BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

August 8 - 11, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Re: BOA 2019: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.

Postby JPMC » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:50 am

Gruffly wrote:The Ugly - Only one thing If we are not allowed to cook at our tents then we need more than a tiny festering sandpit shoved next to the bogs to use. I arrived on Thursday took one look at it and thought fuck that! It was minging already, not acceptable in any way and only one little space at one end of the campsite. I ignored the rule and sucessfully evaded security cooking at my tent. I would rather not have to do that next time thanks.

All in, loved it and will be back.

I would tend to agree... for VIP at least, they used to put the bbq pit away from the bogs over by the water stand. I looked at it this year, people cooking up literally next to the stinking loos and though... NUUUUUUUURRRP. If I had a Lana here, she'd be nurrping too!

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:06 pm

Worth remembering that a major festival in the South West was cancelled due to the weather.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

JD_B3E5
Warrior of Metal

Postby JD_B3E5 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

The Good
- Friday's 2020 announcement :o
- Parkway Drive
- Thursday afternoons weather
- Showsec being able to handle crowds well and doing a good job year in, year out

The Bad
- The rest of the weekend's weather
- The wind messing with a lot of the main stage bands' sound on Saturday afternoon
- The lack of communication from the organisers when the main stage abruptly closed after The Wildhearts finished
- The Noodle bar trying to charge me an extra 50p for an already £2.50 bottle of Fanta on Sunday morning

The Ugly
- The treacherous and muddy path from Ironwood to Midgard (they could at least put some straw or stones down to prevent people from slipping, couldn't they?)
- Still being able to hear Dani Filth screaming like a dying cat from Ironwood

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:22 am

The good:
* The bands. A much better mainstage lineup for my tastes than in many previous years (although the lower stages weren't as good for me this year).
* The people. Always good to catch up with those I generally only see once a year.

The bad:
* The cups. I saw them and thought it was fantastic that they'd followed Wacken's lead. Then I found out you didn't get your deposit back when you returned them, and had to buy them outright. WTF? What on earth were they thinking? I don't want to be carrying a plastic cup around all day.
* The lack of lighting on the path from the camper van field to the arena. If you couldn't cut through VIP, it was almost pitch black.
* Main stage sound quality wasn't as good as it has been in the past. I know the wind won't have helped, but I think it's been better in similar conditions in previous years.
* The food options. Oh how we miss Deli Kate.

The ugly:
* Once again, nothing for me. It's a festival. People can let loose and enjoy themselves. Live and let live.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...