Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby phuqsticks » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:22 pm

I normally try to be positive about most things Bloodstock related and avoid most of the shit-flinging that goes on in this forum, but that has to be the worst festival announcement i've seen. Why would anyone want to follow seeing Judas Priest with Hatebreed in a tent at midnight?

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:42 pm

The Saturday line-up would have gone down really well ten years ago, haven't heard anyone clamoring for Sylosis or Toxic Holocaust or Paradise Lost recently, slightly surprised they're still going.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Another terrible announcement. What a disappointment the 20th anniversary has proven to be!

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:04 pm

Smerphy wrote:The Saturday line-up would have gone down really well ten years ago, haven't heard anyone clamoring for Sylosis or Toxic Holocaust or Paradise Lost recently, slightly surprised they're still going.

i mean sylosis have literally just come back from haitus. buut do agree, i forgot toxic holocaust where a band until they where announced as muncipal waste support last year
still unsure how i feel about paradise lost being special guest... i mean the set is one of the ones im most hyped for as dracinian times was the album that led me out of the world of mainstream metal many years back...but is underwelming for sure ....although jaded live as the sun sets <3

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 pm

Well Sunday is still decent in a seen it all before sort of way, but there's barely a band on the other two days that i would watch in the pub next door. Shocking

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09 am

Bearintown wrote:Well Sunday is still decent in a seen it all before sort of way, but there's barely a band on the other two days that i would watch in the pub next door. Shocking

Decent?

The first 5 bands on the main stage are dogshit, and fucking Hatebreed are headlining the Sophie tent. Decent?

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:35 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Bearintown wrote:Well Sunday is still decent in a seen it all before sort of way, but there's barely a band on the other two days that i would watch in the pub next door. Shocking

Decent?

The first 5 bands on the main stage are dogshit, and fucking Hatebreed are headlining the Sophie tent. Decent?

Yeah, it's definitely a miss for me & my group this year (ten of us altogether in 2018) - some are doing a day at Download, some are going to the eurofests. I'm going to see the bands I thought BOA might book (Delain, Helloween, VoA) on their own tours, and catch Saxon & Winterfylleth at their own shows. For the price of the ticket + expenses, I can see more individually than I'll get this year. Might even squeeze in a HRH Vikings or something too.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am

Methuen wrote:

Yeah, it's definitely a miss for me & my group this year (ten of us altogether in 2018) - some are doing a day at Download, some are going to the eurofests. I'm going to see the bands I thought BOA might book (Delain, Helloween, VoA) on their own tours, and catch Saxon & Winterfylleth at their own shows. For the price of the ticket + expenses, I can see more individually than I'll get this year. Might even squeeze in a HRH Vikings or something too.

HRH VIkings is looking great this year - seems they are booking ALL of the decent folk metal bands now :D
Tempted to go myself - that lineup is right up my street!

Also agree on seeing bands at their own shows is a better way of seeing them as none of the decent ones get booked for Bloodstock anymore :(

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:23 am

The festivals HRH do at the holiday camp in Yarmouth are an absolute shit show but the weekenders in Sheffield are good fun.

"Win" tickets via one of their facebook comps so you only have to pay £10-£15 per ticket, book a b&b in Sheffield and come and go as you please all weekend. We only tend to watch a handful of band across the HRH Vikings weekend and spend the rest of the time over the road in the Mulberry or up the road at the Head of Steam as the booze in the Academy is shit. Works well.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 am

I like the headliners still, but that is, for me, the weakest undercard they have had.
Sunday only for me, if that.

There is either a money issue, or a band availability problem; or a straight up choice to go in a slightly different direction with booking imo. (Maybe they're just testing the water for a broadening of the scope though - it's lost me mind).
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:24 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:I like the headliners still, but that is, for me, the weakest undercard they have had.

I don't even like the headliners, Devin I've never understood the appeal, Behemoth I like but they play everywhere so a headline performance by them hardly makes me buy a ticket, and Priest I like but nothing more.

Following on from the distinctly meh headliners, we get:

Friday - naff thrash from Sacred Reich, the forgettable Dark Tranquility, knuckle dragging meathead crap from goold ole Phil, and the utterly shite Skindred. Let's go to the Sophie stage, yay there's some headliner I've never heard off, some dull post rock, and a couple of lame death metal bands. Well that was a poo day.

Saturday - Conjurer I remember seeing and they were dull so I'll stay in bed for them, Toxic Holocaust are just a poor man's Skeletonwitch so I'll have a beer instead, wow Sylosis are still a thing, but they're still dull so I won't bother with them, another beer methinks. Jinjer, haha what a load of wank, more beer. Vio-lence might see I suppose but hardly excited about, Bury Tomorrow sound dogshit, more beer. After all that beer instead of bands I'd probably be too wasted to see Paradise Lost and Behemoth. And why exactly are Winterfylleth in the tent and Conjurer on the main stage?

Sunday - Butcher Babies sound naff, and the decaying old Diamond Head are never any good live, Life Of Agony were shit 25 years ago and still will be now, Orange Goblin have always been dull, Black Dahlia I don't like at all.....ah I do love Gloryhammer though! Saxon I can take or leave, same with Priest. For some reason the fab Unleash The Archers are on the second stage, headlined by the supreme knuckle draggers that are Hatebreed. What a shit day.

This almost seems like a calculated effort on the festival's part to rid it of it's original power metal fanbase, and usher in the "new look" festival.

PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Postby PowerThrash » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:29 pm

[/quote]
HRH VIkings is looking great this year - seems they are booking ALL of the decent folk metal bands now :D
Tempted to go myself - that lineup is right up my street!

Also agree on seeing bands at their own shows is a better way of seeing them as none of the decent ones get booked for Bloodstock anymore :([/quote]

HRH Vikings looks really good this year, so I have booked tickets / hotel and going to spend a boozy weekend in Sheff instead of Bloodstock, it won't be the same as Beers in a field but with such a uninspiring lineup BOA will be missing from my calendar, BOA should be booking a few of the bands playing HRH Vikings as they have more or less forgotten about Folk Metal

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:02 pm

bloodfiend wrote:

Decent?

Diamond Head are dogshit? Orange Goblin? Then we have Gloryhammer saxon and Priest, thats a far better mainstage lineup then the last fucking decade (without checking :lol: )

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Postby dvl666 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:15 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:I like the headliners still, but that is, for me, the weakest undercard they have had.

I don't even like the headliners, Devin I've never understood the appeal, Behemoth I like but they play everywhere so a headline performance by them hardly makes me buy a ticket, and Priest I like but nothing more.

Following on from the distinctly meh headliners, we get:

Friday - naff thrash from Sacred Reich, the forgettable Dark Tranquility, knuckle dragging meathead crap from goold ole Phil, and the utterly shite Skindred. Let's go to the Sophie stage, yay there's some headliner I've never heard off, some dull post rock, and a couple of lame death metal bands. Well that was a poo day.

Saturday - Conjurer I remember seeing and they were dull so I'll stay in bed for them, Toxic Holocaust are just a poor man's Skeletonwitch so I'll have a beer instead, wow Sylosis are still a thing, but they're still dull so I won't bother with them, another beer methinks. Jinjer, haha what a load of wank, more beer. Vio-lence might see I suppose but hardly excited about, Bury Tomorrow sound dogshit, more beer. After all that beer instead of bands I'd probably be too wasted to see Paradise Lost and Behemoth. And why exactly are Winterfylleth in the tent and Conjurer on the main stage?

Sunday - Butcher Babies sound naff, and the decaying old Diamond Head are never any good live, Life Of Agony were shit 25 years ago and still will be now, Orange Goblin have always been dull, Black Dahlia I don't like at all.....ah I do love Gloryhammer though! Saxon I can take or leave, same with Priest. For some reason the fab Unleash The Archers are on the second stage, headlined by the supreme knuckle draggers that are Hatebreed. What a shit day.

This almost seems like a calculated effort on the festival's part to rid it of it's original power metal fanbase, and usher in the "new look" festival.

So why are you bothering if you hate the line up so much then?

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:01 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
There is either a money issue, or a band availability problem; or a straight up choice to go in a slightly different direction with booking imo. (Maybe they're just testing the water for a broadening of the scope though - it's lost me mind).

Its definitely not entirely by choice, they would have announced their bands were special guests if they intended them to be - I'm guessing they were expecting to be able to announce a bigger band but they pulled out so they got a replacement.

But there certainly is an element of choice. Why, when Mercyful Fate say they can't make it is your next step to book Bury Tomorrow or Skindred? They aren't in any way similar. It baffles the mind, especially when bands like Destruction are saying they'd love to play.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!