Rate The Bands BOA 2022

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:32 am

Everyone loves a scores list...

samlewis45
Powermetal Child

Re: Rate The Bands BOA 2022

Postby samlewis45 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:02 am

Thursday:
Thuum 6/10 - Decent sludge/groove to get things started for me.
Nekrogoblikon 5/10 - Too gimmicky for me, but they had some fun moments.
Dark Tranquillity 7/10 - Only ever been a casual fan, but it was good to finally see them. Shame they were a guitarist down as there was definitely some 'help' being piped in.

Friday:
Red Method 2/10 - Not my thing at all, and the pulpit seemed a bit pretentious.
Sorcerer 7/10 - An excellent old-school heavy metal set, something which was very under-represented this year.
Doyle 4/10 - Had a very muddy sound mix considering the simplicity of the set-up, and there was no atmosphere at all as so many were seeing (or trying to see/hear) Machine Head (something I quickly gave up trying to do).
GWAR 6/10 - Was fun to finally see what all the fuss is about, even if the songs are nothing special.
Exodus 8/10 - Fast and furious, as thrash should be.
Testament 7/10 - Glad to finally see them, but I thought Exodus edged them slightly.

Saturday:
Baest 6/10 - I am not really a death metal guy but they were a good way to kick off a busy day.
Lost Society 6/10 - Decent, but there were better thrash bands throughout the weekend.
Ambrius 6/10 - All of the place stylistically, but enjoyable.
Cyhra 7/10 - One of the limited power metal (if they even are such) acts of the weekend, and their songs are very catchy.
Sylosis 8/10 - Great to see them again after quite a few years.
Jinjer 6/10 - Not really my thing, but they are great musicians and I understand why people like them.
Dimmu Borgir 6/10 - Decent, but their set felt a bit flat for a band so high up the bill.
Mercyful Fate 9/10 - Epic set, and it was great to see this legendary band play to a big crowd in the UK.

Sunday:
Skarlet Riot 7/10 - Catchy melodic rock/metal to start the final day.
Vio-lence 7/10 - Raw-sounding and powerful, a great compliment to the other thrash acts booked.
Venom Inc. 6/10 - Didn't enjoy them as much this time as I did previously. There seemed to be technical issues and Dolan seemed to be in a foul mood throughout.
Strigoi 6/10 - Not really my thing but crusty and raw.
Lamb of God 8/10 - A great set, but I have seen them do better. It did not seem very slick at times either, with 2 or 3 random big gaps between songs which killed the vibe a bit.
The Night Flight Orchestra 10/10 - Set of the weekend for me and great way to end the festival!

Butthead
Powermetal Child

Postby Butthead » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:30 pm

The Night Flight Orchestra were absolutely amazing. I'd never heard them before, by the end I was in the conga line hi fiving everyone as I went past.

It was such a blast.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:53 pm

The heat stopped me seeing as many bands as I normally would but I did manage to catch the following:

Thursday
Nekrogoblikon 7/10 - Alright, solid enough but nothing special. Don't really get the goblin gimmick if he's not really doing anything
Dark Tranquility 6/10 - Some sound issues and a wobbly vocal performance from a band I quite like usually

Friday
Bloodywood 9/10 - They were genuinely happy to be there and the set was really, really fun. Was looking forward to it and wasn't disappointed.
Machine Head 7/10 - Solid enough, but should never have been on the second stage, far too cramped and ruined the set quite a bit
Testament 8/10 - Chuck always looks like he's having fun and this makes them much more enjoyable than some of the other thrash bands for me. Not my favourite setlist but still solid as always
Behemoth 10/10 - Can't fault their performance personally, bar the mic issue in the first song. Sound, stage show, everything worked really well
Sleep Token 4/10 - Was really looking forward to them but left about 2/3rds of the way through. Didn't seem to work well live on any level

Saturday
Lorna Shore 7/10 - Not quite as good as I had hoped but still very enjoyable - I expect they will be back higher up the bill in a few years
Jinjer 8/10 - Tatiana's vocals are so powerful live! loved the set even though a lot of songs I wanted weren't played
Dimmu Borgir 7/10 - Lose points for being both typically late and ending early, but what they did play I enjoyed immensely
Mercyful Fate 8/10 - Don't know much of them but they sounded incredible. Very strong set

Sunday
Vended 7/10 - Solid enough, sounded a bit raw but potential there with experience. Certainly a level above some of the bands we've had in recent years
Butcher Babes 3/10 - God awful, very little redeeming in this set from what I saw.
Cattle Decapitation 7/10 - A band I don't know much of but wanted to catch. Enjoyed what I heard and will check out more
Killing Joke 1/10 - I don't get it at all. For me they didn't suit the vibe on the crowd at all and were a poor choice to put on before a band like LoG. Saw very few people who didn't look completely bored out of their minds
Lamb of God 7/10 - Solid enough, but once you've seen them once you've seen them a million times. Nothing special and are more suited to a special guest slot imo
Night Flight Orchestra 10/10 - Set of the weekend and deserved a larger crowd. Not sure why they were moved from their Thursday slot. I think pretty much everyone there had an absolutely ball seeing the weekend out with the conga line!
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Jay1993
Consort of the Beast

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:28 pm

Thursday

Dark Tranquillity: 8/10. Decent enough but didn't wow me. Glad to tick them off my bucket list though.

Friday

Sorcerer: 7/10. Solid bit of trad metal to kick off the day.

Machine Head: 8/10. Personally I was really happy with them as the surprise band as I've never got to see them before. I thought the choice of songs was odd though - nothing from Burn My Eyes? I only knew about four songs as a result but still had a good, sweaty time. :lol:

Gwar: 6/10. One of the bands I was really looking forward to but left disappointed. Thought the sound was really off for them. Would probably enjoy more at their own show in a tiny venue where I can get properly covered in blood lol.

Exodus: 9/10. Another I was really looking forward to as I hadn't seen them since 2013 or with Steve Souza. Cracking set and Steve Souza pisses all over Rob Dukes. :lol: A Lesson in Violence was ferocious and did a couple of crowd surfs to Blacklist and Toxic Waltz.

Testament: 9/10. Excellent follow up to Exodus. Sounded tight as ever.

Behemoth: Drifted between these and the merch stalls so can't give an accurate rating. The orange full moon while they were playing was pretty cool though!

Saturday

Saw very little this day as there was so much deathcore.

Spiritworld: 9/10. Crunchy, groovy thrash in the vein of Power Trip. Loved them!

Samael: 9/10. Great set and big sound!

Mercyful Fate: 10/10. Stunning show. Played everything you'd want to hear at a MF show. Thought King Diamond sounded better than he did when he played in 2013.

Sunday

Devastator: 7/10. Caught half of their set before Vio-Lence. Good bit of blackened thrash. Hope to see them at their own show in the future.

Vio-Lence: 8/10. Solid bit of old school thrash. Thought they would have drawn a bigger crowd considering the rarity factor.

Unburier: 8/10. Caught the second half after Vio-Lence. A band with a lot of promise in the vein of Death.

Venom Inc.: 9/10. Really enjoyed hearing Black Metal in full. Shout out to the guy spraying people with water too. :lol:

Cattle Decapitation: 8/10. Good to see these guys finally get booked. Excellent performance but struggled with the mix somewhat. It was difficult to discern everything that was going on and my ears popped at one point it was so loud. :lol:

Killing Joke: 9/10. Enjoyed them more and more as it went on. Good to see Bloodstock mixing it up with more goth/post-punk bands. Would like to see them next time they're on tour.

Lamb of God: 10/10. Crushing set. Forgot how much I love this band!

Night Flight Orchestra: 9/10. Great way to close the festival. Had a great time in the huge conga line! :lol:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:23 pm

Not a comprehensive list of bands I watched (a lot of what I watched, I don't know the names of)
Thursday:
- Nekrogoblikon: 7/10, fun band to open the weekend with. Felt bad for whomever was dressed as the goblin, and wasn't surprised to see they disappeared for long periods (presumably to take their mask off and cool down)
- Dark Tranquillity: 8/10, nice to see a band from my first Bloodstock in 2007. Still didn't play The Mundane and the Magic, but it was a good mix of old and new material.

Friday:
- Testament: 3/10, another band form 2007. Lacklustre, forgettable.
- Doyle: 1/10, dull. Can't remember why I was in the Rock Soc tent at this point, but there was absolutely nothing redeemable about the band on stage.
- Avatar: 6/10, was expecting more, but then I was distracted by some tit spidermanning it up the guide ropes of the Sophie tent to take a shaky handcam video of half a set, while security did... nothing.
- Behemoth: 5/10, nothing special. Watched about half the set from the Rock Soc tent then wandered back to the tent to drink some homebrew mead.

Saturday:
- Ferocious Dog: 7/10, pretty fun band, spent most of their set chilling out at the back of the sophie tent.
- Dimmu Borgir: 8/10, only mainstage band of the weekend I actually got into. Came on late, left early. :/

Sunday:
- Cattle Decapitation: 7/10, can't remember much about this band, but I think I enjoyed them at least.
- Lamb of God: 6/10, actually watched the full set, mostly out of obligation to watch a mainstage headline act. Needn't have bothered tbh.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 pm

Only did Sat/Sun and missed a good chunk of Saturday due to train strikes! Fuck!

Saturday-

Warlock AD: 5/10 gave there best, but there was some wobbly bits, particularly the vocals, however, I sometimes like imperfection in singers. Fun enough, but bet they're better in a couple of years.

Novacrow: 6/10 rather tight and professional sounding, though the concept and aproch is all over the place. Enjoyed it though.

Jinner: 8/10 didn't see it all, but the got a new fan out of me. Really powerful stuff.

Samael: 9/10. Had the wrong time on the lanyard which explains why their crowd was smaller than expected. But, man this was the closest to a 10/10 for me (not quite thst level though). Still, it was pretty fucking great! Band of the weekend.

Dimmu Borgir: 8/10 late on and short set; but what they played was good. Much better than last time round, the sound was far better.

Mercyful Fate: 9/10. My main reason for going. Big show. Big voice. Big tick off the bucket list. Didn't disappointed.

Sunday-

Vio-lence: Big-ish name that I don't really know, but they were very enjoyable indeed 8/10

Venom Inc.: 9/10. Black Metal is my favourite venom album, hearing it in full from the best version of venom - with nick on drums- was ace.

Cattle Decapitation: alrigh, 5/10 well played and performed, its just not really my thing though.

Strigoi: 7/10 didn't quite hit as hard as vallenfyre, but there well worth a watch. That Abandon all Faith song is crushing!

Killing Joke: 2/10. Didn't watch it all, but i tried um' as their a big name. Just didn't work for me. Strange disconnected feeling was present.

Belphegor 7/10: Much better than last time. Bigger stage show and tighter played. Rather impressive.

Dark funeral: 8/10 I've seen them be underwhelming a few times (admittedly it was when magnus was checkingout of the band). Not this time though. Best I've seen them.

Lamb of God: 8/10. Mabye 8 is a bit generous, but it was a stong pafomace. They have some good songs and know how to make them hit. I do find Randy's stage persona rather annoying though. Great sound, even from the back.

Night Flight Orchestra: 9/10 so much fun. Hard rock/AOR heaven. Why was there so few melodic bands this year? They go down a storm. It's baffling. Perfect end to the fest though.

Though there may not have been a transcendental awesome band like the nightwish headline set, I loved this year. Nothing I wanted to see disappointed and I got won over by bands I didn't know at all. Overall, it was a big win!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Baldy77
Warrior of Metal

Postby Baldy77 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:26 am

Actually saw a fair amount of bands in between trying not to melt

Thursday

Basement Torture Killings 7
Nanowar of Steel 8
Nekrogoblikon 7
Dark Tranquillity 6

Friday

Hellfekted 9 awesome
I Fight Bears 6
Bloodywood 10 outstanding
Haint 7
Fornoth 7
Gwar 8 songs ok visual brilliant
Exodus 8
Testament 9

Saturday
Sister Shotgun 6
Draconian Reign 7
Portrayal of Ruin 6
Lorna Shore 7
Cast in Tephra 6
Steel Mage 7
Samuel 7
Blood Youth 6
Ingested 8
Merciful Fate 9
Malevolence 10

Sunday
Scarlett Riott 8
Butcher Babies 10 fantastic, lively
Venom Inc 10 Black Metal album brilliant
Orbit Culture 8
Ill Nino 6
Strigoi 7 slow pit circle made everyone smile
Belphegor 8
Lamb of God 7 good show but not really a fan, ok though
Night Flight Orchestra 6 many enjoyed it which is nice but I’m not really a fan of 80s pop but I liked Satellite

All in all pretty damn good

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:27 am

Thursday
3 Basement Torture Killings
4 Thuum
6 Nanowar Of Steel
5 Nekrogoblikon
6 Dark Tranquillity
5 Icons On Tour

Friday
4 Heart Of A Coward
5 Ireosis
8 Sorcerer
1 Party Cannon
3 Bloodywood
6 Exodus
8 Fyresky
7 Testament
8 Avatar
5 Behemoth
5 Sleep Token
6 Through Hell Into Paradise

Saturday
2 Baest
7 Sister Shotgun
4 Lost Society
5 Draconian Reign
4 Ambrius
2 Spirit World
4 Lorna Shore
7 Cyhra
3 Sylosis
6 Novacrow
4 Jinjer
5 Solar Sons
5 Tribe Of Ghosts
8 Dimmu Borgir
6 Ferocious Dog
7 Martin Feral
7 Mercyful Fate

Sunday
7 Skarlett Riot
7 Pelugion
2 Vended
4 Vio-lence
5 Venom Inc
1 Cattle Decapitation
6 Orbit Culture
4 Dark Funeral
4 Must Kill
5 Killing Joke
5 Torus
4 Belphegor
3 Lamb Of God
5 Night Flight Orchestra
8 Rekovered

A few standout acts, but overall a very weak festival for my tastes.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

new empire
Definitely Not Nu

Postby new empire » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:34 pm

Mother Vulture - Started stronger than they finished for me. Very enjoyable though.
Necrogoblikon - The music takes a back seat. Not up to scratch for me. Left after 2 songs.

Sorcerer - It's a big stage. Use it. Very boring to watch a band just stand there. Might have worked better in a small venue. Nice music though.
Doyle - Very disappointing. I was looking forward to these. Seemingly zero effort put in.
Behemoth - Spectacular albeit not quite my thing.

Inhuman Nature - Very much my thing. Loved 'em.
Thrown Into Exile - Good uptempo raucous thrash. Very lively to watch. Excellent band to watch.
Discharge - Absolutely superb. Pure rage. We can do with more old school thrash punk in my opinion. In my top three for the weekend without a doubt.
Heathen - Really enjoyed them. A band that seemed to bypass me back in the day. That will be rectified.

Baest - Competent death metal. I left for the shade of the Sophie tent though.
Sister Shotgun - Absolutely brilliant. Very charismatic front woman with a great voice. One of the best bands of the weekend for me.
Cyhra - Another great find on the Sophie stage. Flawless and effortless clean vocals with catchy songs. A set that seemed to be far too short. Fantastic.
Sylosis - Alright, but fairly one dimensional vocals for me.
Jinjer - I don't get what the fuss is about. Did nothing for me.
Mercyful Fate - Brilliant. Loved 'em. Fell out of love with the vocals many years ago but loved every minute of this set.

Scarlett Riot - Probably a bit on the soft side for me but a good solid set.
Butcher Babies - Didn't get it at all. Lasted 2 songs.
Vio-lence - Pretty good. Another band that I really didn't manage to get into back in the day. Got the vomit pack EP. Never really listened to it. Wouldn't go out of my way to see them again though.
Venom Inc - My highlight of the weekend. I was on cloud nine for this set. I'd been looking forward to it from the moment it was announced. They brought the chaos as Venom always do ha haaa
Killing Joke - I probably would have appreciated them a bit better in a smaller setting. Not really my sort of punk. I prefer a more bouncy, shouty style. Big crowd in front of them though so certainly a good booking.
Desert Storm - Couldn't get into them.
Guilt Trip - I liked the energy.
Orbit Culture - I quite liked them but I was running out of steam badly by this time and bailed out.

Prolapse AD - Just what the doctor ordered. Humour with music and musicianship that takes the front seat (unlike Necrogoblikon). Hi energy, uptempo razor sharp thrash. Spot on.
Sweet May - Very accomplished and solid band. I wanted something with more edge that early in the morning though.
Devastator - I've rarely seen a band go down quite so well on the New Blood stage. They were brilliant.

Digg3r
Lowly Peon

Postby Digg3r » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:06 am

Thursday:
Thuum- 5/10 - Competent enough but not very interesting.
Nanowar Of Steel- 6/10 - Despite my looking forward to them immensely, did not live up to what i was expecting of them.
Dark Tranquility- 8/10 - Great set, glad i've finally seen them live!

Friday:
Heart Of A Coward- 7/10 - Good Start to the first full day.
Sorcerer- 8/10 - Despite a lack of stage presence, very much enjoyed their show!
Machine Head- 5/10 - Big Machine Head fan but the crowd was insane and the setlist they played felt unusual and not that good.
Gwar- 7/10 - Always entertaining, even if the music itself isn't always that good.
Exodus- 10/10 - A masterclass of thrashing goodness. Absolutely flawless performance for me.
Testament- 8/10 - Great set, always fantastic live but was kinda overshadowed by exodus.

Saturday:
Baest- 6/10 - Good death metal set to start the day.
Lost Society- 9/10 - Another great thrash set, these guys get better everytime i see them.
Spirit World- 2/10 - Absolutely terrible. Not sure why they were given the time of day.
Lorna Shore- 9/10 - Become a fan since they got their new singer and my first time seeing them did not disappoint!
Cyhra- 9/10 - As a genre massively underrepresented this year, Cyhra were a great band to see.
Jinjer- 7/10 - Probably would have enjoyed them more if I knew their material.
Dimmu Borgir- 6/10 - Massive Dimmu fan but their set kinda fell flat for me.
Ferocious Dog- 10/10 - Set of the weekend for me by far. Sound was perfect, great fun and a very welcome dose of folk.
Mercyful Fate- 5/10 - Unpopular opinion but i thought they were very disappointing. I am a huge fan and have been for years but their set just left me thinking that it could have been so much more.

Sunday:
Butcher Babies- 6/10 - Enjoyable start to the final day.
Vio-Lence- 7/10 - Another decent thrash set
Venom Inc.- 8/10 - These guys always deliver, very good set!
Lamb Of God- 7/10 - Definitely better than the first time they played but feel i really need to know more of their stuff to get into their live show

gutted i missed Cattle Decapitation due to feeling unwell with the heat. but overall not a bad year but far from the greatest bloodstock ever

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:03 pm

samlewis45 wrote:Venom Inc. 6/10 - Didn't enjoy them as much this time as I did previously. There seemed to be technical issues and Dolan seemed to be in a foul mood throughout.

I actually didn't mind all the mistakes. It was a throwback to the Hell and Hammersmith show when Mantas yelled at the crowd, "You wanna hear Venom without mistakes? Listen to your fucking EPs!"

But I was frustrated as fuck that Tony didn't realize that his microphone was indeed working. C'mon man, just keep going! "The dark silouette of the creature...."