Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Re: Next Announcement

Postby JPMC » Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:53 am

Powerslave wrote:just to throw some numbers out there, a quick Google suggests there are 55 million adults in the UK. It's just shy of 29 weeks to Bloodstock, which means that we would need to vaccinate around 1.9 million people per week to have given everyone at least one dose by then. we're currently well over that figure.
so assuming that a) we can maintain the current numbers and b) nothing unforseen happens regarding the effectiveness of the vaccine, i really don't think it's unrealistic to think it could happen.

Just to come back from that, and likely to be called the speaker of doom, the first vaccination group is largely people in care homes. I would potentially argue that these people are relatively easy to physically vaccinate. If you're asking a bunch of people to take time off work to come and get vaccinated, that's one blocker that could prevent an easy rollout. That is, I can see the vaccination rate gradually lessen over time as people become physically harder to reach. That is, right now all you need is a couple of people rocking up to an old folks home in a rented transit van full of the good stuff, crack on with the day and woohoo you're done before nap time. Setting that same shizz up in a city centre and trying to get people to turn out when battling against a working day or even covid-infested public transport... well... personally I think things will just get a touch more difficult.

The second thing is that the vaccine reduces the chance of you getting sick. However, it is totally unknown if it stops the spread of Covid 19 and questions are raised if the vaccine is effective against the South African strain - some reports say yes, others say no or not enough evidence etc. So really, it's still a wait and see game.

Either way, the guy above me is right. It's really going to be a case of wait until the end of May and see if Bloodstock makes a decision and then how ticket holders will respond in relation to that announcement. I personally think that the lack of band announcements is a bit of a teller that Bloodstock is at least playing it safe or already considering 2021 a miss but keeping things alive just in case. And rightly so, don't want to be paying band deposits for a festival that's currently 50/50.

Because you have to remember on top of that we have Brexit and (without getting political), currently a lot of barriers for touring musicians to come and play from the EU in terms of visas, carnets, etc. So there is all that on top to wade through and guarantee someone's costs will go up as a result of it.

On the whole, the odds are stacked against Bloodstock IMO and even if it's a go, we really don't know what the world will look like in June or July, the weeks preceding Bloodstock. Of course I hope it happens, but I also hope it happens in a scenario where we can all be safe. And not pseudo-safe, IMO socially distanced rope lines for the bar will get royally jousted by the Friday!

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:47 am

Just one note: I'm pretty sure getting time off work to get vaccinated will not be a problem for anybody. Any company that doesn't allow their employees to do this will not only get publicly shamed but probably have to deal with legal ramifications because I'm sure it will be made illegal to deny people this.

As for Bloodstock, I'll continue to be excited whether it happens this year or next. One thing I remember about the ones I've been to was how sick people get in general from all that partying outside in the cold/hot wet/dry weather so it's understandable if it gets delayed again, it would be in the interest of our wellbeing. But like anybody, of course none of us want it to be delayed. I'm still going to hold out some hope that it might still happen. Who knows, maybe this virus does actually go away on time.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:45 am

Whilst I think Bloodstock has the best chance of any UK summer festival, I do think its less than a 50/50 chance it goes ahead.

It may be possible to vaccinate everyone with their first shot by then - that gives something like 50-60% protection (better than the winter flu jab does, and its a good %, but its far from blanket coverage). Keep in mind those ages ranges more likely to attend a festival in general will be towards the back of the vaccination line.

On top of that, its been reported for a while now that the vaccine doesn't stop you from being a carrier and being able to pass it on. The way it works is that it essentially prevents it from getting ahold in your body buy shutting down the spike protein it uses for access. The bug will still be there, it just can't do you personally harm if it can't get in.

I struggle to see the Govt eliminating social distancing before - at the very least - all of the first waves of vaccines are given out.

Now... could BOA hedge its bets and put things in motion for August? Sure. But it would be risking any of the above to go wrong, plus any issues with Brexit/visas coming up. Also, best case scenario and we all get sorted ahead of time, that's not to say that countries that international artists are from are going to be in the same boat. It's quite feasible that we may have the two-week quarantine processed in place, which would effectively stop bands from those countries coming in as its unlikely they can justify (or want) a two-week isolation period just to play the fest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping and crossin my fingers that everything clears up in time. I just suspect that the timescales aren't quite in our favour. I do think 2022 will be pretty much fine though. Everyone should have had vaccine #2, giving 90+% protection.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:55 am

Haldamir319 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping and crossin my fingers that everything clears up in time. I just suspect that the timescales aren't quite in our favour. I do think 2022 will be pretty much fine though. Everyone should have had vaccine #2, giving 90+% protection.

Unless it turns out you do need annual vaccinations and eveyone's has just ran out again :lol:

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:18 pm

Personally I think Bloodstock should start looking into the possibility of a reduced-capacity, one-day (or at least, no camping) event on the same grounds, with social distancing enforcement an option if needed. Probably only British bands, perhaps only one stage, and certainly limited traders or other entertainment (no strongmen please). You could make a line up like Saxon/Skindred/Paradise Lost/Bury Tomorrow/Orange Goblin/Diamond Head/Sylosis/Svalbard/Conjurer (others as well? I don't know enough about bands like Acid Reign, Unto Others or Savage Master, or whether Gloryhammer would be able to get the singer over. I've excluded Priest because of size reasons, but you can always bring Winterfylleth or Memorium from the second stage).

A lineup like that would be a bit more achievable and safer. Plus, you can bring back the big hitters for 2022 (Priest, Devin, Fate) while being able to add some fresh blood to it. I've heard talk about whether festivals will get away with selling the same lineup three years in a row should 2021 get cancelled. This would help with that.

Of course, something like this may not be cost effective for Bloodstock. I assume it would help bring in a bit of revenue but it might cost more to host an event like this than its worth. Plus, it might not be safe by then to do even that. But it seems like a Bloodstock like this would be the most realistic option for this year.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:36 pm

That's not a bad idea, a one day fest. And with deaths over 100,000 and no possibility of everyone being vaccinated by august it seems like a good idea. Probably not if you aren't localish.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:20 am

And no good for us coming from overseas so I hope that if they did do something for local folk that they still let the rest of us carry over our ticket to the next year.

I'm eagerly waiting for my next Bloodstock but, especially since I've got my first VIP ticket, I want to do it right. And I want that 5 day event I've been promised.

I want it this year but I'll wait another year if I have to.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 am

I'm sure if they did some sort of 1 day one-off event it wouldn't be a replacement of '20/'21 tickets which would roll over to next year (or be refunded).

I think we need the Bloodstock Xmas Party back.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:12 am

i0th2 wrote:
I think we need the Bloodstock Xmas Party back.

Now that's a good idea and by then hopefully it might be possible to hold gigs
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:19 pm

Gloomy but I think it will be bloodstock 2022 .

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:04 am

Some great stories from the latest Damnation vs Vicky podcast.

Apparently there was a BOA band a few years back... Vicky booked them for an exclusive UK performance. Band came back and wanted to break exclusivity because they had an offer from another fest. Vicky, frustrated, said only if they halved their fee in return for losing exclusivity. Band turned it down and just played BOA.

At BOA, lead singer goes on stage and says "Hello (insert name of other festival)! .... ooops". At which point Vicky went straight to their dressing room, emptied it of their entire rider and all creature comforts (including the light bulb!) and left them just half a bottle of water.

They obviously didn't name the band or other fest, though I was trying to wrack my brain as the intro does ring a bell but I can't think who it might have been. Anyone else?

--

To keep this relevant to the thread, she said there were about 5 different plans for this festival depending on what is allowed, based on numerous factors like "no international bands", "only 10k cap", "only 5k cap" etc.

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:35 am

Yeah the podcast was an interesting listen. Good to hear they've got multiple contingencies in place for the festival this year. Whatever they put on, I'll be there! :D

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:13 pm

Considering I bought my Saturday day ticket for the sole reason of seeing Mercyful Fate then I'll be getting a refund if they're not there. I'm as keen to get back to live music as most folk but I'm not gonna accept far less than what I paid for just for the sake of watching bands again.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:38 pm

If they have to run a smaller event due to restrictions I think it would likely be its own event with its own tickets etc and the tickets for BOA already in existence would either roll over or be refunded.

Reason I think they would go that route is it avoids the issue above of people complaining they are getting less for the same and also avoids the problem of the festival either being near sold out the second its announced or them having more BOA tickets out there than the replacement fest can accommodate

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:53 am

She left them half a used bottle of water apparently haha no idea who the band were