewis45 wrote:- This has always been an issue for me, but I get sick of seeing/hearing the same 5/6 adverts on the main stage screens. The wind actually did us a favour on the Saturday as we didn't have to endure them! I don't know why they don't just play random music over the PA like ever other venue (and indeed the Sophie tent)

yep, was great when they took the screens down and just stuck And Justice For All on instead.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 am

The Good -

Bar staff - really cheerful the whole time, despite the constant tech problems / beer problems / some people problems. Special shout to the girls in the Red Bull tent that got soaked the whole time as it offered no protection from the rain when serving / standing near the bar.

Friday / Sunday lineups - Excellent choices, really felt like old Bloodstock, having a big stupid sing-along on the Main stage.

Roving security patrols in the campsites - Great idea, especially as this year seemed to have a concentration of "I'm desperately looking for a fight" types in Valhalla, for some reason.

The Bad -

The Jaeger stage killed the ability to hear the Main stage for anyone standing near the back. Move the Jaeger stage to the edge somewhere, maybe sacrifice one of the burger stands ?

Flat Hobgoblin - please don't let the bar staff pre-pour ale like that - you end up with this horrific flat brown water.

The Ugly -

The noise from the fairground rides really made a negative impact on a few of the less blast-y sets in the Sophie tent - get them to turn the music down ?

The mud - you can't control the weather, but you can lay some wood chip / straw / etc. It got done in the main car park, with gravel, so someone had thought about it.

The daft path from the main car park to the site - that needs to be levelled, or you need to close the road to use as a path. At some point someone is going to break a leg.

The prices at the food stands is ridiculous - 7.50 for three slices of bacon and a bread roll ? That needs to be sorted out radically, otherwise people will just stop buying it.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:49 am

GOOD: Security staff were great; the guys handing out the rain protectors at VIP were genuinely nice dudes. The bumper cars of course, but seemed to be less people on em this year. Bark chips down around VIP was a godsend, but could definitely have used more. The Mac and cheese stand was good.

BAD: VIP toilets kept running out of water and towels. Gotta keep that shizz stocked. A few things that let the side down on that front. The food places are definitely getting more expensive and stingy with portions. The "Meat Feast" had three pepperoni slices on it... not exactly the meat feast I had envisioned... Oh and also the smell of weed every ten seconds. I did feel the choice of Saturday's headliners definitely brought out the saucepan lid heads and thus the stench of weed every ten seconds pretty much at every point in the arena.

UGLY: Weather but what can ya do. My tent held up, our gazebo did not. The guy camping behind me who would get blackout drunk, collapse in his tent and snore so loud, I thought a Gorilla was being mauled. By the Saturday I was about ready to do some damage to him. I had visions of a prison shanking, but in the end constructed a clever earplug device out of socks and a rubber band. OK it was shit, but it kinda helped. Oh and we forgot our entire clothes bag at home, necessitating a trip around the camp shops to purchase stuff to get us through. Oddly enough, in previous years I have managed to find alan keys and even a screwdriver (for other ailments). Can you find a pair of womens' panties? Nope, nada one. Going commando the whole weekend took a significant amount of bravery. But it gave me an excuse to by a Jesus is a Cunt shirt.

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:55 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Bad points.

Too many people with chairs. Most of them throwing their shite left over food under them. Get off your lazy arse you fat bastards. Not aimed at disabled or older people. Just people who run around mad for most of the festival then sit down right in the way with no consideration of others.

Absolutely spot on, it's getting fucking ridiculous the amount of chairs, Sunday especially.
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:23 am

Good:
Meeting up with regular friends in VIP and making some new ones. Great just to sit and chat and chill out.

Security seemed more relaxed this year and a special shout out to the guys on the barrier for Anthrax. Great effort with the crowd surfers and they earned their pay!

Sacred Reich and Vio-Lence being announced, confirms my attendance next year (and I get bingo points for Sacred Reich).

Anthrax being on brilliant form yet again - stunning set.

Ross the Boss/KK Downing and Dee Snider playing excellent sets. Getting to meet them all was a bonus and all three were total gentlemen.

The VIP silent disco - silly fun and kept me there for hours.

Bad:
The coach from Edinburgh taking 8 hours to get to BOA - I can fly to America quicker. The driver was new and had no sat nav and I had to give him repeated help with directions. I felt sorry for him as he was getting quite wound up and embarrassed but Big Green Coach need to use drivers who know the BOA route. I will fly down next year.

The price of the arena food/portion size - I go to the same stalls most years and there was definitely less food for more cost. I am on a medication level that means I have to eat properly so it was a bit of a sod.

The state of the arena entrance and paths - straw or wood chips was badly needed as it was like a skating rink.

Ugly:
The drunk guys who had an argument/near fight late one night in VIP. I understand that folk can have a few and tempers get frayed but I thought there was going to be a kicking dished out. Not pleasant to have to listen to.

The state of my hiking boots - going to be some serious cleaning needed!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am

Good
-No ridiculous queue to get in on Thursday!
-General atmosphere around the site
-Toilets at the back of midgard - always clean and well stocked.
-My tent holding up depite the weather.
-Footprints, Powerwolf, Sabaton,Grand Magus, Helheim, Eluvietie
-Lancaster flyover on the Sunday

Bad
-The Storm on friday, gazebo destroying wind on Saturday. May ours R.I.P.
-The total lack of action from the organizers after all the main walkways around the site turned to shite after the rain on Friday, that path from the crossing to the carpark was lethal on Monday morning. VIP got some woodchips though I see :rolleyes:
-Food prices\selection. Definetly getting worse on both counts. Less Easy Cheesy aka Gourmet Burger stands and more independent traders needed next year.
-Noisy fairground rides bleeing into the Sophie tent
-Jager stage drowing out the mainstage if you stood to close to it.
-The supermarket in Midgard blasting jungle music until 6am Friday morning -made sure I didn't use the place after that.
-My tent turning into Spider Central.
-Scorpions - not sure if the vocalist was on something or just having an off day but he sounded awful.

Ugly
-Overhearing some old guy working on fat franks camping store saying the storm on friday destroying peoples tents was "Great, really" Cunt.
-Increased reports of thefts from stalls, pickpocketing ect
-Getting ill and missing Dee Snider on Sunday.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:20 am

JPMC wrote:Oh and also the smell of weed every ten seconds. I did feel the choice of Saturday's headliners definitely brought out the saucepan lid heads and thus the stench of weed every ten seconds pretty much at every point in the arena.

If this is the first time you've regularly smelled weed at Bloodstock then I don't know where you've been as it happens every year.

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:26 pm

Actually I should add smoking in general to my 'bads'. It just seems that there is nowhere you can stand anywhere in the main festival site without someone next to you immediately lighting up a cigarette. This obviously isn't too bad outside (although I still find it annoying), but in the tents it can be awful - especially when there are large crowds. Can people not wait until the end of the set and go outside for a smoke?

Greshtallica
Lowly Peon

Postby Greshtallica » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:06 pm

The Good
Friendly atmosphere as always throughout the festival. I was in Vanaheim and everyone was soooo friendly. At the end of the festival the area looked like no-one had even been there for 4 days.

The security folks - I did feel sorry for them during the downpours as they had those rubbishy thin ponchos but everyone that I had dealings with were very friendly.

Some great performances - Powerwolf, Sabaton, Grand Magus, Anthrax, Dee Snider.

Those reusable plastic drinking vessels - I now own a matching set of cups for picnics and camping!

The Bad
The food in the arena was shockingly priced.

A bit of sawdust or hay in places around the site to help soak up the mud would be good.

I watched some people with wheelchairs really struggling in places with the mud. maybe some thought could be given to that in future.

The Ugly
Me getting pissed in the sophie tent on the Thursday night when the bands finished and it was chucking it down. I ended up asking a lot of people what song people wanted played at their funeral. Sorry :oops: However! I got to chat to some really good people.

If you have recently put on a lot of weight or you are " big boned" then perhaps crowd surfing is not for you.

Still a great festival though!

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:45 pm

Good: the much reduced queues to get in this year (no queuing for 2 hours). Some of the food was nice. Usual good choice of beers. Most of the security people were friendly though a few could have done with lightening up a bit (yes, supervisor in the purple top I'm thinking of you!).

Bad: weather - nothing BS can do about that, however they could have been better prepared for the mud and actually tried to take some steps to improve some areas.
Although I enjoyed a lot of the bands I still feel that the line up was much poorer than previous years - that seemed to have resulted in significantly lower ticket sales as it certainly felt like there was more space in the arena and campsites than the last couple of years.

Food prices - despite some reasonable food, there is no getting away from it being really poor value for money at most stalls. A fair few of the traders were commenting that was a function of BS's stall fees being too high.

Ugly: is it really necessary to show everyone your hairy arse in a mankini? The joke wore off about 10 years ago.

squelchy20
Lowly Peon

Postby squelchy20 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:51 pm

The good:

-The bands. Highlights being Taake, Sabaton, Anthrax, Dee Snider and Death Angel.
-The staff. Friendly as always.
-TPO beer bong folks in Midgard. My mate won with a time of 2.57 secs.
-Those roast dinners in yorkshire puddings.
-The usual campsite camaraderie and the people we met.

The bad:

-The weather. Cant be helped, but would have been a bit more bearable if the organisers took some action on making the mud safer to walk on.
-Again, the weather. My tent sprung a leak and was soaked inside after the downpour on Friday.
-The perennial snorer in Ironwood who was unfortunately pitched next to us.
-The afterparty DJs in the Sophie tent. I skipped last year, but previous years had firebreathers, dancers and 4DJOTA...It's so shit and lifeless now. WHAT HAPPENED?!

The ugly:

-Some of the fancy dress I saw.
-The state of me Saturday morning after drinking too much whilst looking for a spare sleeping bag after mine was drenched in the downpour. Ended up sharing drinks with some cool people and then passing out outside my tent with some dude's blanket.
-Again, the state of me after doing skids in the mud and losing my footing. Caked, head to toe in mud on the Sunday.
-Obligatory to mention food prices.

thejamma
Lowly Peon

Postby thejamma » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:58 pm

Good:
-2020 announcement. Dark Tranquillity & Vio-Lence especially, but I'm happy with all of them personally.
-Lineup rejigs, both before the festival and thanks to the wind. All handled very well.
-Decent ciders in the Sophie tent as well as the VIP bar!
-The £2 cup scheme. Visibly far less rubbish on the floor in the arena.
-Signing tent as well organised as ever. Sign showing which sides each queue would be was simple but very helpful.

Bad:
-Food prices, as mentioned by everyone else. Prices absurd, and portions shrinking.
-Announcement of lineup rejigs. People suggested showing them on the screens instead of the same old video loops. Posters were a good start. Definitely don't start relying on smartphones!
-Noise from the fairground rides affects the Sophie tent. Either mute them, or get rid altogether. My personal choice would be get rid and/or move the rides and the powerlifters and move the Jager stage to that end of the arena. Because..
-Sound clash between Jager stage and main stage. its a nice idea trying to alternate them, but it never really works to plan. Move it further away, and ideally make the Jager a little bigger too, it always gets rammed for any vaguely well known bands.
-Having to carry £2 cups around. Having them is a great idea, but could we trade them back in when we don't want them please? Wacken offers this?
-Perennial issue of no alternatives to the main stage headliner. Doesn't need to be a big band in the Sophie tent necessarily, but comedians, smallish band, fire/circus show, anything..

Ugly:
-Probably not BOA's fault, but having to listen to so many people chucking up on Monday morning while packing up..

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Good
Good sets from the bands I wanted to see
Friendly staff
Seeing my mates band play, even if it was in the VIP
Lancaster fly-past
Bad
Food prices - seems to be a common complaint. Went to a country/Americana festival a few weeks ago, and while it aims for a posher crowd, the food was much better and no more expensive. Seems like this is a 'charge as much as we can for as low quality as we can get away with' deal.
No wood chippings or anything in the worst of the areas
Ugly
50-something Scorps fanboys who can't handle their drink. Spoiling for a fight and a pain in the arse when they came on
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11