2021 Bands Ranking List

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah, I know there's one down there that's been carried over but the lineup is a little different and nobody is changing the title and I'm really excited to be coming back to Bloodstock since 2016 so here's a fresh thread!

I'm just gonna go top to bottom here:

Mercyful Fate - Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck YEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!

Judas Priest - Been the soundtrack for a lot of my life so of course!

Devin Townsend - Been getting into his stuff for some year now.

Paradise Lost - Became a bigger fan in 2012 but was mad because he cut his hair, missed their set in 2016 because I was drunk and couldn't get off the ground back at camp.

Raised By Owls - Been checking out their funny videos so just got to check them out.

Butcher Babies - Because they're awesome!

Dog Tired - Missed them at another Bloodstock, I must've been drunk or something.

Saxon - Bloodstock 2014 got me sold on them!

Sacred Reich - It's all about that album I owned in the mid 90s, Heal.


I know there's gonna be more bands I'm gonna get really excited about as I check them out on youtube.



PS. Pleaaaasse get Savage Master back on the bill!

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7796
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:03 pm

Green Man III wrote:Sacred Reich - It's all about that album I owned in the mid 90s, Heal.


Christ, really? That album was bloody awful, check out their early stuff! There's pretty much no way they'll play anything off of Heal, it'll all be from Ignorance, Surf Nicaragua and The American Way with a sprinkling of stuff from their new album (they're working on new tracks I believe too).

User avatar
Soze
Denim Demon
Posts: 7796
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm
Location: Plymouth
Contact:

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Soze » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:06 pm

For me the big draws are Mercyful Fate, Sacred Reich, Dark Tranquillity (although they've gone through some pretty big line up changes in the last few years), Acid Reign, Gloryhammer and Vio-lence (although some of their politics have put me off them of late) and Saxon. I'd watch Priest but it's not really Priest anymore without Tipton and Downing.

User avatar
Smerphy
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:51 pm
Location: Perthshire

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Smerphy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:14 pm

For me overall the line-up is decent but Mercyful Fate headlining is what won me over, I doubt I would be attending otherwise.

I'm liking that they're booking more up and coming bands like Green Lung, Lost Society, Conjurer, Jinjer and Svalbard, hoping we can get Idle Hands back on the bill too! There's a bit too much thrash for my taste, I find that all that the thrash bands on the bill sound really similar, Toxic Holocaust are probably the only one that stands out. Overall a good balance of old school and new school, JP and Devin, Saxon and Black Dahlia, Life of Agony and Gloryhammer, definitely gets points for that. I like that they've booked some rare appearances too, Night Flight Orchestra, Mercyful Fate and Vio-Lence in particular, I suppose Bloodywood too but they're shite.

Loses points for Phil Anselmo, putting him on before Skindred and Bloodywood seems like some kind of sick joke, he's a white nationalist and he doesn't belong at any show associated with the SOPHIE charity.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.



That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:25 am

Soze wrote:
Green Man III wrote:Sacred Reich - It's all about that album I owned in the mid 90s, Heal.


Christ, really? That album was bloody awful, check out their early stuff! There's pretty much no way they'll play anything off of Heal, it'll all be from Ignorance, Surf Nicaragua and The American Way with a sprinkling of stuff from their new album (they're working on new tracks I believe too).


Good thing I also owned a live album of theirs so I got a chance to hear other songs. Altogether, they're not a favorite but they're definitely listenable.
Another tidbit, when I was a teenager I remember seeing an add for a demo of theirs before they released any official albums. I wonder what that demo would be worth now if I had bought it.

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:31 am

Smerphy wrote:For me overall the line-up is decent but Mercyful Fate headlining is what won me over, I doubt I would be attending otherwise.

I'm liking that they're booking more up and coming bands like Green Lung, Lost Society, Conjurer, Jinjer and Svalbard, hoping we can get Idle Hands back on the bill too! There's a bit too much thrash for my taste, I find that all that the thrash bands on the bill sound really similar, Toxic Holocaust are probably the only one that stands out. Overall a good balance of old school and new school, JP and Devin, Saxon and Black Dahlia, Life of Agony and Gloryhammer, definitely gets points for that. I like that they've booked some rare appearances too, Night Flight Orchestra, Mercyful Fate and Vio-Lence in particular, I suppose Bloodywood too but they're shite.

Loses points for Phil Anselmo, putting him on before Skindred and Bloodywood seems like some kind of sick joke, he's a white nationalist and he doesn't belong at any show associated with the SOPHIE charity.


Overkill is on the bill?! Do you know something I don't? If they are, they will be in my must see! Excellent band and I've got a personal history with Bobby Blitz.

I want to check out Vio-lence because they're the band that Robb Flyn was in prior to Machine Head so I'm intrigued. But I've still yet to check out any of their music.

I wanna check out Bloodywood too. Not because I'm into their music but just for the novelty of it. Plus I worked at a company that was primarily Sikhs for 3 years so there's a personal connection there.

Also listened to some Jinjer since my last post so I'm pretty sure I'll be checking them out too.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3325
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:35 am

Green Man III wrote:
Smerphy wrote:For me overall the line-up is decent but Mercyful Fate headlining is what won me over, I doubt I would be attending otherwise.

I'm liking that they're booking more up and coming bands like Green Lung, Lost Society, Conjurer, Jinjer and Svalbard, hoping we can get Idle Hands back on the bill too! There's a bit too much thrash for my taste, I find that all that the thrash bands on the bill sound really similar, Toxic Holocaust are probably the only one that stands out. Overall a good balance of old school and new school, JP and Devin, Saxon and Black Dahlia, Life of Agony and Gloryhammer, definitely gets points for that. I like that they've booked some rare appearances too, Night Flight Orchestra, Mercyful Fate and Vio-Lence in particular, I suppose Bloodywood too but they're shite.

Loses points for Phil Anselmo, putting him on before Skindred and Bloodywood seems like some kind of sick joke, he's a white nationalist and he doesn't belong at any show associated with the SOPHIE charity.


Overkill is on the bill?! Do you know something I don't? If they are, they will be in my must see! Excellent band and I've got a personal history with Bobby Blitz.

I want to check out Vio-lence because they're the band that Robb Flyn was in prior to Machine Head so I'm intrigued. But I've still yet to check out any of their music.

I wanna check out Bloodywood too. Not because I'm into their music but just for the novelty of it. Plus I worked at a company that was primarily Sikhs for 3 years so there's a personal connection there.

Also listened to some Jinjer since my last post so I'm pretty sure I'll be checking them out too.


Where did he say Overkill was on the bill?

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:31 pm

Oh fuck, I misread Overall as Overkill. Hopeful thinking I guess. :lol:


Oh and Soze, I checked out those other Sacred Reich albums. Good stuff. Although I'm still hoping to hear them play Low.

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:11 pm

Okay, adding Svalbard to my list because I've seen a few videos now and they are the kind of music I've been getting into.

And gotta see Orange Goblin because the singer looks like me when I get really drunk. That and they're good.

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 pm

Listening to Soen's album Lotus right now and they're sounding like a band I might want to check out.

That's one nice thing about having a Bloodstock so far off on the horizon, plenty of time to check out all the bands on the line up. 8)

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1213
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:29 pm

Judas Priest and Mercyful Fate are my top tier and reall ybig deals for me.

Second are Dimmu and Paradise Lost, they are amongst my favourite bands

Third is a good chunk of bands I like and I want to see in quite a big way: Unleash the Archers, Dark Tranquility, idle Hands, Saxon, Gloryhammer, Dimondhead, Orange Goblin.

Then there are a few I will catch, that I've got the odd record or that I'm interested in: Devon, Sacred Reich, Phillip and friends, Violence, memoriam.

Friday is weaker for me but, like many on here the addition of Fate swung it for me.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:09 am

Yeah Fate was what got me to get my ticket a whole year in advance and luckily too because I decided to go VIP for the first time and the few remaining tickets were sold out within just 6 minutes.

But after checking out bands online and with the new announcements, I think this is my order of must see preference right now:

Mercyful Fate
Savage Master
Butcher Babies
Paradise Lost
Judas Priest
Devin Townsend
Dimmu Borgir
Sacred Reich
Saxon
Svalbard
Acid Reign
Dark Tranquility
Vio-Lence
Dog Tired
Raised By Owls
Nekrogoblin
Life of Agony
Soen
Lost Society
Memoriam
Jinjer
Grave Lines
Orange Goblin
Green Lung
Unleash the Archers
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Bloodywood
The Crawling
Blasphemer


Pretty good so far. New Blood and Jager stage not even announcing any bands yet and I've got a long list of bands I'm at least interested in checking out and I've still got a bunch I haven't check out yet.

User avatar
Green Man III
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:33 am

Re: 2021 Bands Ranking List

Postby Green Man III » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:30 am

I'm blown away from this song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwq7OMHqcko

See! This is why I like having lots of time to check out bands I never heard of before that are on the line up for the next Bloodstock that I'm going to.

Part of the joy of Bloodstock is the waiting for Bloodstock.