Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:46 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I won't go through all of the bands you've listed as I have no interest in many of them.

However, Iced Earth did shows outside London in 2011 (I saw them in Birmingham) and in 2012 shortly before Bloodstock (I saw them in Glasgow). All they've done since 2014 that I can think of is the one show in London with Ensiferum, Kataklysm and Unearth.

Hammerfall toured with Saxon in 2011 on a UK tour but they haven't been back since the one-off show in Islington in 2015.

I'm sure Accept had at least one UK show a couple of years ago. They played in the Koko I think. Maybe you were only referring to shows outside London though.

Kamelot did 2 UK shows (Manchester and Birmingham) around Hammerfest with Evergrey and Visions of Atlantis last year.

Yes, I was referring to shows outside of London as part of an actual tour, and not support slots (which is why I didn't mention Hammerfall supporting Saxon in 2011 or Doro supporting Saxon in 2009). And I should have said Europe & the US given my inclusion of Iced Earth and Manowar.

If we can't rely on Maiden to take decent bands out as support instead of their kids' terrible bands, maybe we can rely on Saxon to go back to taking power metal bands out rather than bloody Girlschool every time?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:26 pm

Its a mixed bag but some, not just Power Metal but other, lets say more trad metal bands do alright that don't seem to get any festival recognition: Visigoth and Bewitcher got a good crowd in Manchester, much more than I was expecting. Fates Warning had a decent turnout at the Underworld. Threshold have had decent crowds in London, and even when they came up to Chester, but that was when they had a frontman who would have been in his element on either RJD or Sophie stages. Wasn't quite as many in London or Wakefield when I've seen them with the current guy. Maybe not amazing but given that King 810 don't sell out small clubs up here, not including more trad bands in the lower orders is a head scratcher - there's certainly ones who can draw interest, particular if in the mix with the Saxons, Powerwolfs and Accepts higher up.

I did see Kamelot and Symphony X up here, good crowds, and a bit further back Edguy sold out Sound Control in Manchester. Orden Ogan did play here a couple of years ago, no idea how well it was attended. Gus G had a solo gig booked but was cancelled due to poor sales, Firewind are still doing support slots like opening for Queensryche.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:09 pm

I managed to have a good chat with Brainstorm when I saw them in Paris last year and specifically asked them about them never playing the UK.... not even a one off London show. They bluntly replied that no one would take on the gig. Lack of interest from promoters despite the band trying.

It’s worrying when even Hammerfall aren’t even playing over here anymore.

The tour in October with orden Ogan, Grave Digger and Rage is a perfect tour for me but again no sniff of any U.K. dates. Means another trip to Paris.

I’m really hoping Dream Evil, Striker and Vandenberg tag some extra U.K. shows around their Hammerfest appearance.

And why do Running Wild NEVER play here either!?!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:32 am

someone else wrote:Firewind are still doing support slots like opening for Queensryche.

Gus G should just mothball Firewind and strike out on his own or join a bigger band (he'd have more stage presence than Andy Sneap for example). Firewind will never amount to anything with their revolving door of singers.
gazsetsfire wrote:They bluntly replied that no one would take on the gig. Lack of interest from promoters despite the band trying.

When Hammerfall last announced a UK tour I read a comment on the Facebook post from a British person asking them to come here. Hammerfall replied to say that they have been trying to sort it out but the promoters aren't interested. Would be nice if Bloodstock helped out, but Hammerfall don't have breakdowns.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:57 am

Hammerfall need to shoulder *some* of the blame for that one though. I really liked Hammerfall's first 4 albums and would likely still go and see them if they played somewhere in the region of Leeds, Sheffield or Manchester. But tbh, they haven't made a decent album since Crimson Thunder. Had their output continued along that trajectory then 2 days off work and a trip to London for a one-off show would have been guaranteed. As it is, I'm far less likely to go to that level of effort for a band whose albums have been disappointing for the best part of two decades.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:07 am

I liked them up to 'Threshold', then they tried to do something different with 'Infected' which was the same but not as much about hammers and templars. Since then they've reverted back to type and post-'Infected' albums have been dull and repetitive. They sort of backed themselves into a corner by releasing the same album over and over again for the first ten years.

I'd still be interested in seeing them live because they would be a lot of fun, even if the music has become stale.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:24 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Don't blame them really. Don't know what Rock City was like but the Manchester Blind Guardian show at the Ritz wasn't particularly busy. They didn't even open the upstairs section which I think is the only gig I've been to there where that's happened.

That happens quite often - I've been in there when the balcony has been shut and its still been fairly sparse (Queensryche, Jason and The Scorchers, Govt Mule, Vista Chino) but only once where a gig has been moved to a smaller place (Baroness into Gorilla where it was rammed - easily more that the gigs that still went ahead)

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:30 pm

gazsetsfire wrote:I managed to have a good chat with Brainstorm when I saw them in Paris last year and specifically asked them about them never playing the UK.... not even a one off London show. They bluntly replied that no one would take on the gig. Lack of interest from promoters despite the band trying.

The tour in October with orden Ogan, Grave Digger and Rage is a perfect tour for me but again no sniff of any U.K. dates. Means another trip to Paris.

I’m really hoping Dream Evil, Striker and Vandenberg tag some extra U.K. shows around their Hammerfest appearance.

And why do Running Wild NEVER play here either!?!

What makes it odder is seeing other types of bands from the US play around here, to about 100 if they're lucky - LA Guns, Enuff Z Nuff, Bang Tango, Love Hate - all play in places like Evesham, Buckley, Hull, year in year out...

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:34 pm

someone else wrote:What makes it odder is seeing other types of bands from the US play around here, to about 100 if they're lucky - LA Guns, Enuff Z Nuff, Bang Tango, Love Hate - all play in places like Evesham, Buckley, Hull, year in year out...

I'm sure I've seen Jizzy Pearl sing for 3 of those 4 bands :lol:

In terms of the second-rate glam bands like those, you'll probably find that running costs are kept rather low because only 1 or 2 members of the bands will actually be from the US. The others will be hired hands from the UK.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:17 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
someone else wrote:What makes it odder is seeing other types of bands from the US play around here, to about 100 if they're lucky - LA Guns, Enuff Z Nuff, Bang Tango, Love Hate - all play in places like Evesham, Buckley, Hull, year in year out...

I'm sure I've seen Jizzy Pearl sing for 3 of those 4 bands :lol:

In terms of the second-rate glam bands like those, you'll probably find that running costs are kept rather low because only 1 or 2 members of the bands will actually be from the US. The others will be hired hands from the UK.

True of some but not all - but it doesn't really cover why these bands can come over in whatever numbers and play 5-10 dates to small audiences and not for a one off, but nearly every year, and Euro metal bands cant get gigs...

Baldy77
Consort of the Beast

Postby Baldy77 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:43 am

An announcement this week apparently, maybe the headliner is unveiled...

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:26 pm

Baldy77 wrote:An announcement this week apparently, maybe the headliner is unveiled...

Surely its too soon for that, its over a year away. I wonder if they are gonna be funny about the BLM thing and throw Phil Anselmo off the lineup.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:21 pm

It'll probably be e-Bloodstock over scheduled weekend of the festival, like Download is doing.

phuqsticks
Consort of the Beast

Postby phuqsticks » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Skippy wrote:
Baldy77 wrote:An announcement this week apparently, maybe the headliner is unveiled...

Surely its too soon for that, its over a year away. I wonder if they are gonna be funny about the BLM thing and throw Phil Anselmo off the lineup.

Here's hoping....

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:50 am

phuqsticks wrote:
Skippy wrote:

Here's hoping....

Nah, if they weren't fussed about the controversy caused by booking Emperor then they're not gonna do anything about Anselmo, particularly given that the festival is over a year away and most people tend to have short memories about things that don't directly affect them.