Next announcement

August 11 - 14, Catton Park, Derbyshire
Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Re: Next announcement

Postby Bizza » Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:02 pm

Soen gone, replaced by Strigoi.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

phuqsticks
Powermetal Child

Postby phuqsticks » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:33 pm

Bizza wrote:Soen gone, replaced by Strigoi.

Anyone know why?

Powerslave
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Powerslave » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 pm

phuqsticks wrote:

Anyone know why?

Issues with flights is the reason they've given.
Gutted as they were the band I was most looking forward to. That's three times in the past year I should've seen them only for them to cancel.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:11 pm

Very disappointed that Soen aren't playing and alas the replacement isn't of any interest.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:16 pm

Fuck. :cuss:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

phuqsticks
Powermetal Child

Postby phuqsticks » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:14 pm

WorMzy wrote:

Fuck. :cuss:

Couldn't have put it better myself. Soen were top of my list of bands I wanted to see and I've got no interest in Strigoi. Soen are playing Brutal Assault the day before they were due to appear, so its a shame they couldn't make the logistics work.

Dunning
Lowly Peon

Postby Dunning » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:57 am

Couple of thoughts on the secret set. I'm leaning towards it being a British act, just with the logistics of a band getting together for one set when it doesn't really seem to fit for any non-UK bands who are in Europe at the time.

Bands that Vicky Hungerford has spoken about wanting to book but never having the chance to in the past (eg Clutch, Body Count) are either playing elsewhere that day or not in Europe at the time. Bands who have played Bloodstock before and are a big enough deal to merit this level of hype are all either playing elsewhere or not touring at all;: Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Cradle of Filth, Death Angel, Immortal.

The only non-UK possibilities I can see that are free and have dates close enough for it not to be too far fetched are Helloween and (now Dominion is postponed) Blind Guardian, but for both it still seems a stretch that the cost of getting over for a set in Sophie would be worth their while when Blind Guardian could subheadline every other year if they wanted and Helloween could headline at some point in the near future.

So if we're looking at a UK based band who fit these categories while meriting the hype, I think we might be getting either someone who's big enough to headline but never has for reasons or a reunion that no one could see coming. Back to the category of bands Vicky Hungerford has previously said she loves and would like to book but feels she can't because of the controversy - it couldn't be Bring Me The Horizon could it? They are in reality far too big to play any slot other than headline, but it would never be accepted by the vast majority of people who go to Bloodstock. So they get a secret set as a compromise, Vicky hypes up having an internationally renowned band, the small number who actually want to watch them get to go wild about seeing them on a far smaller stage than they'd usually play , the people (myself included) who have no interest in them can escape the tent quickly without there having been months of a shitstorm about why this band are playing Bloodstock, which would have made the reaction to Parkway Drive look like hero worship. I hope not, but it seems more plausible the more I think about it. They're playing Knotfest Finland on the Saturday but have no gigs before that, so wouldn't be doing one gig then waiting about a few weeks until their next like Helloween would have to.

Otherwise, the reunion category. Internationally renowned UK band who would unlike my previous suggestion fit right in at Bloodstock, who have had murmurings of a potential reunion in the past but nothing concrete? Bolt Thrower?

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:34 pm

Can't see it being anyone not already on site. Dave Lombardo + Doyle = Misfits

molusc
Lowly Peon

Postby molusc » Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:20 pm

My thoughts are that if bloodstock arn't announcing the secret band then its probably a band that is touring around the time of bloodstock. Announcing a band for a fest that already has a tour booked would cause trouble with the promoters and have an effect on ticket sales. Machine head have a European tour booked that is starting a couple of weeks after bloodstock. The first dates are small venues in the u.k. suggesting that they don't mind playing small stages.
Machine heads line up now includes a u.k drummer and a polish guitarist.
It would make sense for the two American and the polish band members to fly over to the u.k to rehearse for the tour rather than fly two members to America and back again to start a tour in the u.k.
The drummer and second guitarist are not in America as you can see on from the recent Machine head live streams.
It would also be great promotion for machine heads new album that is due out in August.

Dunning
Lowly Peon

Postby Dunning » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:20 pm

i0th2 wrote:Can't see it being anyone not already on site. Dave Lombardo + Doyle = Misfits

That's a shout, although if it's at 3:30 on Friday that's going to be around the same time as Doyle on main stage.

Butthead
Powermetal Child

Postby Butthead » Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:52 pm

King Diamond solo set. I'll have to wear my pants with the reinforced gusset just incase.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:52 am

molusc wrote:My thoughts are that if bloodstock arn't announcing the secret band then its probably a band that is touring around the time of bloodstock. Announcing a band for a fest that already has a tour booked would cause trouble with the promoters and have an effect on ticket sales. Machine head have a European tour booked that is starting a couple of weeks after bloodstock. The first dates are small venues in the u.k. suggesting that they don't mind playing small stages.
Machine heads line up now includes a u.k drummer and a polish guitarist.
It would make sense for the two American and the polish band members to fly over to the u.k to rehearse for the tour rather than fly two members to America and back again to start a tour in the u.k.
The drummer and second guitarist are not in America as you can see on from the recent Machine head live streams.
It would also be great promotion for machine heads new album that is due out in August.

Machine Head don't play festivals anymore, specifically because they don't like playing to an audience that's not their own fans. Doing a secret set at a festival is the opposite of their approach so I'd be incredibly surprised.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:09 am

Dunning wrote:That's a shout, although if it's at 3:30 on Friday that's going to be around the same time as Doyle on main stage.

Good point

Asator
Consort of the Beast

Postby Asator » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:08 am

i0th2 wrote:Can't see it being anyone not already on site.

I'm hoping it's The Halo Effect as various members are already playing, but I think Me and That Man (Nergal side-project) is more likely. I haven't heard the latter, but I've enjoyed the singles THE have put out.

Dunning
Lowly Peon

Postby Dunning » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:10 am

See Amon Amarth have posted on Facebook that "an Amon Amarth inspired bandcalled Guardians of Asgard will be appearing at Wacken to play some of your favourite Amon Amarth hits." Wacken have posted it as well, saying "a very Amon Amarth inspired band."

There's obviously more to that than a simple covers band, so I wonder if we're getting the same thing? Amon Amarth doing a set under that name along with a headline set for 2023 announced?