BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Dombag
Warrior of Metal

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Dombag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:26 pm

The good:

Great atmosphere despite many setbacks I'll get into that later.
Showsec being sound.
Got to see bloodstock friends and made a few more this year.
Saw plenty of bands and enjoyed a fair few of them.
Friendly bar staff
Getting into the festival within 20 mins of being dropped off

The Bad:

Like everyone's said, the weather was schizophrenic this year and we could have done with some hay or sawdust on the mud.
This year I camped in Hel and unlike the other camps it doesn't have it's own toilets or water points. Saw a few fellers getting told off by showsec for weeing on the fence. Wouldn't happen if there was at least a half dozen porterloos about.
During Helhiem a mate's cousins got pass out drunk. Oddly enough a group of about half dozen PD fans came over and offered help, think they even helped take him to the welfare tent. (So, good on them)
Heard there were thieves about this year from friends and showsec.
There was a bit of drama on the Saturday night due to a MASSIVE misunderstanding.
A bloodstock mate had no way of getting home on Monday morning because his ride left without him and he had no doe left on him or a card.

The Ugly:
Food prices for the most part was far too much for too little. I did manage to get 10 spring rolls for a fiver and the pies were good value for money. But, overall I'm not paying £9 for a burger or noodles.
So instead of eating regularly I was spending money on IPA and got into silly drunk territory.
Last edited by Dombag on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
home of metal breakdown http://stbproduction.blogspot.co.uk/

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:38 pm

Good:
-Staff were polite, had a sense of humour and helpful (tried to help regarding the Saturday debacle)
-Getting on Thursday was a doddle, best it's ever been
-Disregarding Saturday's wind screwing main, the sound was great all weekend
-Didn't notice or bump into any idiots or people being annoying

Bad:
- The people in the supermarket in the campsite blaring drum and bass all night long, didn't effect me personally but everyone around me struggled to sleep because of it

-The communication/lack of it Saturday; I only discovered Generation Kill and Skeletal Remains had cancelled by chance walking into Rock Soc bar. Walked into the Sophie tent to find Black Shuck playing with no announcement as to why; also saw I'd missed Divine Chaos too. I get why they had to cancel and couldn't be helped but the lack of communication was piss poor and left a bad taste in my mouth to say the least.

-Why did they not put any straw or boarding down? It wasn't as if the weather was unexpected. I skipped seeing some acts because it would have taken too long to move between stages. If I had mobility issues (and seeing some in wheelchairs struggle, kudos to the security offering assistance where they could though) it would have a massive impact on my festival experience.

- I get the wind was very high and this wouldn't happen otherwise but once the signs saying which recycling bin was for what item had blown over people just put them in whatever bin. Mark the bin itself as a back up if possible.

- More recycling bins around the arena needed, especially around Sophie stage

Ugly:
- The mud, my God those fields must be ruined
- The urinals not being drained Saturday evening and overflowing as a result, the truck might not have been around due to the wind but the stench was dreadful
- The stalls that left bottles of mayonnaise in the direct sun for hours on the end for punters. Dread to think how ill they made people

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 pm

GOOD: Blind Divide (best band of the whole 4 days imvho), ('fucking') Lotus Eater, Red Method, Crescent, Ten Ton Slug, Raging Speedhorn...Aborted on the Ronnie stage
BAD: People NOT putting rubbish in the right bins or any bins come to that
UGLY: Selfish ignorant bstards STILL smoking their cancer sticks in the tents -
(Not queuing up for 3 hours on thursday was sublime)

Suspiria99
Lowly Peon

Postby Suspiria99 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 pm

The good-
The staff on bars and general bloodstock staff, stage managers etc. All very kind was super impressed.
Getting anthrax on stage, just anthrax's general performance, fantastic.
Bringing sabaton back, what a choice a truly amazing band who I never fail to enjoy.
The bins to recycle were a great idea though I'd have liked a few more as people got lazy later in the weekend.
The cups! What a brilliant idea to have reusable bloodstock cups.

The bad -
The weather which is preventable
Would have liked to see announcements and more advertisements as to the moves of bands.

The ugly -
Security, specifically those on the vip. Found the woman who was on Friday Saturday and Sunday to be incredibly rude. Even watched her ridicule a child who wanted to use the bathroom who had the correct passes to do so. Absolutely not on.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:41 pm

Good:
Every day had at least two or three really good bands, and Sunday was packed with them, great!
Met lots of nice people; the usual friendly atmosphere was present and correct.
The security were really nice.
Getting a pillow from the camping shop helped with sleep no end.
Good selection of Ales, got me to drink in the arena.

The bad:
Not getting something put down in the bottleneck for the mud.
Still some food places not serving large enough portions. £10 for a meal that leaves you hungry isn't OK. (finding the fish and chips place did help -but I got sick of it by the third time)
Some full on sound system playing till I had to get up on the last night/Monday morning. No sleep at all is shit.

The Ugly:
The mud.
The snoring guy that sound like a tortured walrus next to my tent.
Getting soaked in under a minute when the first mini storm hit
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:20 am

The Good:

- Getting in was so quick this year; barely any queue when we arrived around midday. Not sure if this was due to reduced attendance or if they've made changes to the queuing system.

- Finally having toilets in quiet camp; meant that I never had to wait too long for a loo and seemed helpful for families with kids in the campsite. Toilets, in general, were good; never encountered a bad one (although I was pre-warned not to use a couple!)

- All the laughs our camp had and the new friends we made over the weekend :)

- Hobgoblin IPA on tap! Actually ended up buying a few pints of the stuff whilst in the arena as it was a reasonable price and well kept.

- Re-usable cups - about time they introduced them and they seemed to do the job as the arena was spotless most of the weekend. Unfortunately, I lost mine during Scorpions whilst rocking out with some old dudes :( :lol: but would have made a good souvenir!

- Recycling points/bins

- The tidiness of most of the campsites on Monday morning.

- The way the organizers dealt with the weather issues and last-minute cancellations - moving CoF to the Sunday and still honouring Saturday tickets was a nice touch.

- Announcement

The Bad:

- Eazy Cheezy having four stalls - could have been more variety and as far as I know, no-one even likes Eazy Cheezy!

- On a similar note, no Hippy Chippy :( A portion of chips from here was always a perfect snack before heading to bed.

- Still no water points in Ragnarok or Hel - would have been handy to have.

- Announcement of changes - I guess they couldn't use the tv's on Saturday as they had to be taken down but more notices around the arena might have helped. I only knew about the changes from my campmates as I only take a burner phone with me. I genuinely had no idea Skeletal Remains cancelled until I read an earlier post!

- No bin jousting :(

The Ugly:

- Me feeling like I've had a stomach bug all day. Seems to be quite a lot of other people that have come home with bugs too. Still dragged myself to a Queensryche gig tonight though. :lol:

- The guy in front of me peeing during Dee Snider. :(

Will talk about bands in the Rate the Bands thread. :)

garyboyd
Definitely Not Nu

Postby garyboyd » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:03 am

The Good:
Bands were generally pretty good this year although there was no real stand out band that got me really excited.

The crowd was friendly and not so many dicks this year (with one exception - see Ugly)

Showsec were great as usual.

Next years announcement guarantees my ticket already!

Beer and cider was reasonably priced and bar staff were generally cool.

The Bad:
The weather, but nothing you can do about that in the UK, just need to plan ahead with ponchos, suncream etc. to hand.

The mud, this could have been planned for given the weather forecast and Bloodstock should have had something in place (straw at least) for the worst areas.

Sabaton and evil scarecrow, I know they get good crowds, just not my thing and they seem to be on the bill far too often.

The young lad doing the car parking was a little prick with a hitler complex.

The Ugly:
Food prices - getting ridiculous now, this needs sorting asap

Stall prices - normally I come back with a few bargain CDs or t-shirts. I haven't bought anything the past two years as prices are getting silly. Heard that there was quite a bit of thieving from stalls this year, that's not on, but what do they expect when prices are so high?!
I think Bloodstock need to rethink what they are charging the stall holders and food vendors.

Fucking cokeheads during scorpions, staggering around, bumping into people, getting aggressive and openly snorting in front of kids. I found a bag of beak on the floor, I hope it was yours - it went straight in the bin you cnts :x

Aerosol_Kid
Consort of the Beast

Postby Aerosol_Kid » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 am

houston4044 wrote:Bad:
-The communication/lack of it Saturday; I only discovered Generation Kill and Skeletal Remains had cancelled by chance walking into Rock Soc bar.

That's actually the very first I've even heard myself that they never played, assumed I'd missed them due to the re jig of set times with no announcements, (including that pretty much useless app).
skull-wart wrote:Yes! Thor! Clearly the best (and most muscular and handsome) man I've ever seen at everything! I would love to see him headline every day, on every stage. At every festival and gig in this country and all of the others too.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 am

The Good - Witch Tripper...that is all :lol: No seriously, the security and fans were as welcoming and friendly as ever. Band wise I was really impressed with Powerwolf, Cancer Bats, Soulfly, Parkway, Death Angel, Footprints in the custard and as previously mentoned Witch Tripper. Special mention to the Lazys who really brought it despite being bumped down a stage! Finally the RAM Gallery. Never been in before and it was a pleasant change from watching bands/drinking at camp.

The Bad - It pains me to say this but I was underwhelmed by Sabaton and Evil Scarecrow despite being a fan of both and having seen both multiple times and being very impressed! Joakim just didn't seem to have the energy he does on the European headlining slots I have watched. I don't think the mix was right either something just felt off technically. As for Evil Scarecrow, Dr Hells voice seemed strained for the most part like he was having issues? I know they had a plethora of technical issues too which couldnt be helped. Props for even performing at all in those conditions. The weather was what it was. For the first time in ever I actually came prepared with a good quality rain poncho and wellies and honestly the rain didnt bother me at all.

The Ugly - The sound levels seemed to be off all weekend. I only saw maybe 4/5 bands where the mix was spot on. This was my 5th bloodstock and I have to say this was the worst it has been in my memory. The mud was tricky at times but again I had a good pair of wellies. Perhaps something could have been put down to combat it though.

All in all it was a cracking weekend again. I mention the bad points purely as constructive criticism. They certainly didn't have a large enough impact on my weekend to bitch out about it.

Finally, to the anonymous author of the contemplative query of the door of the portaloo in Asgard "Is it gay if I only busted a half chub?"...
Yes, yes it is! But that is ok!

gcmandrake
Lowly Peon

Postby gcmandrake » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:39 am

The Good

* Everyone was in good spirits despite the issues. Compared to e.g. Download, you feel safer and happier at Bloodstock. The fact people bring their kids is testament to this. The three (I think) year old crowd surfing during Evil Scarecrow shows that.

* Security were friendly and helpful. No queues to get in, no unnecessary crap.

* The cider bar being off to the side by itself made it much easier to get access to my chosen poison of fruity cider. My cider-elitist friends would disapprove, but it makes me happy.

* Generally happy with the performances of the bands that were on. Special mention to Powerwolf and Dee Snider for being surprisingly good.

* Despite all the coming points in the bad and ugly section, I'm still coming back next year. 100%

The Bad

* The quality of the food stands seems to be taking a dive, at the same time the price of food seems to be going up. I have no issue paying £8 for something decent, and clearly all the people queuing for the pies, rotisserie chicken, paella and the yorkshires didn't either. But the first day or two it's a gamble what you get before word spreads on whats good. Why did there need to be so many burger places that rip you off and no one ever went back to a second time? The best places were the independents.

* The chairs. And this is coming from a devout chair-ist. I set up off to the side, fairly far back. If it becomes apparent I'm in the way, I move. People aren't getting the memo, and heading forwards and stumbling over people set up with chairs 5 meters from the front seems ridiculous. I've seen at some festivals they have a perimeter around the stage, in front of which no chairs are permitted and you'll be "reminded" by security if you do. Not everyone can stand up all day, and banning chairs wholesale would be discriminatory, but we have to be considerate.

* Sound quality was iffy on some bands. Generally they improved after a song or two (which is pretty standard for festivals) but many seemed to struggle. Can't tell if it's the mixing or just the quality of the speaker system.

* Rubbish. The recycling bins are an improvement, but they're not being used correctly. I would be very surprised if there's much reclaimed from them for recycling. More pressing, most people seem to not be using them at all. Why were there so many single-use plastic cups still on site? The bars shouldn't be filling them. People are still just discarding their food waste on the ground. There has to be a culture change around it. It's only a short walk to a bin. Maybe make the signs higher so they're more obvious.

* Almost nowhere took card payment. Not sure if that's related to the connectivity problems on site, but mandating contactless payment for bars and stores would reduce queues as it's quicker, and reduce crime as people aren't carrying wads of cash around. Many festivals are going cashless entirely now. Hell, the whole of Sweden will be cashless by 2023.

* I don't think the line up was as strong as in previous years, but that's more of a subjective point.

* Someone nicked my girlfriend's cup. Why? You can't get a refund on it (which I suspect is why you can't, to dissuade theft). To save £2?

The Ugly

* The response to the weather. It's the UK. Doesn't matter if it's summer, weather is a thing that happens. So why did Bloodstock seem so badly prepared? Shifting acts around due to the wind is fine. The lack of communication is not. It's no good telling us to look at the app, because I had no phone signal and couldn't connect to the provided WiFi all festival. Put up the changes on the screens like other festivals do. Announce them in the gaps between bands. Keep people informed. Announcing once isn't enough. Not everyone is there, and not everyone is sober enough to remember. I'd roll out a more robust WiFi network and add a pound or two to everyone's ticket price to cover it. Download's large enough to set up free cellular masts especially for the festival. I get that Bloodstock is a lot smaller, but some sort of connectivity solution is needed.

And then we get to the path between the festival and the car park. Absolutely dangerous. It turned into a quagmire, and is exacerbated by the fact it's not level. My girlfriend slipped over, it's a good job it was a soft landing. Anyone with mobility difficulties was just left to fend for themselves. I struggled, and I'm fine walking. People were walking on the road instead, but security tried to stop them, and it was holding up traffic. Straw needs putting down, or frankly an actual path needs building. There were so many discarded carts with broken wheels. If nothing else, the plastic waste from those is substantial, never mind that people then have to carry their camping supplies.

* The state of the inside of my car, and then my kitchen after I brought everything home to try and dry the mud off.
Last edited by gcmandrake on Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:01 am

The Good:
    -The lack of ridiculous queue when I arrived on Thursday shortly before midday. I was very happy not to stand around for more than an hour.
    -My new £45 pop-up 2 man tent from Decathlon survived the wind on Saturday and I managed to repack in at the first attempt on Monday morning.
    -The toastie van in Midgard. Efficient even at peak breakfast times.
    -Toilets in the campsites were generally in good condition and cleaned twice per day.
    -The nice bit of open space in Asgard beside where my friends and I camped.
    -Many good performances on the line-up, namely Sabaton, Dee Snider, Eluveitie, Dust Bolt to name a few
    -Clouds at night meant I didn't spend hours shivering in my tent.
    -I went to Valhalla on Sunday night to have a couple of drinks with someone and ended up getting about 10-15 Camp Loner Metalheads doing the Macarena.

The Bad:
    -Crap weather. Organize some sunshine for next year!
    -Bad communication over the delays and schedule changes. The only written notices were at the main stage itself and at the arena entrance. I agree with others that the screens should be used for this (if they can be raised). There is very little mobile data signal at Catton Park and I am not paying to use the wifi, so just using the app or social media isn't good enough. If you have to send security around the campsites with a loudspeaker then do it.
    -Klaus Meine's voice. The man is clearly struggling to sing now and running on empty.
    -Too many Hardcore bands on the line-up.
    -The big open space near where I camped in Asgard was because the group dropped from about 15 in 2018 to 3 in 2019. The Parkway Drive effect. :(

The Ugly:
    -The state of the path between the campsites and the arena. Put some sawdust, straw or plastic boards down before someone gets injured! Use a hairdryer if you have to! Do something the next time.
    -Food & drink prices. £2.50 for a can of coke is outrageous and some food cost nearly £10. The Vegetarian/Vegan stand yet again raised its prices by £1 after Thursday. Not cool.
    -Overflowing bins in Asgard. Great idea to split the bins into various waste types, but the wheelie bins were too small and the cans bin was filled up by Friday morning and didn't seem to be emptied.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:21 am

gcmandrake wrote:* The chairs. And this is coming from a devout chair-ist. I set up off to the side, fairly far back. If it becomes apparent I'm in the way, I move. People aren't getting the memo, and heading forwards and stumbling over people set up with chairs 5 meters from the front seems ridiculous. I've seen at some festivals they have a perimeter around the stage, in front of which no chairs are permitted and you'll be "reminded" by security if you do. Not everyone can stand up all day, and banning chairs wholesale would be discriminatory, but we have to be considerate.

That would be a fair compromise. As you say, to ban them outright would be problematic at best and frankly discriminatory at worst. And to allow security to judge who is or isn't 'able-bodied' just by looking at them is plain stupid. I too am a devout 'chair-ist' and never set up in front of the stage (I really don't get why people do this as surely they're just gonna be looking at other people's arses the entire time) - I always set up well behind the edge of the main crowd at least. A half-moon perimeter using the sound desk as a central reference point would be fine by me. That way, you could still set up down the sides and have a good view of the stage when you stand up to watch a band.

gcmandrake wrote:* Rubbish. The recycling bins are an improvement, but they're not being used correctly. I would be very surprised if there's much reclaimed from them for recycling. More pressing, most people seem to not be using them at all. Why were there so many single-use plastic cups still on site? The bars shouldn't be filling them. People are still just discarding their food waste on the ground. There has to be a culture change around it. It's only a short walk to a bin. Maybe make the signs higher so they're more obvious.

I only noticed the single-use plastic cups on the Sunday - perhaps the bars were running out of the reusable ones?

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:27 am

The Good:

-Friday's line-up.
- The queue to get in, don't know what they've changed this year, or if less people showed up early on Thursday, but we were off the shuttle bus at 11:15, and all pitched up and ready to go by 12:30. Last year we were still queuing by then.
- Showsec staff are consistently great.
- The reusable cups, better late than never, so good not to be wading though a field covered in crushed single-use cups, must have made a huge difference to the amount of waste produced.
- Recycling bins.
- Toilets are usually of a high standard, but this year they seemed to be extra good, didn't encounter and overflowing urinal or portaloo without paper and sanitiser all weekend (may have just gotten lucky though).
- Ostrich burgers and mozzarella sticks, halloumi pitas, and Bunnyman's.

The Bad:

- Saturday's line-up. I have been to many festivals since my first in 2007, and I think I spent more time sat at camp while bands were on that day than I have across all of those other events combined. It just isn't something I've ever really done before.
- The reusable cups not being on a deposit system. Totally planned on taking one each home with us, but due to some people on day tickets we were with on Friday we ended up with 4 spares. Not being able to return them is silly (they wouldn't even take them off me for free, said they'd just get chucked), particularly in light of them having to revert back to disposables after running out.
- The mess in the campsite was better, the pile of bags on the way out was larger, but it's still far worse than any festival I've been to on the continent. Still need to do better. Would also have been good to mark separate piles for different rubbish, we were all very good boys and girls in our camp and had separate recycling bags layed out all weekend only to just have to lob them all on the the same pile. I hope it was sorted after the fact.
- Communication about changes was poor. Found out about the moves between Cradle, Batushka, and The Lazys after glancing over at the side of the entrance tent by chance, and just so happening to be in the closest lane so I could actually read it, but showed up for both Skeletal Remains and Black Shuck to find they weren't there. Every stage announcer needs to run down any changes after every band, the app is not a good enough solution given the connectivity issues on site.

The Ugly:

- Chased someone's tent rolling through Valhalla on Saturday afternoon, managed to get it back to where we thought it had come from and peg it down, but I think it was a lost cause. I hope whoever it was managed to make arrangements to sleep somewhere else.
- The mud, my shoes were destroyed.

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Good
Peoples general cheeriness
New Blood and Sophie stages being great
Friendly merc staff

Bad
Weather
Not enough death or folk metal
Shirts of xxl running

Ugly
In spite of the wind, blokes still used the urinals,yuk
Straw on the route from the car park would’ve been nice
Chairs should be used further back for the duo stage,I manage it as I need a chair,why can’t others

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Another amazing year, already cant wait for the next

Good
As always the incredible atmosphere both in my own camp which gets better every year as we adopt new people and in the people I met and got fucked up with around the Midgard

The queue was incredibly quick this year, I dont know if this was due to changes or just that attendance seemed noticeably down this year but it was really nice only taking 30 minutes to get in

Loads of amazing sets, more of this in the band rating thread

Showsec were sound as fuck and really relaxed this year

Unlike a lot of people here I really enjoyed the food, yes its expensive but thats to be expected and I had really good filling stuff from Bunnymans, Yorkies, Texas Smoker, Roaming Rottisery and Pie Shop

The reusable cups was an excellent addition finally and was really nice that security let you bring drink into the arena if it was in 1 of those

The response to the wind was excellent and was very impressed no one had to get cancelled(By the fest that is, Skeletal Remains obviously a different thing) just moved about

Bad

The state of the main entrances and how muddy they got, should have been wood chips and such but I did get a response about this on Facebook and the reason was that wind was the bigger issue and so they had to prioritise that which is fair

Recycle bins were a good idea but not enough of them especially in the campsites. Again got a response on this and they said they aim to improve this next year

Ugly

The weather, cant be helped but it was a right cunt at times

The absolute state I got in after the bands each night, I wont change as its the best time but its not pretty