Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:35 pm

We don't usually go on the Thursday night unless the line-up is great and whilst I would happily watch the Night Flight Orchestra, the rest of that garbage isn't worth forking out an extra night at the hotel for.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:40 pm

I will be in the Sophie tent for the Crawling and Raised by Owls.

Might check out Necrogobilikon depending on how pissed I am by that point!
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Deadthrone1994
Lowly Peon

Postby Deadthrone1994 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm

bloodfiend wrote:ha, more shite!

And at the same time, Brutal Assault announce Mercyful Fate!!!

And with that I bought myself a nice fat ticket to Brutal Assault, fuck Bloodstock once again this year.

Ooh you're hard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:44 pm

Other than Mercyful Fate there's nothing on that Brutal Assault line-up that appeals much to me that isn't already at Bloodstock (Devin, Sacred Reich). There's a lot of death and 'core which can all pretty much get in the bin and you've still got to avoid that cunt from Pantera.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:09 pm

Night Flight Orchestra, Nekrogoblikon and Raised By Owls makes for a great Thursday for me :D

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:30 pm

devilman wrote:I don't get all the negativity on here. Hoblin Goblin IPA is still on the line up and there will be music too! Might be back at the camp for Black Dahlia Murder but the rest are ok.

Yes. But you can get it in 'Spoons for £2.30 and even cheaper if you go to a cheap supermarket. Rather than the £4 or so for beer that is virtually undrinkable after the first day.

Otherwise you are paying £150 for a ticket, plus travel costs, food costs, etc. If you are just going for "beer and friends whilst camping" then you can go to Wales for a fraction of the price.

So I'm paying a few hundred pounds for a piss poor line up populated by bands that even Download don't seem to want. The days of going to Bloodstock because it's the only place putting on bands has long gone. There are dozens of small festivals putting on better line ups than the SL and NB stages. For a fraction of the price.

Then you've got HRH, they could easily book at least two of the Special Guests for HRH. Skindred have already played their events and Paradise Lost aren't exactly huge. Apart from Judas Priest, Saxon, Behemoth and DT all the rest of the line up are very much HRH size.

Bloodstock has sleepwalked into this situation. But like Jose Mourinho they aren't special anymore and it's about time they realised it.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:56 pm

That announcement means Thursday is probably the best day for me right now. Nightflight, Nekrogoblikon, Raised by Owls and The Crawling are all good, although I've seen Nekrogoblikon last week and watching Raised by Owls in two weeks. They'll have to do a lot better to tempt me.

Interesting the way they are trying to sell this, as an "exclusive to weekend ticket holders" with its own poster and everything. They've never done that before. I get the feeling ticket sales are way down on what they expect, which really wouldn't shock me with this line up. Like Gandalf said, Bloodstock isn't special any more, and with people waiting to see the Knotfest lineup and Arctangent announcing a bunch of bands that are probably more appealing to the Bloodstock crowd than half this lineup, its probably not going to change any time soon.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Deadthrone1994 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:ha, more shite!

And at the same time, Brutal Assault announce Mercyful Fate!!!

And with that I bought myself a nice fat ticket to Brutal Assault, fuck Bloodstock once again this year.

Ooh you're hard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As first posts go, that was pretty random.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Raised by Owls are pretty perfect as a fun Thursday night party band and Anakim are on my Yes list from last year but I cant remember what they actually sound like so will likely check them out.

Rest aint my thing but tbh im happy with 2 bands on a Thursday as its more party night than bands night for me

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 am

Skippy wrote:Interesting the way they are trying to sell this, as an "exclusive to weekend ticket holders" with its own poster and everything. They've never done that before. I get the feeling ticket sales are way down on what they expect, which really wouldn't shock me with this line up. Like Gandalf said, Bloodstock isn't special any more, and with people waiting to see the Knotfest lineup and Arctangent announcing a bunch of bands that are probably more appealing to the Bloodstock crowd than half this lineup, its probably not going to change any time soon.

I've given up this year, and this announcement doesn't help one bit - turns out that booking what you listen to in the gym doesn't make for a good festival :lol:

The problem they'll have is that there's no shortage of third-rate thrash & death metal, brocore, and joke bands touring and playing everywhere regularly. None of it is special, so why buy a weekend ticket ?
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:37 am

Skippy wrote: Like Gandalf said, Bloodstock isn't special any more, and with people waiting to see the Knotfest lineup and Arctangent announcing a bunch of bands that are probably more appealing to the Bloodstock crowd than half this lineup, its probably not going to change any time soon.

I tried to say this above regarding Brutal Assault being massively more appealing and on the same weekend, but I got a brand new poster accusing me of being "hard".

If you factor in the ticket for Brutal Assault costs far less and the drinks are far cheaper, then the whole festival expense even with flights generally costs me less than Bloodstock.

And someone above said there wasn't that much that appeals to them on the Brutal Assault line up....really? Mercyful Fate, Alcest, Katatonia, Evoken, Cradle Of Filth, Asphyx, Arcuturus, Havok, Mayhem, Myrkur, Mysticum, Obituary, Suffocation, Paradise Lost, Razor, Sigh, Venom, Vader....it's completely wipes the fall with Bloodstock. Plus as a festival it's a million times the experience Bloodstock is.

I hope numbers are down at BOA, will send a clear message to the organisers.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:39 pm

bloodfiend wrote:If you factor in the ticket for Brutal Assault costs far less and the drinks are far cheaper, then the whole festival expense even with flights generally costs me less than Bloodstock.

And someone above said there wasn't that much that appeals to them on the Brutal Assault line up....really? Mercyful Fate, Alcest, Katatonia, Evoken, Cradle Of Filth, Asphyx, Arcuturus, Havok, Mayhem, Myrkur, Mysticum, Obituary, Suffocation, Paradise Lost, Razor, Sigh, Venom, Vader....it's completely wipes the fall with Bloodstock. Plus as a festival it's a million times the experience Bloodstock is.

Agreed on the lineup for Brutal Assault, it's far better for my tastes and I'm tossing up between this and ArcTangent. I'm afraid that Bloodstock has lost me this year

You also missed a couple of things in your post

Not only is Brutal Assault cheaper, it's just as friendly, in a super country and the beer is always much better kept than at Bloodstock.

Oh and Gandalf is quite right with the number of small festivals popping up. There a so many good niche festivals - some day ones and some weekend which means Bloodstock really needs to keep their eye on the ball
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:03 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
If you factor in the ticket for Brutal Assault costs far less and the drinks are far cheaper, then the whole festival expense even with flights generally costs me less than Bloodstock.

Very off topic, but how is it so much cheaper? I've been looking to do a European festival for the first time (was looking at Metaldays or Grasspop more than Brutal Assault but that lineup is still better), but it costs so much more - Metaldays was around £500 with tickets and flights, which I just can't justify compared to the £140 and the cost of petrol for Bloodstock.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:07 pm

Czech's Mate wrote:
You also missed a couple of things in your post

Not only is Brutal Assault cheaper, it's just as friendly, in a super country and the beer is always much better kept than at Bloodstock.

Oh and Gandalf is quite right with the number of small festivals popping up. There a so many good niche festivals - some day ones and some weekend which means Bloodstock really needs to keep their eye on the ball

As I was just judging Bloodstock by the line up, I was doing the same for BA.

tbh I could eulogise about Brutal Assault for pages - the amazing location in the fort, mega cheap and quality booze, the awesome selection of veggie and non veggie food, the horror cinema, the lovely chill out zone, the 80s arcade game zone, the friendly atmosphere, the killer line up.....I could go on.

After experiencing that, Bloodstock has been absolutely blown away, the ONLY way I would consider giving Brutal Assault a miss and going back to BOA is if I was very low on funds, wasn't able to take the time off, and if Bloodstock had a great line up. And considering Bloodstock is serving up 3 days of horseshit this year, Brutal Assault is a no brainer.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:13 pm

Skippy wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:

Very off topic, but how is it so much cheaper? I've been looking to do a European festival for the first time (was looking at Metaldays or Grasspop more than Brutal Assault but that lineup is still better), but it costs so much more - Metaldays was around £500 with tickets and flights, which I just can't justify compared to the £140 and the cost of petrol for Bloodstock.

The Brutal Assault ticket was about £85 for the fest, so far cheaper than BOA.

But mainly it's cheaper cos the beer/food is much cheaper, so while they'll be the cost of the flights to add on, the beer is about £1.50 a pint and a double rum and coke was about £2, so if you drink a lot at fests (as I do) it works out cheaper.

BA may work out slightly more expensive, but it depends what you're looking for in a festival, if you want to keep the costs down go to Bloodstock, but Brutal Assault is an awesome festival experience that blows BOA away, so it's about more than just cost for me.