Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: BOA 2019: Rate the bands

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:38 pm

varangian wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
varangian wrote:Here is the setlist

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/scorpion ... f8966.html

To be honest it`s not a bad setlist and some big songs in there (2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th songs are classics!), perhaps no "No-one like you" in there or overdoing the medley`s , sure there are certain songs we`d have liked but..
I dont know something wasn't quite there, first time I have seen them and expected a lot, Klaus voice wasn't quite there, solo spots could've done without, they didn't leave me `Wow` like some classic bands have done.

Nar, apart from 'The Zoo', nothing seemed to get a big response until Wind of Change

Does not surprise me in some respects, what songs do `most` know? Wind/Hurricane and perhaps The Zoo, `Is there anybody there` was top 40 back in the day :B
Blue Oyster Cult? The Reaper/Godzilla and Burnin for you perhaps
UFO? Rock Bottom, Doctor Doctor and Lights Out
Europe? Erm Final Countdown

Is it just the old boys and girls who knew every TS song Dee sang not just `were not gonna take it` and ` I wanna rock`?

Is this a fair indication?

I knew every TS song Dee sang. Woop woop! :D

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:41 pm

Jay1993 wrote:
varangian wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:
Nar, apart from 'The Zoo', nothing seemed to get a big response until Wind of Change

Does not surprise me in some respects, what songs do `most` know? Wind/Hurricane and perhaps The Zoo, `Is there anybody there` was top 40 back in the day :B
Blue Oyster Cult? The Reaper/Godzilla and Burnin for you perhaps
UFO? Rock Bottom, Doctor Doctor and Lights Out
Europe? Erm Final Countdown

Is it just the old boys and girls who knew every TS song Dee sang not just `were not gonna take it` and ` I wanna rock`?

Is this a fair indication?

I knew every TS song Dee sang. Woop woop! :D

So did I. I'll admit that I'm more of fan of Twisted Sister than I am of the Scorpions but I'm not unfamiliar with them. In fact, even knowing more songs than just 'Hurricane', 'Wind of Change' and 'Big City Nights' puts me in the minority when compared to most of my more 'metal' friends at Bloodstock.
In fact, pretty much everything Dee Snider did got a reaction from the crowd but that's less about being overly familiar with the material than it is about how engaging and high-energy his performance was. Whereas Scorpions just came across as tired old men living off past glories for a lot of the set.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:32 pm

I've seen Scorpions three times in recent years and I feel they've declined substantially and rapidly.

The first time was at Ramblin Man in 2015 (setlist here) which I thought was a triumph. I wasn't too familar with them at the time but was very impressed with their show.

Last year I saw them at Stone Free in The O2 (setlist here) and they were fine but nothing like as impressive as they had been three years earlier. I hadn't been planning on seeing Scorpions again but since they were playing with Megadave I felt it was worth doing. It was a good show was felt like they were going through the motions to reach 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' at the end. The instrumentals were dull and the set was unstructured.

Their performance at Bloodstock was a step down from last year (setlist here). They've barely changed their setlist over the last few years and Klaus was struggling a lot - even when he was just speaking. It wasn't an engaging performance at all and felt like they didn't really care much for where they were as it was just another show for them. Compare Scorpions to some of their peers, say Iron Maiden and Metallica, the difference in engagement and effort is enormous. On paper Scorpions were a great booking for Bloodstock but it probably came a few years too late to impress anyone. Many people around me didn't know 'Winds of Change' and just wanted to see 'Rock You Like A Hurricane'. It's probably time for Scorpions to call it a day.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:45 pm

Rotting christ 7/10 always good, not my preferred setlist, but still strong

Death Angel - 6/10 Good solid start to the day
Metal Church - 7/10 Meat and potatoes, but tasty when cooked proper
Soulfly - 4/10 Bit of a nostalgia band for me, but they, overall, failed to move me.
Children of Bodom - 7/10 Good set, good band.
Tesseract - 4/10 Well played music, but the Peter Andre styling of the lead singer was very annoying indeed. Perhaps they just aren't a Bloodstock band.
Powerwolf - 6/10 Bit of a disappointing one. Lots of style with limited substance.
Sabaton - 9/10 Style, substance and tanks.
Grand Magus - 9/10 Really strong set, and, unlike their own gigs, I didn't feel short changed on the set length.

Swallow the Sun - 7/10 Probably would have faired better in the tent, but still very good.
Evil Scarecrow - 4/10 I've just seen them too many times to move me.
Thy Art Is Murder - 6/10 better than I expected, as I'm not a deathcore guy at all.
The Wildhearts - 6/10 Seemed fun but I was off to see...
helheim 7/10 split the set between the extreme stuff and the post stuff well. Hoest guessed; cool.
Anthrax - 9/10 Always good, lots of anthems. And maybe the delay pushed them another notch up? Big win.
Parkway Drive - 6/10 not my thing and I didn't watch it all, but it was good for what it was.
Taake 9/10 intence and quality. Girls thinking their tits should spoil my views are annoying mind.

Ross the Boss - 8.5/10 really good fun, and KK was great.
Hypocrisy - 6.5/10 not seen them before. Impressive.
Dee Snider - 7/10 hits and bags of charisma.
Cradle of Filth - 10/10 I was right at the front and I loved it. No twats throwing things this time and the crowd seemed on their side overall. Band of the weekend for me.
Queensryche - 5/10 Big letdown. The songs were really very well played indeed, but the band just sit back and put the whole show on La Torrs shoulders, he's good but I still think you would have to be a pretty big fan to have loved it.
Scorpions - 9/10 Brilliant, could have stolen the weekend if it wasn't for a slow songs/ballards dip in the middle of the set.
Eluveitie 9/10 Loads of fun, perfect end to the fest.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I've seen Scorpions three times in recent years and I feel they've declined substantially and rapidly.

The first time was at Ramblin Man in 2015 (setlist here) which I thought was a triumph. I wasn't too familar with them at the time but was very impressed with their show.

Last year I saw them at Stone Free in The O2 (setlist here) and they were fine but nothing like as impressive as they had been three years earlier. I hadn't been planning on seeing Scorpions again but since they were playing with Megadave I felt it was worth doing. It was a good show was felt like they were going through the motions to reach 'Rock You Like A Hurricane' at the end. The instrumentals were dull and the set was unstructured.

Their performance at Bloodstock was a step down from last year (setlist here). They've barely changed their setlist over the last few years and Klaus was struggling a lot - even when he was just speaking. It wasn't an engaging performance at all and felt like they didn't really care much for where they were as it was just another show for them. Compare Scorpions to some of their peers, say Iron Maiden and Metallica, the difference in engagement and effort is enormous. On paper Scorpions were a great booking for Bloodstock but it probably came a few years too late to impress anyone. Many people around me didn't know 'Winds of Change' and just wanted to see 'Rock You Like A Hurricane'. It's probably time for Scorpions to call it a day.

There isn't much to say other than I disagree with this. They don't have the energy of a young band, but I've always really enjoyed them over recent years.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Bazorca
Powermetal Child

Postby Bazorca » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 pm

I have to agree, Metaldinosaur. For us, Scorpions were great. Admittedly, I have been waiting a very long time to see them and they didn't disappoint, so thank you, Bloodstock.
I thought they put on a decent show with some great visuals and a 'flying' drum solo (which my teenage boys loved). Personally, I would have preferred to hear some tracks off 'Savage Amusement', 'Pure Instinct' or 'Face The Heat' rather than the instrumentals and old medleys, but the fact they needed to pace themselves was completely understandable. The atmosphere by us was great with most people singing along; and Wind Of Change brought about one of the most passionate sing-a-longs I've heard in a long time - people were grinning from ear to ear, singing, dancing, hugging and some were quite emotional.

We were only there Sunday this year and didn't catch as many bands as we'd have liked. As others have said: Dee Snider - great set and an awesome frontman; Ross The Boss - really enjoyed; Queensryche - so glad they finally got to play and really enjoyed them. I did find the set list a little odd (with so many old tracks) and there wasn't a lot of movement from the band, but La Torre's vocals were incredible.

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:37 pm

Bazorca wrote:Queensryche - so glad they finally got to play and really enjoyed them. I did find the set list a little odd (with so many old tracks) and there wasn't a lot of movement from the band, but La Torre's vocals were incredible.

They were my joint set of the weekend, so its sad to see that so many other people on here didn't really enjoy them. I guess they are a band that die-hards like me will love, but they don't do much of a show or anything to pull in anyone who isn't that bothered. There were plenty of us down at the front getting really into it, but the general reaction seemed fairly polite. Speaking of the setlist, I think the band really needs to stand behind their new albums. Many of their setlists since Todd took over have been heavy on the classics and light on their new stuff. Their headline shows this year have been a bit different, but it was a shame that their Bloodstock set was so focused on older tunes. Something like Man the Machine or Propaganda Fashion would have got the crowd going more over things like I Am I or Jet City Woman imo.

Bazorca
Powermetal Child

Postby Bazorca » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:52 pm

Re: Queensryche - I'd agree. I'm not that familiar with their newer albums but was looking forward to hearing more from the Todd era. I think I Am I, NM 156 and Screaming In Digital were odd choices, and off Empire I would have preferred Best I Can and Silent Lucidity (although not sure how that would go down). Still, as I said, we enjoyed them and those near us seemed to be too. Certainly renewed my interest in them.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:26 pm

Little concerned with Vicky`s Twitter is going somewhat overboard that Parkway Drive`s 2019 Bloodstock set was the best show ever??
Just wondering if this Iconic spectacle will be released on DVD/Blu-Ray or perhaps streamed over PPV for those who missed it or went back to drink at the campsite?
Really hope this is the case or the festival are missing a trick..... :rolleyes:

samlewis45
Definitely Not Nu

Postby samlewis45 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:03 pm

varangian wrote:Little concerned with Vicky`s Twitter is going somewhat overboard that Parkway Drive`s 2019 Bloodstock set was the best show ever??

It's getting a bit tedious isn't it? Barely any of the other bands have had a look in. I didn't watch PWD, but the general consensuses seems to be that they were not more or less 'successful' in terms of crowd size etc. than any of the other headliners which makes the endless PR etc. all seem somewhat unnecessary and forced.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:10 pm

I was in Midgard for all 3 main stage headliners as none of them were to my taste. For Sabaton and Scorpions it was fucking dead, for Parkway Drive there were tons of people in the camp partying.

Given that by accounts iv heard Parkway Drive got an alright sized crowd despite how busy the campsite was im guessing they sold a shit load of day tickets which is probably an efficient money maker for the festival so could go some way to explain the hyping?

But more likely it just being a defensive reaction to the backlash

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:27 am

Cassius wrote:I was in Midgard for all 3 main stage headliners as none of them were to my taste. For Sabaton and Scorpions it was fucking dead, for Parkway Drive there were tons of people in the camp partying.

Given that by accounts iv heard Parkway Drive got an alright sized crowd despite how busy the campsite was im guessing they sold a shit load of day tickets which is probably an efficient money maker for the festival so could go some way to explain the hyping?

But more likely it just being a defensive reaction to the backlash

Valhalla was the same - big groups everywhere, even people eating the Easy Cheesy rubbish !. There were also a lot of people walking out to the car park form the main gate.

They must have shifted those day tickets in a big way, but given that the vests, ray-bans, & neck tattoos didn't start to turn up until around mid afternoon, they can't have shifted much extra in the way of merch / drink / food ?
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019