Saxon

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Saxon

Postby varangian » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:14 pm

A perennial BOA fave and never let the crowd down

Obviously on a high as locally playing a venue two sizes up from past Headliners Amon Amarth (who they played 3rd to last time)

Do me behind a headliner on a Sunday, something to sing and nod to

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Re: Saxon

Postby Baldy77 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:51 pm

Yes!

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Looking forward to seeing them again in Glasgow next month. A hell yes from me

https://youtu.be/3IkvZ3ePCIM
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:59 am

varangian wrote:Obviously on a high as locally playing a venue two sizes up from past Headliners Amon Amarth (who they played 3rd to last time)

What venue is this? I'm sure Saxon are playing the Camden Roundhouse, or have done recently, which Amon Amarth sold out in 2016 - although one could argue that having Testament as support helped.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:28 am

varangian wrote:Obviously on a high as locally playing a venue two sizes up from past Headliners Amon Amarth (who they played 3rd to last time)

Do me behind a headliner on a Sunday, something to sing and nod to

uh? where is this?

Saxon's last 3 London gigs have been at Shepherds Bush Empire, a venue about half the size of the Roundhouse where Amon Amarth played last time. AA are easily bigger, Saxon may just about scrape a special guest slot, but I'd imagine they'd stay in 3rd place.

I quite like the old knackers, but they'd hardly make me rush out and get a ticket.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:02 pm

Saxon are playing Nottingham Royal Centre
last time Amon Amarth headlined was at the Rescue Rooms

Saxon usually play Nottingham Rock City along with the likes of Opeth, Machine Head, Arch Enemy, W.A.S.P etc Even the anniversary and greatest hits tours have been at RC (Well packed also).
So I was hoping was an indication of growing re-popularity (!)

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast

Postby kurrupo » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:35 pm

varangian wrote:Saxon are playing Nottingham Royal Centre
last time Amon Amarth headlined was at the Rescue Rooms

Saxon usually play Nottingham Rock City along with the likes of Opeth, Machine Head, Arch Enemy, W.A.S.P etc Even the anniversary and greatest hits tours have been at RC (Well packed also).
So I was hoping was an indication of growing re-popularity (!)

I've seen saxon loads of times at rock city and it's never even close to a sell out. Correct me if I'm wrong but amon amarth didn't do notts on their last tour but sold out the main O2 academy Birmingham which is significantly bigger than rock city. Think saxon should be 3rd down at best. They tour so regularly so don't think they warrant a special guest slot, never mind a headline slot

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:18 pm

kurrupo wrote: Correct me if I'm wrong but amon amarth didn't do notts on their last tour but sold out the main O2 academy Birmingham which is significantly bigger than rock city.

I looked this up earlier. Amon Amarth did indeed play a show in Nottingham in 2015 but on their 2016 tour with Testament and Grand Magus supporting they played in the Birmingham Academy. This same tour included a sold out show at Camden Roundhouse which Saxon are playing at on October 19th.

I've seen Saxon once before. Playing third from top beneath Scorpions and Dream Theater and Ramblin Man in 2015.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:41 pm

Saxon are vastly bigger than Amon Amarth.

Can't remember seeing Amon Amarth on Top Of The Pops....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Saxon are vastly bigger than Amon Amarth.

Could that have anything to do with the fact it was axed in 2006?

Amon Amaraths last album got to 30 in UK and 19 in US, Saxon last album got to 29 and didn't chart in US. Saxon definitely aren't vastly bigger, they're on a similar level, and in the UK AA are bigger.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:39 am

I wouldn't care if 2nd or 3rd down just make it happen!

Last time was Megadeth/Amon Amarth/Saxon and lovely bit of booking from my perspective
Given some of the "Special guest" slots awarded though, I feel Saxon far more worthy

How many bands can split the crowd in half and try to make one side sing louder than the other in 2018 and make it work?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:57 am

varangian wrote:How many bands can split the crowd in half and try to make one side sing louder than the other in 2018 and make it work?

Ummmm.....most of them?

That's a pretty bog standard thing for a band to do.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:13 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Saxon are vastly bigger than Amon Amarth.

Could that have anything to do with the fact it was axed in 2006?

Amon Amaraths last album got to 30 in UK and 19 in US, Saxon last album got to 29 and didn't chart in US. Saxon definitely aren't vastly bigger, they're on a similar level, and in the UK AA are bigger.

I think that our good friend Gandalf Rees Mogg is trolling us this time. No Metal band would get anywhere near Top of the Pops if it were to make a comeback anyway.

bloodfiend wrote:
varangian wrote:How many bands can split the crowd in half and try to make one side sing louder than the other in 2018 and make it work?

Ummmm.....most of them?

That's a pretty bog standard thing for a band to do.

Correct. :lol:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:39 pm

Being on Top of the Pops 35 years ago is hardly a good indicator of a band's popularity in 2018...

I would say Amon Amarth and Saxon are probably at the same levels of popularity in the UK these days. I don't know about London but in Manchester they both tend play the same venues on recent tours.

grimjim
Warrior of Metal

Postby grimjim » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 pm

Yes
i will never be able to answer what you asked of me...... Because something much more interesting just happened on the T.V.!