Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Re: Next Announcement

Postby henryburch4 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:16 am

jwh20 wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote: They might as well just rename the Sophie Stage "New Blood Stage 2" at this rate.

I've been saying this for years.

ironicly i know more bands on the sophie this year and last year than i have all other years. thies year especally, to me it seem they are getting more well known bands. black tounge are pretty big in the slam/beatdown scene. think crowbar but playing in drop a and with death growls

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:52 am

I had heard of 14 out of 25 on the Sophie before they were announced.
I had heard of 21 out of 25 on the main stage before they were announced

On the mainstage I listen to:
Devin Townsend
Behemoth*
Paradise Lost*
Judas Priest
Diamond Head
*I have no interest in the material Behemoth play these days, or their boring live show. I don't like anything PL have released for 29 years and have no interest in seeing them.

On the Sophie I listen to:
Soen
Exhumed
Necrot
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Green Lung

Sophie has a better "hit rate" from the bands I'd heard of I guess, but still not much better overall.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Don't know most of these but I do like Blasphemer.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Uh, who? Once again an announcement filled with the sound of the barrel being scraped. Who are Savage Master, and why are they on the mainstage - they sound like they'd struggle to get New Blood.

I've heard of Pist, Black Tongue and Blasphemer before. Like none of them. Hadn't heard of Liberty Lies or Sharks in Your Mouth before but they both sound pretty decent. Still though, why am I going to this festival? Awful lineup, and Arctangent knocked it out of the park for me today, I'm definitely favouring that.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:06 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I don't know why I even bother checking these announcements any more - 6 more bands, 6 more that most folk won't have even heard of. They might as well just rename the Sophie Stage "New Blood Stage 2" at this rate.

What a bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping lineup this has turned out to be.

Meanwhile, my lineup of stuff I'm doing this year instead is starting to look like a decent BoA lineup from years past :lol:

Nightwish
Epica
Helloween
Visions of Atlantis
WASP
Saxon
HRH Vikings (Ensiferum, Saor, Burning Witches, Borknagar)
Winterfylleth

We've already ticked off Delain & Rhapsody this year too.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:00 pm

Savage Master are decent. I've you like bands like Warlock, Dio and 1980s US Power/Speed Metal they will be right up your street.

Must admit I haven't heard of the others apart from Pist and Blasphemer.

And looking at the descriptions I know why, "Modern hard rock crew", what does that even mean? It could be anything...
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I don't know why I even bother checking these announcements any more - 6 more bands, 6 more that most folk won't have even heard of. They might as well just rename the Sophie Stage "New Blood Stage 2" at this rate.

In recent years I would agree with you but I have to say the disparity betwenn the RJD and the Sophie stage in regards to well known bands this year has dramatically decreased. Granted it is very Death Metal heavy but the following bands I feel most people active in the scene would know;

Soen
Exhumed
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Hatebreed
Unleash the Archers

Even bands like Bossk, Necrot, Memoriam, Blasphemer and Black Tongue have a lot more visibility in the scene than previous middle booking Sophie bands.

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:57 am

florencethemachine wrote:

In recent years I would agree with you but I have to say the disparity betwenn the RJD and the Sophie stage in regards to well known bands this year has dramatically decreased. Granted it is very Death Metal heavy but the following bands I feel most people active in the scene would know;

Soen
Exhumed
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Hatebreed
Unleash the Archers

Even bands like Bossk, Necrot, Memoriam, Blasphemer and Black Tongue have a lot more visibility in the scene than previous middle booking Sophie bands.

this ! i mean its not the biggest indicator but black tongue have over 60,000 monthly listens on spotify ...acid reign only have 3000.

forgot how stupid heavy black tongue are so i mean they might flatline the stage before hatebreed can play on it that cheers you up :lol: :lol:

sunday isnt looking nice at all can see lots of clashes happening

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am

The Sophie stage has more recognised bands on it than normal, but there just not my kinda thing.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Pist is a great booking, the latest album is fantastic, but they play in my leg of the woods so often I can't really get that excited (I've seen them twice already this year, and am due to to again next month). Not sure where I've seen Blasphemer before, but they're in my head as someone I've previously enjoyed.

Not heard of any of the others.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:11 pm

robin8585 wrote:Not sure where I've seen Blasphemer before, but they're in my head as someone I've previously enjoyed.

You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 am

Ghost wrote:You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:

Is that band Daarth still around? I always thought they should do a tour with Vader.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:00 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Ghost wrote:You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:

Is that band Daarth still around? I always thought they should do a tour with Vader.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 pm

After giving the bands I didn't know a listen, it was an alright announcement but doesn't really add much excitement for me. Had slightly hoped that the last main stage slot on Saturday was going to be between PL and BT but should of gathered it wasn't. Given the bands on the Saturday and Sunday I won't hold my breath for the last 2 main stage slots Friday.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal. Thankfully they're not overly cheesy so have got me interested - nice pick for an opening slot.

Black Tongue sound interesting, definitely need to check out a bit more of their stuff. Pist are a maybe depending on clashes. Blasphemer I need to check out. The other two are not for me.