Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

The top 3-5 bands or so listed on the Sophie on each day are all bands I'd have expected a fairly regular gig goer to have at least heard of / seen on touring posters etc. Granted, this may be different for different part of the country you're in for some of them (Pist, for example, I'd expected northerners more likely to know, as well as previous Bloodstockers, seeing as they've played before).

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:41 pm

The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

that works for me, i mean have been getting into gloryhammer alot more recently but the top three bands at the festival for me are green lung , dahlia and saxon and was worrying that green lung would clash with one of them .. i mean still might knowing my luck :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:59 am

Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal. Thankfully they're not overly cheesy so have got me interested - nice pick for an opening slot

They're alright and will probably watch them, but they don't excite me that much.

Haldamir319 wrote:The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

I'm just hoping they move Necrot/Exhumed so they don't clash with Sacred Reich/Dark Tranquility :|

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal.

Yep. They're absolutely the sort of band that should be being booked. It's just that they're not very good. Musically they're OK, but the vocals are really weak. NWOTHM is on the rise at the moment, and on paper they're a good fit. But others are far, far better. Quite how the likes of Eliminator and Seven Sisters have been overlooked in favour of this is a mystery.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Tet wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal.

Yep. They're absolutely the sort of band that should be being booked. It's just that they're not very good. Musically they're OK, but the vocals are really weak. NWOTHM is on the rise at the moment, and on paper they're a good fit. But others are far, far better. Quite how the likes of Eliminator and Seven Sisters have been overlooked in favour of this is a mystery.

Also, I think the lack of positivity has a lot to do with most people not knowing who they are. That's not to say that we all can't discover and like new bands, but it's hardly gonna create much of a buzz if they're largely unknown to most people.

Plus, I think fans of any sub-genre going to Bloodstock want bands of name value mixed in with some unknowns. When the power/trad metal contingent don't have anything to shout about on the Friday and the Saturday at all, some band that's been drudged up from nowhere to play for 30mins at 11am for beer-money and a taxi back to the airport is hardly gonna create much excitement.

HanowarTrueMetal
Lowly Peon

Postby HanowarTrueMetal » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:14 am

i0th wrote:New Wave of Traditional Heavy Metal?

That's correct.

Last year was a great year for NWOTHM. To stretch the definition a bit, loads of bands released a great album in 2019:

Haunt, Riot City, Traveler, Vultures Vengeance, Smoulder, Chevalier, Mirror, Eliminator, Vulture, Tanith, Amulet, Angel Witch, Dream Troll, Enforcer, Gatekeeper, Ruler, to name a few.

And even beyond that you've got bands like Striker, Visigoth, Neuronspoiler, Seven Sisters, Skyryder, Lethal Night, Toledo Steel, Blizzen, etc. who have released amazing stuff in the past few years.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Tet wrote:

Also, I think the lack of positivity has a lot to do with most people not knowing who they are. That's not to say that we all can't discover and like new bands, but it's hardly gonna create much of a buzz if they're largely unknown to most people.

Plus, I think fans of any sub-genre going to Bloodstock want bands of name value mixed in with some unknowns. When the power/trad metal contingent don't have anything to shout about on the Friday and the Saturday at all, some band that's been drudged up from nowhere to play for 30mins at 11am for beer-money and a taxi back to the airport is hardly gonna create much excitement.

Before I stick the boot in, i'll add at this point that not having heard of a band hasn't stopped me discovering some corkers over the years and I'll almost certainly be watching Savage Master, but I think the reason their announcement has had a less than rapturous reception is that they just aren't very good. Its not as if they've released one ropey album as they couldn't afford time in a good studio, then gradually improved; all 3 albums sound bloody awful.

The vocals are jarring, the drums sound like a child bashing biscuit tins and the lyrics appear to have originated from some kind of metal-cliche-generation-bot. I've seen better bands get knocked out in the first round of Metal to The Masses heats, but in their favour they can't possibly stink as badly as King 810!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:35 am

Just listened to the main Savage Master track on YouTube, and it bloody atrocious.

Sounds like they're desperately trying to have a Doro style thing going on, but the trouble is they just sound like a pub band with an appalling bad singer. Why did Bloodstock pick this tripe?

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:53 am

bloodfiend wrote:Just listened to the main Savage Master track on YouTube, and it bloody atrocious.

Sounds like they're desperately trying to have a Doro style thing going on, but the trouble is they just sound like a pub band with an appalling bad singer. Why did Bloodstock pick this tripe?

Because they've got no money left after paying Judas Priest. Seriously, if Priest are gonna eat up this much of the budget to the point that pub-shite like this gets on the main stage because they'll play for a couple of beers and a taxi then they really need to stop booking such massive headliners.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:47 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:Just listened to the main Savage Master track on YouTube, and it bloody atrocious.

Because they've got no money left after paying Judas Priest. Seriously, if Priest are gonna eat up this much of the budget to the point that pub-shite like this gets on the main stage because they'll play for a couple of beers and a taxi then they really need to stop booking such massive headliners.

It's rather off that they've got Unleash The Archers on the second stage when they'd go down a storm on the main stage, and this dross that no one cares about on the main stage!

But yeah the whole line up seems downgraded as a result of booking Judas Preist:
- the other 2 bands who last played as special guests now bumped up to headliners
- all the bands in the special guest slot last played 3rd down.
- bands in the 3rd place slot who don't justify the position
- a band like Vio-lence 4th down from top, this is the slot the likes of Exodus have previously played in, how the hell do Vio-lence justify it?
- a duff band like Sylosis who have been on an endless hiatus suddenly in a decent slot on the main stage
- Bloodywood, who no one has heard of, headlining the second stage.

I could go on...

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:29 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

It's rather off that they've got Unleash The Archers on the second stage when they'd go down a storm on the main stage, and this dross that no one cares about on the main stage!

But yeah the whole line up seems downgraded as a result of booking Judas Preist:
- the other 2 bands who last played as special guests now bumped up to headliners
- all the bands in the special guest slot last played 3rd down.
- bands in the 3rd place slot who don't justify the position
- a band like Vio-lence 4th down from top, this is the slot the likes of Exodus have previously played in, how the hell do Vio-lence justify it?
- a duff band like Sylosis who have been on an endless hiatus suddenly in a decent slot on the main stage
- Bloodywood, who no one has heard of, headlining the second stage.

I could go on...

I don't get Unleash The Archers billing either. Below the headliners there's very little on mainstage that's been more requested over the past 2 or 3 years, so as they aren't headlining the Sophie Stage, why are they in the tent? Even if the only day they are available is Sunday, stick Hatebreed on main, drag one of the lower bands onto the Sophie and let UTA wrap up the festival after Priest

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:15 pm

Yes, UTA getting put low down on the Second stage is utterly baffling.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:24 pm

I think Unleash the Archers are about the right kind of band for the sophie stage - pretty big name in certain circles but relatively unknown outside of it. Trouble is the rest of the lineup looks pretty poor in comparison and it means they could probably play halfway up the main instead and noone would bat an eyelid. I'd rather see a band like UTA on the second anyway, its usually better sound.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:45 pm

Skippy wrote:I think Unleash the Archers are about the right kind of band for the sophie stage - pretty big name in certain circles but relatively unknown outside of it.

That kind of logic could be applied to lots of reasonably sized metal bands though.

The simple fact is that it's mental that popular bands like Unleash The Archers and Winterfylleth are mid Sophie stage, and stuff like Savage Master, Svalbard and Conjurer is finding its way onto the main stage.