Should Bloodstock really say it's a family friendly Festival?

August 11 - 14, Catton Park, Derbyshire
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Should Bloodstock really say it's a family friendly Festival?

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:24 am

In the good, bad and ugly thread there's comments about the way people dress in front of children. Should Bloodstock really try and sell itself as a family friendly fest anyway?

This is purely my opinion and we all have different values but I would never take my young children to this fest for following reasons:

1: There's no entertainment for children unless you class collecting cups all day as that. There's plenty of children festivals you could take them to instead. The kids must get bored.

2: Constant sweariing from the stage.

3: People's general behavior whilst drunk. Like the bloke flashing in the main arena at some point.

Calling it family friendly just seems at odds with what the experience actually is. Like I understand people want to dress how they want and have fun. It's an extreme metal fest after all. Teens going to their first fest probably don't even expect young kids to be there. The name "bloodstock" doesn't make you think "Oh they'll be kids so I'd better stay covered up."

Finally I saw one family who bizarrely had a five year old with ear defenders but a one year old without them. Put ear defenders on your children! It's your choice to take them to an ear damaging environment. When they are adults they can choose themselves whether a fest is worth damaging your hearing or not but for now it's not their choice.
I see the bad moon arising.

Cassius
Warrior of Metal

Re: Should Bloodstock really say it's a family friendly Festival?

Postby Cassius » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:09 pm

No as I posted in the other thread I think its very irresponsible for Bloodstock to market the festival as family friendly. Its a festival of a load of adults cutting loose and getting fucked up for 4 days and most of the behaviour is not oriented round families at all

Your gonna see drunk people, high people, nudity, swearing, violence and violent references. If they were to try remove all that to make it actually family friendly most of us would just not attend

tbh metal as a genre is not really kid friendly as half the songs are about murder, rape, torture etc so it seems a really odd thing to expect

Im not sure id completely ban children but Bloodstock should definitely stop saying its family friendly and should instead warn parents that while they can bring kids they are bringing them into an adult environment where they are for example gonna hear the word cunt about 1000 times before they are done

Butthead
Powermetal Child

Postby Butthead » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:18 pm

I can't imagine these parents are taking their kids to Bloodstock, not knowing what to expect.

I've got two young kids, I would 100% take them. The only thing that would put me off would be the logistics involved. The volume of stuff you would need to carry around at all times would be tricky.

I've got major respect for anyone who is willing to do it.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:30 pm

Cassius wrote:No as I posted in the other thread I think its very irresponsible for Bloodstock to market the festival as family friendly. Its a festival of a load of adults cutting loose and getting fucked up for 4 days and most of the behaviour is not oriented round families at all

Your gonna see drunk people, high people, nudity, swearing, violence and violent references. If they were to try remove all that to make it actually family friendly most of us would just not attend

tbh metal as a genre is not really kid friendly as half the songs are about murder, rape, torture etc so it seems a really odd thing to expect

Im not sure id completely ban children but Bloodstock should definitely stop saying its family friendly and should instead warn parents that while they can bring kids they are bringing them into an adult environment where they are for example gonna hear the word cunt about 1000 times before they are done

This is probably it really.

The fest had a way more family friendly vibe 10 years ago, but it's not really the case now. I still think people should conduct themselves better mind.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:13 pm

I understand it was hot but people shouldn't dress how they wouldn't if they were walking the streets of London. It's a metal fest not a sex fest.
That said, people want to have fun and getting drunk is what you'd expect at a metal show so you'd expect the same at a metal festival. Drunk adults will like to let loose and act crazy. Still, none of that is any different from drunk people walking the streets in public and any drunk person who sees a kid will likely tone down their speech but still be rather entertaining. For example, I remember one time I was wasted walking with my girlfriend along a beach on fireworks night, saw a kid acting like a dog and barking at people, I remembered how I liked to pretend to be a dog when I was a kid so I barked at her as I passed by. Perfectly family friendly drunk behavior in public.
Now, if the security would just tell all those dudes to put their dick back in their pants just like any police officer would in a public place, then maybe Bloodstock could be considered family friendly. Why not? Kids like metal too, why should they be deprived just because there's some idiots that want to pretend they are in Sodom and Gomorrah?