Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
Black no. 1
Lowly Peon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Black no. 1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:21 pm

slayerslays wrote:The capacity of Download is 110,000 this year and they are charging £243 for 3 days camping +£5.50 postage. Bloodstock maximum attendance has been 18,000. I went to Sonsiphere when it was 60,000 people - it reminded me of some post-apocalyptic refugee camp. You have to be off your face all the time to 'enjoy' those big festivals with all kinds of music. BOA is just right- and with careful planning I manage to get to see bands I like all day every day....

Fairly sure you get 5 days of camping at Download.

I enjoyed the Sonisphere experience when I went, didn't think the campsites were bad at all.

As for an Apocalyptic refugee camp, nothing will erase the memory of a woman at BOA pulling down her pants, lifting her leg up over the mens urinal, only to piss all over herself.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:01 pm

you can get 5 nights, for £250 but the bands proper don't start for 2 days

Black no. 1
Lowly Peon

Postby Black no. 1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm

slayerslays wrote:you can get 5 nights, for £250 but the bands proper don't start for 2 days

Fairly certain they have bands on the Thursday, could be wrong, but I haven't been for a while, but they also have shite loads of entertainment on the pre-days. Then when it kicks off properly, they have about 6 or 7 stages.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:29 pm

The campsite I was in at Sonisphere was great.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:29 pm

btw for those who have been talking about it on the Thursday Q&A they mentioned they tried to get Mercyful Fate and couldnt but would be trying to book them for a future Bloodstock

Didnt give a reason for why they couldnt but guessing a lot of the time they cant discuss that stuff

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:47 pm

Chances of an announcement this week? If it's back to the usual two week cycle

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:13 pm

Cassius wrote:btw for those who have been talking about it on the Thursday Q&A they mentioned they tried to get Mercyful Fate and couldnt but would be trying to book them for a future Bloodstock

Didnt give a reason for why they couldnt but guessing a lot of the time they cant discuss that stuff

Whatever. I don't even know if I believe that. And even that is true, plenty of other festivals have so if Bloodstock can't, then that just shows how far they've fallen

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:19 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
Cassius wrote:btw for those who have been talking about it on the Thursday Q&A they mentioned they tried to get Mercyful Fate and couldnt but would be trying to book them for a future Bloodstock

Whatever. I don't even know if I believe that. And even that is true, plenty of other festivals have so if Bloodstock can't, then that just shows how far they've fallen

It doesn't necessarily. It may just not be financially viable for them to come to the UK. I mean its not like Bloodstock haven't booked them but Damnation, Incineration or a HRH show have instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that they tried particularly hard to get them. Probably a few questions, nevermind Skindred are cheaper we'll have them instead.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 am

Skippy wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

It doesn't necessarily. It may just not be financially viable for them to come to the UK. I mean its not like Bloodstock haven't booked them but Damnation, Incineration or a HRH show have instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that they tried particularly hard to get them. Probably a few questions, nevermind Skindred are cheaper we'll have them instead.

Exactly. The passion has gone. It's all about cutting costs and maximising revenue now to the detriment of actually making the festival stand out or giving it any identity. They've gotten lazy and it's sad to see. Especially with all the hyperbole about "20th Anniversary celebrations" and all that. Everything they put out via their promotional channels is so disingenuous and fake nowadays.

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:22 am

houston4044 wrote:
robin8585 wrote:I couldn't disagree more about the Sophie stage, it's what's kept me coming the last few years. I can see what their idea of what the bigger bands they want to book are by looking at the main stage, and I'd rather they just kept on doing what they're doing on the Sophie. Granted it's not looking all that impressive right now, but that's not uncommon at this stage of the year, it's always the late announcements that make it.

What is it about the Sophie stage you like? Not knocking you, it's just you don't mention why.

It's not very deep I'm afraid. Since 2015 there have been more bands on that stage that I want to see than the main stage, the band I've been most excited about has been there, and all of the new discoveries I make have been there (with the notable exception of Ghost Bath).

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:48 am

robin8585 wrote:
It's not very deep I'm afraid. Since 2015 there have been more bands on that stage that I want to see than the main stage, the band I've been most excited about has been there, and all of the new discoveries I make have been there (with the notable exception of Ghost Bath).

Different strokes and all that :yes: Always find a few gems across the weekend myself, Necrot and Green Lung are a good start this year.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:12 pm

I usually find decent bands on the Sophie, they usually have a few bands I've never heard of that turn out to be amazing. The question is, is that enough? I'm not paying my ticket price to watch Wheel or Helheim, decent as they both were, and I'd much rather watch a band I'd heard of as an alternative to the dross on the main stage.

The fact that I only remember watching those two on the Sophie stage says something as well. Sure, I could have watched Guardians of Time or 3 Headed Snake (I vaguely remember them both clashing with someone), but most of the rest of that lineup seems like local pub bands, bands that I either have or could have seen multiple times throughout the year. Hardly special. The year before was far better - for me at least the Sophie stage seems to have massively regressed in recent years. I'm hoping this year pulls it out the bag again, Unleash the Archers are the sort of band I'd want to see on the stage, but the rest is the usual filler tosh, even if I like some of the bands.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:17 pm

announcement tomorrow ( post from simon on fb)
have discovered so many good bands on the sophie over the years , normally from checking them out before but had a few gems that i have stumbled across.
more slam on the sophie, ingested is one of the best sets i have seen on the stage.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:55 pm

henryburch4 wrote:announcement tomorrow ( post from simon on fb)

I reckon Delain will be there to fill up some of the space on Friday.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:18 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
henryburch4 wrote:announcement tomorrow ( post from simon on fb)

I reckon Delain will be there to fill up some of the space on Friday.

Glad I've been to see them in their packed-out tour venues. Seeing them in a half empty arena / on the Sophie with the joke bands wouldn't be quite the same.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019