Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 pm

some_thing_wild wrote:If they're gonna continue with the more mainstream bands the they could do with adding another stage at some point and bring back some folk/power to try to get the best of both worlds

Considering the quality of the bands they are getting in the last few years I'm pretty sure they can't afford to expand like that. I get the feeling they are struggling a bit, over the last few years especially. Maybe that's what comes with alienating your core audience for the sake of chasing an overcrowded market.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:45 am

Bearded theory has 7 stages??! Bloody hell

Black no. 1
Lowly Peon

Postby Black no. 1 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:58 am

Baldy77 wrote:Bearded theory has 7 stages??! Bloody hell

Yeah and shite loads of additional entertainment. Including a dedicated children's zone for those with families,cinema etc.

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:56 am

fluffkitten wrote:
Cassius wrote:
Black no. 1 wrote:The Sophie headliners playing after the main stage headliners are usually on way too late in the day for most people, especially on a Sunday. Perhaps they could do what Sonisphere used to do and a few Euro fests where you have the Tent headliner on at the same time as the Main stage headliner and then a band on after for those who like to stay up. Either that or alternate the bands.

They used to have the Sophie headliner overlapping main stage but loads of people complained so they changed it.

I dont think they can really win on this 1

Tried it one year and gave up after that. Been wanting an alternative to the headliner since there is always at least one headliner I don't like for years.

I actually prefer the Sophie headliner playing after, considering it's often been the case where I like both the Main stage headliner and Sophie headliner.

I do agree something else should be playing when headliner is on though - even if its an unknown band to check out on New Blood or perhaps the Sophie special guest slot. This would give something to check out for those who dislike the main stage headliner whilst also keeping those who like them happy.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:55 pm

Seems I'm the odd one out on the announcement, I thought it was pretty good :lol:

Enjoy all the bands to varying degrees except Winterfylleth who I can never get into. Bury Tomorrow are alright though agree not really a band I expected for BOA. I like Hatebreed but yeah, it's getting a bit much now though I'll probably watch them.

Sylosis/Toxic Holocaust/Necrot/Exhumed are all great bookings for me and look forward to them.

Paradise Lost being bumped to Sub though is a cop out, really dislike the policy of big headliners if this is the effect it has on the rest of the bill.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 pm

I do love PL but they really aren’t big enough for that position on the bill. Something must have gone wrong for the bookers.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:48 pm

dvl666 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
dvl666 wrote:
So why are you bothering if you hate the line up so much then?

When did I say I was bothering?

I'm not bothering, I attended every Bloodstock up to 2017, but eventually my loyalty waned as the line ups got worse and worse, and after that I discovered the awesome Brutal Assault festival which is on the same weekend and I've attended every year since in place of Bloodstock.

However I'm on the forum, so I'm still fully entitles to give my opinions on the line up.

Wow that's a very in depth analysis of a line up you won't be watching, still my apologies I made a presumption you were going :D

As I've been extremely loyal the fest for a long time, and its pushed me to the absolute limits of endurance in terms of the line up until I finally snapped, I feel entitled to give my true thoughts. No I might not be going, but I've spent enough on Bloodstock tickets in the past to give an analysis that's a bit more critical then "it's not really my kinda line up".

When the line up is THIS shit, I think a proper rant is needed rather than just a brief distainful comment.

Dombag
Warrior of Metal

Postby Dombag » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:37 pm

I for one am happy about Toxic Holocaust (I myself could never get into Skeletonwitch.)
home of metal breakdown http://stbproduction.blogspot.co.uk/

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:18 am

bloodfiend wrote:
dvl666 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
When did I say I was bothering?

I'm not bothering, I attended every Bloodstock up to 2017, but eventually my loyalty waned as the line ups got worse and worse, and after that I discovered the awesome Brutal Assault festival which is on the same weekend and I've attended every year since in place of Bloodstock.

However I'm on the forum, so I'm still fully entitles to give my opinions on the line up.

Wow that's a very in depth analysis of a line up you won't be watching, still my apologies I made a presumption you were going :D

As I've been extremely loyal the fest for a long time, and its pushed me to the absolute limits of endurance in terms of the line up until I finally snapped, I feel entitled to give my true thoughts. No I might not be going, but I've spent enough on Bloodstock tickets in the past to give an analysis that's a bit more critical then "it's not really my kinda line up".

When the line up is THIS shit, I think a proper rant is needed rather than just a brief distainful comment.

I have to agree, it's the worst line up I've seen at Bloodstock. They are overlooking genres that have been part and parcel of bloodstock for years that make me want to go to Bloodstock rather than Download.
Bury tomorrow are also on the Slam Dunk bill which says it all to me, and if the trend of more core metal crap keeps up, I can see myself never going again.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:27 am

houston4044 wrote:Seems I'm the odd one out on the announcement, I thought it was pretty good :lol:

Enjoy all the bands to varying degrees except Winterfylleth who I can never get into. Bury Tomorrow are alright though agree not really a band I expected for BOA. I like Hatebreed but yeah, it's getting a bit much now though I'll probably watch them.

Sylosis/Toxic Holocaust/Necrot/Exhumed are all great bookings for me and look forward to them.

Paradise Lost being bumped to Sub though is a cop out, really dislike the policy of big headliners if this is the effect it has on the rest of the bill.

Yeah I don't think this was a bad announcement by any means. In fact I'm really happy with Exhumed, Necrot and Toxic Holocaust. Fair enough Hatebreed is very predictable. Bury Tomorrow I have no issue with; we had Tesseract in the same spot last year and there's bands out there that are much more "core" than BT. Not my thing but there's plenty more stuff on the other stages. Sylosis I see no issue with either considering they've been on hiatus and are pretty thrashy! Also, people complained about Winterfylleth playing in the daytime last time and now they're complaining that they're in the tent? :? You can't win. :lol:

I do see people's point about PL being bumped up to special guests. Quite disappointing, especially considering they did the same with Skindred on the quiet.

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:03 pm

https://www.kerrang.com/features/nergal ... 14rxlcdq2o
i think this confirms the orchestra rumour .... if so could that be where the budget has gone...if so not even mad. lucifer with some strings behind it will sound huge. and it may get me into the satanist stuff hearing it live like that

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:31 am

Jay1993 wrote: Also, people complained about Winterfylleth playing in the daytime last time and now they're complaining that they're in the tent? :? You can't win. :lol:

I do see people's point about PL being bumped up to special guests. Quite disappointing, especially considering they did the same with Skindred on the quiet.

Think the problem with Winterfylleth is that they play regularly and will probably take a prominent spot instead of someone fresher.

My biggest problem with the line up is placements really. So many bands appear to have been pushed up for a reason other than budgetary that I can see. I don't like Gloryhammer but I'll find something to do while they're on (sobering up probably :lol: ) but can't see what they've done since 2016 to warrant such a jump up the line up. Add the subs, Diamond Head and Bloodywood to that list and it just looks like a money saving exercise. If you put them in a more suited slot then the line up would hold a lot more promise.

henryburch4 wrote:https://www.kerrang.com/features/nergal-ive-realised-that-im-relatively-happy-but-i-am-also-pretty-lonely/?fbclid=IwAR2XRZZ62RvISzLPZmehIDw4urIcXyGhMxLHatNH7MZoPO29P14rxlcdq2o
i think this confirms the orchestra rumour .... if so could that be where the budget has gone...if so not even mad. lucifer with some strings behind it will sound huge. and it may get me into the satanist stuff hearing it live like that

Could be interesting but man, if we've got Skindred subbing so Nergal can have a few harps on stage I'll be annoyed :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:40 am

houston4044 wrote:Think the problem with Winterfylleth is that they play regularly and will probably take a prominent spot instead of someone fresher.

My biggest problem with the line up is placements really. So many bands appear to have been pushed up for a reason other than budgetary that I can see. I don't like Gloryhammer but I'll find something to do while they're on (sobering up probably :lol: ) but can't see what they've done since 2016 to warrant such a jump up the line up. Add the subs, Diamond Head and Bloodywood to that list and it just looks like a money saving exercise. If you put them in a more suited slot then the line up would hold a lot more promise.

tbf Gloryhammer were probably too low down in 2016. In terms of power metal they're one of the bigger draws out there, easily sound out a good sized venue in London before Xmas, and there last album got to no.6 in Germany, plus they'd be very popular with the BOA crowd.

My problem is the SG positions, Skindred played in 3rd place in 2017, Paradise Lost in 3rd in 2016 and Saxon in 3rd in 2014, these bands's profile hasn't risen since then and the festival has got bigger, so pushing them all up to the SG slots clearly smacks of cost saving. Likewise in 2018 when you had Cannibal Corpse and At The Gates in the SG slots when they'd played lower in previous years, and last year when Dimmu were scheduled for the SG slot, despite the fact they're clearly nowhere near big enough to justify that place in the UK anymore.

Also the Sophie headliners seem a lot less high profile than before, ok much as I hate them, Hatebreed are big enough, but the other 3 certainly aren't, if you consider the headliners the Sophie stage had in 17, 18 and 19.

And to be frank, Vio-lence are ridiculously high up the bill too, when you consider there are band with little to no fanbase here who haven't released an album for 27 years.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:59 pm

Whether you like them or not, Skindred could have easily sub-headlined last time with the size of the crowd and the response they got. Very very busy. I was actually surprised when it looked like they were playing 3rd top again.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:20 pm

i0th wrote:Similarly Saxon also pulled a massive crowd in '14 and given their history with the festival they work great as a SG this year.

Biff wasn't happy about having Amon Amarth above Saxon in '14. :)
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee: