Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm

All arguments aside, I'm actually happy with all three headliners this year (perhaps one of the few :lol: )
I do agree that the undercard seems to be suffering more than usual as it stands now.
I still have hope there will at least some more solid bookings, we still have 2 special guests, 2 Sophie stage headliners and most of the main stage slots still to be announced.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
SlaytanicBacon wrote:
metalicbear wrote:Devin especially he's playing low down at other festivals like Hellfest.

Devin is headlining Into The Grave the same weekend as Bloodstock and his Hellfest slot is headlining one the other stages which I'd argue isn't a low down slot?! :?
Most of his UK shows in December are also sold out.
Whether you guys like it or not Devin IS BIG ENOUGH to headline now.

Yes but which other bands are headlining that stage at Hellfest? I'll tell you - Obituary, Sepultura, Mayhem, Wardruna and Watain. Are any of them even remotely big enough to headline Bloodstock?

None of those bands play venues the size DT does in the Uk, so positioning on a French festival is irrelevant - it may be the only slot that gives him the set length a 'by request' type gig will provide.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:32 pm

I think they are saving the budget for next year. Mötley Crüe, (the reaction to MC on the FB Live was interesting) or something else that would push the economics of the thing.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:07 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:I think they are saving the budget for next year. Mötley Crüe, (the reaction to MC on the FB Live was interesting) or something else that would push the economics of the thing.

I hope not, MC are so far past their sell by date it isn't funny.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:36 pm

As far as I could tell they sold a lot less weekend tickets than normal this year judging from the fact the camp sites was far less cramped than normal with Ironwood being half empty.

Recon they had locked in Priest a fair while ago and are now suffering with the budget due to lack of sales this year?

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:42 pm

Cassius wrote:As far as I could tell they sold a lot less weekend tickets than normal this year judging from the fact the camp sites was far less cramped than normal with Ironwood being half empty.

Recon they had locked in Priest a fair while ago and are now suffering with the budget due to lack of sales this year?

They clearly sold a lot less as they didn't have that campsite on the otherside of Ironwood open that was there in 2018.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm

metalicbear wrote:Do they even care anymore?

I certainly don't care anymore. With each announcement the chances of my attendance drop a bit more. I might go for a day if a couple of really good bands are announced for the same day, but at the moment it looks like I'll be giving BOA 2020 a miss.
Skippy wrote:It really does look like Priest are eating the budget, but even last time they played they booked Nightwish the same year, a reasonably big band

The same Nightwish who will be headlining Wembley Arena for the third time in six years at the end of next year. Judas Priest's last non-festival headlining show in London was at Brixton Academy I believe, which is barely half the capacity of Wembley Arena. If Nightwish are "reasonably big" what are Judas Priest?

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:41 pm

The long term strategy is interesting, if they indeed have one(?)

Are they looking to add 5-10k on the gate in the next couple of years or remain as it is?
If they are they will alienate a good amount if it goes "Download lite" or do they just intend spending more on the same thing but more budget to improve the line up?

Whilst the Saturday experiments most notably Parkway Drive last year may have sold day tickets there is the possibility that it divided another in the way of weekend tickets

Certainly and I have said it before, as a 20th year anniversary it dosent look the strongest bill in the World given the arguments against the headliners. On a purely personal level I would have given the anniversary a more universally known headliner each night and thought of Devin/Behemoth next year. Very much the carpe dieme moment of trying to get Saxon on the 40th Anniversary or MF/KD in a good spot who are doing the circuit currently, next year if booked both those acts will not have the same lustre.

Think I would have witheld yesterday`s announcement very poor for me, needs a few good main stage announcements

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:22 pm

varangian wrote:Certainly and I have said it before, as a 20th year anniversary it dosent look the strongest bill in the World given the arguments against the headliners. On a purely personal level I would have given the anniversary a more universally known headliner each night and thought of Devin/Behemoth next year. Very much the carpe dieme moment of trying to get Saxon on the 40th Anniversary or MF/KD in a good spot who are doing the circuit currently, next year if booked both those acts will not have the same lustre.

I'd actually been hoping that we'd see some of the bands that used to typify Bloodstock, got people going in the first place, and helped give them their business. Put a bill full of Sonata Arctica, Ensiferum, Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Edguy, Turisas, Epica, Gamma Ray - you might not have the big ticket facebook names there, but the member-berries would come out for the fans, who now tend to have that magic disposable income, and you'd shift the weekend tickets with all of the goodness that comes with that. Even if it was one last old-school lineup, it'd be a great party.

Instead they're chasing kids on Facebook with rubbish like Jinjer, Thy Art is Murder, and Parkway Hype.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Really happy to see Cattle Decapitation finally booked, and in a well-deserved headline slot. Saturday night just got a whole lot heavier! :D

Very surprised to see Bloodywood in a headline slot, especially since they only started writing original material last year and haven't released a full length of original material thus far (according to Wiki) :? I have no doubt that they'll go down well live, especially in light of the reception Eluveitie got this year who Bloodywood has a lot of similarity with. Personally I would have preferred a more established band such as Electric Wizard or Mayhem but hey, I'm happy to give them a go live.

Been meaning to check out Green Lung for a while and this announcement has finally given me the incentive to listen to their debut twice. This is right up my alley; it's like a heavier/groovier version of Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats :D Will definitely go out of my way to catch these and pray they don't clash with anyone big!

Bossk are always great live. Nothing to get excited about as an announcement but may watch them depending on clashes. Same with Memoriam; seem to show up everywhere but I still haven't managed to see them somehow :lol: Think I've seen Ramage Inc before at the festival, will have to revisit them to jog my memory.

Think I'll be organized for once this year and get my early bird ticket on payday!

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:02 pm

Also, the next announcement is 10th December apparently.

Bands finishing tours by then:

- Gwar/Voivod
- Kataklysm/Whitechapel/Fleshgod Apocalypse/Dyscarnate
- Last in Line
- Municipal Waste/Toxic Holocaust/Enforcer/Skeletal Remains (yes please!)
- Uriah Heep/Skid Row/The Quireboys

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:16 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Also, the next announcement is 10th December apparently.

- Gwar/Voivod
- Last in Line

Let's hope she's in the gym that day & misses that lot.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:59 am

Methuen wrote:

- Gwar/Voivod
- Last in Line

Let's hope she's in the gym that day & misses that lot.

I dunno, there's several bands there that I'd take any day over a lot of the shite currently on the lineup

Dombag
Warrior of Metal

Postby Dombag » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:45 pm

- Gwar/Voivod
- Last in Line

I for one would be find with these bands. But, mostly holding out for Toxic Holocaust, Skeletal Remains and Gwar.
home of metal breakdown http://stbproduction.blogspot.co.uk/

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:47 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:I think they are saving the budget for next year. Mötley Crüe, (the reaction to MC on the FB Live was interesting) or something else that would push the economics of the thing.

Oh dear god I hope not. They were awful at DL 2015 and I can't see them being as "good" let alone better than they were then. At least when BOA blow the budget on JP we get a great band out of it, having a downsized undercard for a shit headliner would be the worst outcome.

Can't see it happening anyway, unless BOA are ok with being 1 date of a larger UK tour; can't see MC not doing an Arena tour if are to tour here again.

Like squinting really, really, really hard; I can see the slightest hope for this scenario:

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get Mercyful Fate on the 10th as one last big band before prices go up. With them booked, it would explain why we've got as small an undercard as we did in 2018. I can't see Devin and Behemoth costing as much as Gojira and Nightwish did. Only reasons I can think of why we have as small an undercard as we did in 2018 is that JP have jacked up their fee for their 50 year tour and the value of the Pound has fallen.