BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Cassius
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Huddersfield

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Cassius » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:55 pm

Another amazing year, already cant wait for the next

Good
As always the incredible atmosphere both in my own camp which gets better every year as we adopt new people and in the people I met and got fucked up with around the Midgard

The queue was incredibly quick this year, I dont know if this was due to changes or just that attendance seemed noticeably down this year but it was really nice only taking 30 minutes to get in

Loads of amazing sets, more of this in the band rating thread

Showsec were sound as fuck and really relaxed this year

Unlike a lot of people here I really enjoyed the food, yes its expensive but thats to be expected and I had really good filling stuff from Bunnymans, Yorkies, Texas Smoker, Roaming Rottisery and Pie Shop

The reusable cups was an excellent addition finally and was really nice that security let you bring drink into the arena if it was in 1 of those

The response to the wind was excellent and was very impressed no one had to get cancelled(By the fest that is, Skeletal Remains obviously a different thing) just moved about

Bad

The state of the main entrances and how muddy they got, should have been wood chips and such but I did get a response about this on Facebook and the reason was that wind was the bigger issue and so they had to prioritise that which is fair

Recycle bins were a good idea but not enough of them especially in the campsites. Again got a response on this and they said they aim to improve this next year

Ugly

The weather, cant be helped but it was a right cunt at times

The absolute state I got in after the bands each night, I wont change as its the best time but its not pretty

User avatar
fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:52 am
Location: Nottingham

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:15 pm

Cassius wrote:
Bad

The state of the main entrances and how muddy they got, should have been wood chips and such but I did get a response about this on Facebook and the reason was that wind was the bigger issue and so they had to prioritise that which is fair



Considering that the main entrance was a mess Friday afternoon, well before the wind, that's a reason for not sorting it that I'll take with a grain of salt.:(
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

AlixB
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:57 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby AlixB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:32 pm

It was really good to see a step in the right direction regarding litter management this year, but it could be improved further. No possibility of bin jousting also made for a great night's sleep every day. Cheers. :)

There definitely was less litter in the arena this year, but still quite a lot. I would suggest a recycling bin for cans next year as I saw a substantial number of empties on the ground. There was also quite a lot of single-use plastic cups on the ground (I assume from the slushy store).

As far as the campsite is concerned, I strongly suggest (again) providing punters with weekend camping tickets a rubbish bag each upon arrival. Some festivals give punters their money back when they return full bags of rubbish to a dump site, others go around inspecting sites and instructing people to clean up (providing more bags if necessary). The former will definitely work (especially with young people) because people like money. As the "camp mum" I bought a roll of bags and cleaned up our camp area and the barbecue area (the latter because the mess offended me), but not everyone thinks like me.

Back to the actual festival though - great selection of bands, fun weekend, and horrifically expensive food/drink. I'll probably be back again next year.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 379
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:02 pm
Location: Huddersfield

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Cassius » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:57 pm

AlixB wrote:There definitely was less litter in the arena this year, but still quite a lot. I would suggest a recycling bin for cans next year as I saw a substantial number of empties on the ground.


I doubt this will happen as any can in the arena has been smuggled in so if they put bins out for them they would be seen as condoning this

ChildofChaos
Lowly Peon
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:09 pm

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby ChildofChaos » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:22 pm

The good:

Have been to many festivals over many years, first time at Bloodstock, loved it. Loved the drop off point being right on site, the short walk to the arena and having the arena be the village and open on Thursday.

Although the festival lacks a slight bit of atmosphere, love how chilled it is, it's like being on a beach holiday and not a festival.

Decent weather, good food options although there are not tons of stalls they had the right ones with pretty standard prices and the drink options were superb (Great cocktail options and real cider!) and reasonably priced.

The bad:

A slight breeze on Saturday and a band is cancelled, didn't effect me personally but was a bit of a joke and complete incompetence on the side of the organisers, the random bloke coming on stage to announce it due to the "extreme weather conditions" WHAT!? Even Parkway making reference to it and that people must of had a difficult day due to it, was one of the biggest jokes i've ever seen at a festival. Did make me laugh quite a lot though, i've never seen a festival so chilled and relaxed and then a slight breeze and things are cancelled, metalhead aren't so brutal after all.

It does make me concerned what would happen if there was actually bad weather at the festival. Parkway were great, but why didn't they have the screens up? Disappointing.

The Ugly:

The Scorpions were absolutely terrible. The band sounded superb but the singer gave one of the worst vocal performances I have ever seen.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:49 pm

ChildofChaos wrote:
The bad:

A slight breeze on Saturday and a band is cancelled, didn't effect me personally but was a bit of a joke and complete incompetence on the side of the organisers, the random bloke coming on stage to announce it due to the "extreme weather conditions" WHAT!? Even Parkway making reference to it and that people must of had a difficult day due to it, was one of the biggest jokes i've ever seen at a festival. Did make me laugh quite a lot though, i've never seen a festival so chilled and relaxed and then a slight breeze and things are cancelled, metalhead aren't so brutal after all.

It does make me concerned what would happen if there was actually bad weather at the festival. Parkway were great, but why didn't they have the screens up? Disappointing.


Wow. I'm not sure your post could have been more ill-informed if you tried. Do you honestly think the organisers would have made the call to delay the main stage unless they absolutely had to? And no bands were cancelled because of the weather - they were just moved to different times which actually shows a great level of effort on the part of the organisers (so far from 'incompetence' as you erroneously claimed).
And if after all that you still don't understand why the screens weren't up for Parkway Drive then I really don't know what to say.
And your asanine comment about "metalheads not being so brutal after all" just doesn't even deserve a response.

AlixB
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:57 am
Location: Queensland, Australia

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby AlixB » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Cassius wrote:
AlixB wrote:There definitely was less litter in the arena this year, but still quite a lot. I would suggest a recycling bin for cans next year as I saw a substantial number of empties on the ground.


I doubt this will happen as any can in the arena has been smuggled in so if they put bins out for them they would be seen as condoning this


True, but it would do well to have some in the camping areas at least.

User avatar
WorMzy
Denim Demon
Posts: 4984
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:11 pm
Location: Dundee
Contact:

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby WorMzy » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:45 pm

Good:
  • Mead! Everywhere mead! :yes: I spent a lot more than I meant to, and drank a lot more than I probably should have, but when it's as readily available as that, my wallet doth open!
  • Thought it was a consequence of arriving later than usual, but apparently the Thursday queue was well managed this year, and didn't reach the stupid lengths of the past couple of years!
  • Good music, although no stand out acts for me this year
  • Met up with the usual suspects, had some good chats
  • Very friendly security doing a damn good job
  • Said security were letting people with re-usable cups through into the arena, which meant I could share out my homebrew without having to drag people all across Midgard to my tent
  • Plenty of space in the campsites, so late arrivals like me were still able to have a decent pick of plot
  • Not too cold on a night, which meant I didn't need to wrap up in everything I own just to keep warm!
  • Coach picked me up from my home city, so I didn't have to get the train to, and spend the night in Glasgow the day before, saving me time and money
Bad:
  • What should be a 6 hour drive took 12 hours due to the coach picking up in Edinburgh and Abington (and overestimating how long it would take to get to these locations...), as well as every muppet on the M6 deciding that that day would be the perfect time to crash and cause horrendous delays. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Coach driver also went the wrong way once we got close to Bloodstock (probably sat nav failure), so we ended up reversing slowly up a country lane for a while before turning around
  • Wasn't the first punter through security into the arena on Thursday this time around, due to the above :(
  • Was worried my tent was going to leak on Friday, and blow away on Saturday, fortunately neither of these happened, but hopefully the weather is back to the standard fare for next year
  • Fucking mud everywhere. It dried out a lot due to the winds on Saturday, only to return in force for the rest of the weekend
  • I saw a few arseholes around on the Saturday giving ShowSec grief for the temporary stage closure as though it was their fault :/
  • Food expensive, portions tiny, belly empty. Cooked some stuff in my trangia, but solid fuel is shit. Un-ban methylated spirits please!
Ugly:
  • The state of my boots
  • The state of my wallet

All in all, it was a rather good weekend. We should do it again some time.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

User avatar
robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 608
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 am
Location: Manchester

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby robin8585 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:18 am

AlixB wrote:As far as the campsite is concerned, I strongly suggest (again) providing punters with weekend camping tickets a rubbish bag each upon arrival.


They said they were going to do that, and have done the same the last couple of years. I've still yet to see it actually happen though. A couple of Showsec guys walked along the Valhalla fencing and tied a dozen or so bags to it for people to grab, but that was it.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby JPMC » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 am

ChildofChaos wrote:The good:

Have been to many festivals over many years, first time at Bloodstock, loved it. Loved the drop off point being right on site, the short walk to the arena and having the arena be the village and open on Thursday.

Although the festival lacks a slight bit of atmosphere, love how chilled it is, it's like being on a beach holiday and not a festival.

Decent weather, good food options although there are not tons of stalls they had the right ones with pretty standard prices and the drink options were superb (Great cocktail options and real cider!) and reasonably priced.

The bad:

A slight breeze on Saturday and a band is cancelled, didn't effect me personally but was a bit of a joke and complete incompetence on the side of the organisers, the random bloke coming on stage to announce it due to the "extreme weather conditions" WHAT!? Even Parkway making reference to it and that people must of had a difficult day due to it, was one of the biggest jokes i've ever seen at a festival. Did make me laugh quite a lot though, i've never seen a festival so chilled and relaxed and then a slight breeze and things are cancelled, metalhead aren't so brutal after all.

It does make me concerned what would happen if there was actually bad weather at the festival. Parkway were great, but why didn't they have the screens up? Disappointing.

The Ugly:

The Scorpions were absolutely terrible. The band sounded superb but the singer gave one of the worst vocal performances I have ever seen.


Your slight breeze was actually an amber weather alert. They took the lighting down as there was some problem with it. They created an exclusion zone in front of the security barrier as there was obviously some issue. Would you be the first nancy jumping up and down if a piece of staging had blown off and hit someone on the head?

You really are a nozzle!

User avatar
ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:59 am
Location: Leeds

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:35 pm

ChildofChaos wrote:The good:

Have been to many festivals over many years, first time at Bloodstock, loved it. Loved the drop off point being right on site, the short walk to the arena and having the arena be the village and open on Thursday.

Although the festival lacks a slight bit of atmosphere, love how chilled it is, it's like being on a beach holiday and not a festival.

Decent weather, good food options although there are not tons of stalls they had the right ones with pretty standard prices and the drink options were superb (Great cocktail options and real cider!) and reasonably priced.

The bad:

A slight breeze on Saturday and a band is cancelled, didn't effect me personally but was a bit of a joke and complete incompetence on the side of the organisers, the random bloke coming on stage to announce it due to the "extreme weather conditions" WHAT!? Even Parkway making reference to it and that people must of had a difficult day due to it, was one of the biggest jokes i've ever seen at a festival. Did make me laugh quite a lot though, i've never seen a festival so chilled and relaxed and then a slight breeze and things are cancelled, metalhead aren't so brutal after all.

It does make me concerned what would happen if there was actually bad weather at the festival. Parkway were great, but why didn't they have the screens up? Disappointing.

The Ugly:

The Scorpions were absolutely terrible. The band sounded superb but the singer gave one of the worst vocal performances I have ever seen.


Hmm - slight breeze ? Oh, you mean the one that closed airports, left a band stuck on a ferry unable to dock (poor bastards) and brought down trees; not to mention destroyed the bulleit bar stall in the arena.

All things given; the organisers did bloody well. Only one band could not make it due to the ferry; all others played albeit it in re-arranged sets.

gcmandrake
Lowly Peon
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:06 am

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby gcmandrake » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:57 am

JPMC wrote: They created an exclusion zone in front of the security barrier as there was obviously some issue.


I figure it was to make it harder for people to throw drinks at the presumably very expensive lighting equipment.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:33 am

gcmandrake wrote:
JPMC wrote: They created an exclusion zone in front of the security barrier as there was obviously some issue.


I figure it was to make it harder for people to throw drinks at the presumably very expensive lighting equipment.


Image

Gruffly
Lowly Peon
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby Gruffly » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:18 pm

Hi all, first time at Bloodstock and loved it! As a regular at drownload for years it was almost universaly a joy.
The Good - The size, shorter distances to walk and the overal feel of the place was more personal and less corporate. The crowd behavior was so polite compared to what I'm used to. I have always said please and thank you to folk as I move through the crowds but never heard it back untill being here. Didn't get barged out the way by twats ramming towards the front and my drinks stayed in their cups. Lovely. Had great chats with generaly very nice people esp the big irish lad who was spectaculary smashed all weekend and having the best time ever. Our camp neighbours were dead nice too. The beers were a serious cut above what I'm used to at a festival and the reusable pint cups were great. The £4.50 a pint price was fine by me, I'm from Edinburgh and that's what I'm used to. Sound was great wherever and whatever stage I was at. Arena underfoot was fine given the rain and numbers. Security was unobtrusive. Bands were great, I didn't see one lazy performance all weekend, had a cracking time.

The Bad - Not much, could've delt with the marshy paths at the entrance and between campsites better. Should have been more urinals and female only portaloos. The same music blasting out the fairground rides all the time was tedious. Why do they need to be playing anything? More robust signage on the recycling bins and fixed labels on the lids would help too. Communication about the stage changes, it probably hasn't escaped your notice that the mobile internet sucks on site so maybe a few more announcements and notices on the screens.

The Ugly - Only one thing If we are not allowed to cook at our tents then we need more than a tiny festering sandpit shoved next to the bogs to use. I arrived on Thursday took one look at it and thought fuck that! It was minging already, not acceptable in any way and only one little space at one end of the campsite. I ignored the rule and sucessfully evaded security cooking at my tent. I would rather not have to do that next time thanks.

All in, loved it and will be back.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby JPMC » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:42 am

gcmandrake wrote:
JPMC wrote: They created an exclusion zone in front of the security barrier as there was obviously some issue.


I figure it was to make it harder for people to throw drinks at the presumably very expensive lighting equipment.


It was for your safety. The lights rigging was getting blown about quite a bit. If anything had come loose or broken off, there's a good chance that it could have it somebody in the crowd. I don't know about you, but I don't fancy a lugnut smacking my head open, nevermind an actual PAR. That's why the exclusion zone was set up and the crowd pushed back.

At the end of the day, you should be thumbs-upping the stage management for mitigating the negative and likely saving anyone from harm, not throwing ill informed bullshit at it. But hey, you do you, cupcake :)

Edit: Ooops, sorry you weren't the one who spouted the crap about it in the first place. Nevermind :) I'll owe ya a pint!