Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:56 pm

A lot of people seem to be ruling out Mercyful Fate already but they may still take the Special Guest slot under Judas Priest

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:58 pm

SlaytanicBacon wrote:A lot of people seem to be ruling out Mercyful Fate already but they may still take the Special Guest slot under Judas Priest

If they'd booked them, they'd have been announced by now, surely ? They want to shift some tickets this year I think :lol:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Postby dvl666 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:06 pm

So is it because its priest that no one is up in arms about a repeat booking like they were with Slayer, Megadeth and many more that had more of a gap?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Behemoth are dull live, so much so it put me off giving their most recent album a go.

Priest and Townsend are great bookings for me, but the only other band on the lineup I like is Diamond Head, and at nine bands a day we're more than half way through the main stage now. Need the next few to be stronger, and need it to have MF.

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:18 pm

dvl666 wrote:So is it because its priest that no one is up in arms about a repeat booking like they were with Slayer, Megadeth and many more that had more of a gap?

I dunno, Nearly every other post on this thread since the announcement has been people saying its too soon.

Me included.

I like a few Mercyful Fate records but I hope to *insert deity of choice* that an SG slot isn't wasted on them. King Diamonds voice is truly awful now. He sounds like Tiny Tim. At least Tiny Tim sang in tune. I feel like if they are booked it will be on account of their status as a classic act rather than the quality of the band!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:56 pm

J.Ross29 wrote:
I like a few Mercyful Fate records but I hope to *insert deity of choice* that an SG slot isn't wasted on them. King Diamonds voice is truly awful now. He sounds like Tiny Tim. At least Tiny Tim sang in tune. I feel like if they are booked it will be on account of their status as a classic act rather than the quality of the band!

When I've seen the king in recent years I haven't noticed any drop in the quality of his voice at all. His recent dvd is fantastic.
I see the bad moon arising.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:41 pm

King Diamond's vocal quality declining isn't so much of an issue as the fact that voice is like nails down a chalkboard at the best of times. :hurl:

As for the announcement: eh, it could've been so much worse. If the choice is either having Priest back so soon vs having someone like Europe or Trivium, I'll take Priest any day of the week.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

dvl666 wrote:So is it because its priest that no one is up in arms about a repeat booking like they were with Slayer, Megadeth and many more that had more of a gap?

Every other comment I've read has been moaning about Priest playing again too soon.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:58 pm

metalicbear wrote:

Every other comment I've read has been moaning about Priest playing again too soon.

A few people saying it's too soon - but no-one complaining that it's Priest per se. Nice thing about bands like them - you know you're getting something excellent, even if they just played Turbo or something, it'd be worth watching.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:16 pm

Ghost wrote:
J.Ross29 wrote:

When I've seen the king in recent years I haven't noticed any drop in the quality of his voice at all. His recent dvd is fantastic.

I suppose its down to personal taste then as I thought both the set at bloodstock in 13' was out of tune (that opening vocal melody in Candle was painful) and the recent DVD was more upsetting than anything. Welcome home used to be absolutely blistering live but now it feels forced and frankly he looks like it is hurting him to sing it. Like I said I am a fan on record but just shows you that different folk hear different things. In all honesty I wish I heard it your way then I could be excited about them potentially playing!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:17 pm

50/50 with the announcement

Personally happy with JP and won't turn down the chance to see them again. Will have seen Behemoth 3 times on the latest album tour by BOA and not a big draw for me now; might skip them depending on how I feel at the time.

I get how big a draw they are for the festival (JP especially since the Ozzy tour has been postponed, their 2nd UK show since Firepower should be a hell of a draw) but still seems too early for both to return. Add that Gloryhammer and Diamond Head seem very high up on main stage as well then not only do we have JP back very soon but we also have a dip in the undercard as a result.

Will probably end up going now, it's the strongest line up since 2017 for me, though I don't have high hopes for the rest of the bill now.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Priest were pretty crap last year, though I like them otherwise. Behemoth are not my kind of thing at all, but they were really good when they played in 2012, so I may check them out. Must say it seems a bit safe and uninspired, they've taken no risks on the headliners. I hope they throw a few curveballs in the special guest slots, not just Dimmu, Opeth and Skindred...
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

dvl666
Consort of the Beast

Postby dvl666 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:54 pm

i0th wrote:

Well yeah, because Priest are fucking legends whereas Slayer are shite and Megadeth are barely above average.

Nice one, thanks for clearing that up.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:21 pm

dvl666 wrote:
Nice one, thanks for clearing that up.

:lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:37 am

I am personally flabbergasted that anyone would complain about Priest even with a 2 year gap. They were great in 2018 and are arguably one of if not THE most important band in the whole genre. Better get them again before they bow out for good (been fooled by that one before) or let's face it, before they are too old and banged up to do anything.

If you don't like them fair enough, I mean I struggle to see how anyone who considers themselves a fan of heavy music doesn't like them but that's just me. Subjectivity and all that.

Behemoth I think is a fantastic booking. Well timed and an organic progression into the hrsdline slot. Saw them on their most recent UK jaunt and they have stepped up their stage show significantly. New album tracks sound better live and they have a stonking back catalogue. Not to mention, being a support to Slipknot will have hopefully opened a lot of people's eyes (and ears) to what they have to offer and prove a sound business-inspired booking for the company.

As for the rest of the lineup, I think it's pretty strong. Big Strapping Young Lad fan and I like the very few tracks I have heard from his other 2000 solo albums and projects.

Phil Anselmo is a stupid fucker no doubt, but I didn't have a problem with Faust (A wound that does not need to be reopened) so I don't really have a problem with him. And fuck it, my formative years were in the 90s so I loved Pantera as they were my gateway band along with Sepultura into the murkier depths of Metal.

Throw in Paradise Lost playing Draconian Times, Sacred Reich, Dark Tranquility and Black Dahlia and this is a damn fine early lineup for me. And that is before any Sophie bands have even been announced!