Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1872
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:15 pm

Bagpuss66 wrote:I think Saxon are the Sunday special guests, I've a feeling a band like Testament will be playing as well.
It would be fantastic if MF could play but as much as we post suggestions of bands we all want sometimes it really is either logistics or if a band wants to play another festival.


Except there isn't another festival MF are likely to play in the UK - Download? doubt it. Damnation? Not extreme enough. Bloodstock is the only viable option for a UK festival for MF and if they don't get booked then this simply is another example of how lazy and out of touch with their fanbase the organisers have become.

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:40 pm

Couldn't Mercyful Fate could also headline the Sophie Lancaster stage?
It would give them extra set time than the Special Guest slot.

Also, I don't think they are as big as people think, I'm definitely showing my age here (born at start of the 90's) and I have to admit I had never heard of them before they were mentioned in this forum and on social media.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1872
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:23 pm

SlaytanicBacon wrote:Couldn't Mercyful Fate could also headline the Sophie Lancaster stage?
It would give them extra set time than the Special Guest slot.

Also, I don't think they are as big as people think, I'm definitely showing my age here (born at start of the 90's) and I have to admit I had never heard of them before they were mentioned in this forum and on social media.


Careful - you'll open yourself up for the predictable 'kids these days!' backlash :lol:

Back to your point, I would say that they're too big for the Sophie stage - but only because they've been away and haven't played live in so long (particularly in the UK). They will get the inevitable bump in crowd size when they do finally play for that very reason but if they stay together and continue (much like Carcass and At the Gates) I would expect that initial spike in interest to dissipate within a couple of years. Had they stayed together and not broken up? Who knows. They could have had a resurgence in the mid-00s when many classic metal bands did but they probably would be mid-late afternoon band at Bloodstock these days if that were the case.

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard of them, particularly as King Diamond has at least remained fairly active in recent years although I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in - it's not like MF have had any profile in the UK for a while now.

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:41 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Careful - you'll open yourself up for the predictable 'kids these days!' backlash :lol:

Back to your point, I would say that they're too big for the Sophie stage - but only because they've been away and haven't played live in so long (particularly in the UK). They will get the inevitable bump in crowd size when they do finally play for that very reason but if they stay together and continue (much like Carcass and At the Gates) I would expect that initial spike in interest to dissipate within a couple of years. Had they stayed together and not broken up? Who knows. They could have had a resurgence in the mid-00s when many classic metal bands did but they probably would be mid-late afternoon band at Bloodstock these days if that were the case.

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard of them, particularly as King Diamond has at least remained fairly active in recent years although I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in - it's not like MF have had any profile in the UK for a while now.


Funny enough I'm familiar with King Diamond so I'm not totally ignorant :lol:
Having since done some research since I'm now aware of who Mercyful Fate are and get the relevance and why people want them to play.

This is just my two cents, but I just thought if they are as big as people claim I surely would have heard of them well before now.
Also, wouldn't Vio-lence and Sacred Reich would be higher up the bill for similar reasons you mentioned? Especially with Vio-lence playing their first UK show ever.

Happy to be proven otherwise though :D

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1872
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:07 pm

SlaytanicBacon wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:Careful - you'll open yourself up for the predictable 'kids these days!' backlash :lol:

Back to your point, I would say that they're too big for the Sophie stage - but only because they've been away and haven't played live in so long (particularly in the UK). They will get the inevitable bump in crowd size when they do finally play for that very reason but if they stay together and continue (much like Carcass and At the Gates) I would expect that initial spike in interest to dissipate within a couple of years. Had they stayed together and not broken up? Who knows. They could have had a resurgence in the mid-00s when many classic metal bands did but they probably would be mid-late afternoon band at Bloodstock these days if that were the case.

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard of them, particularly as King Diamond has at least remained fairly active in recent years although I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in - it's not like MF have had any profile in the UK for a while now.


Funny enough I'm familiar with King Diamond so I'm not totally ignorant :lol:
Having since done some research since I'm now aware of who Mercyful Fate are and get the relevance and why people want them to play.

This is just my two cents, but I just thought if they are as big as people claim I surely would have heard of them well before now.
Also, wouldn't Vio-lence and Sacred Reich would be higher up the bill for similar reasons you mentioned? Especially with Vio-lence playing their first UK show ever.

Happy to be proven otherwise though :D


Difference is, MF have a cult-like status about them whereas Vio-lence and Sacred Reich don't. Plus, at the height of their fame, MF attained a much higher standing (particularly on a global level) than either of those other two bands ever did.

User avatar
Smerphy
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:51 pm
Location: Perthshire

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Smerphy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:35 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Bagpuss66 wrote:I think Saxon are the Sunday special guests, I've a feeling a band like Testament will be playing as well.
It would be fantastic if MF could play but as much as we post suggestions of bands we all want sometimes it really is either logistics or if a band wants to play another festival.


Except there isn't another festival MF are likely to play in the UK - Download? doubt it. Damnation? Not extreme enough. Bloodstock is the only viable option for a UK festival for MF and if they don't get booked then this simply is another example of how lazy and out of touch with their fanbase the organisers have become.


I've heard rumours that'll be headlining Lords of the Land in Glasgow, but until they're announced I don't buy it.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.



That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

User avatar
Smerphy
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1067
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:51 pm
Location: Perthshire

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Smerphy » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:40 pm

SlaytanicBacon wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:Careful - you'll open yourself up for the predictable 'kids these days!' backlash :lol:

Back to your point, I would say that they're too big for the Sophie stage - but only because they've been away and haven't played live in so long (particularly in the UK). They will get the inevitable bump in crowd size when they do finally play for that very reason but if they stay together and continue (much like Carcass and At the Gates) I would expect that initial spike in interest to dissipate within a couple of years. Had they stayed together and not broken up? Who knows. They could have had a resurgence in the mid-00s when many classic metal bands did but they probably would be mid-late afternoon band at Bloodstock these days if that were the case.

In some ways I'm surprised you haven't heard of them, particularly as King Diamond has at least remained fairly active in recent years although I suppose it depends on the circles you travel in - it's not like MF have had any profile in the UK for a while now.


Funny enough I'm familiar with King Diamond so I'm not totally ignorant :lol:
Having since done some research since I'm now aware of who Mercyful Fate are and get the relevance and why people want them to play.

This is just my two cents, but I just thought if they are as big as people claim I surely would have heard of them well before now.
Also, wouldn't Vio-lence and Sacred Reich would be higher up the bill for similar reasons you mentioned? Especially with Vio-lence playing their first UK show ever.

Happy to be proven otherwise though :D


The difference between MF/KD and other bands of a similar size is that they've both written albums that are considered among the best metal albums ever, Metallica literally did a 10 minute medley of MF songs on Garage Inc. because there were simply so many songs to choose from. Among those that have heard them they're usually considered some of the best acts in heavy metal history.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.



That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5015
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Worth pointing out to those that weren't around that European bands didn't tend to play the UK unless they were established or got a decent support slot. It wasn't a case of jumping on Easyjet or going through the Channel Tunnel.

Mercyful Fate were meant to support Manowar in 1984 but pulled out and were replaced by someone like Chariot at the last minute (or was it Tobruck?). So their profile in the UK would have been much bigger.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153663257853
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Thanks for the info guys, consider me more enlightened and can see why MF are wanted to play Bloodstock now :D

I can only put it down to bad timing on how I missed them before :?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Slough

Re: Next Announcement

Postby jwh20 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:05 am

I had never heard that medley, I just listened to it on youtube, goddamn I hate everything about it :( :(

User avatar
varangian
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am

Re: Next Announcement

Postby varangian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 am

I concur with that, not happy about their Rainbow medley either

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:50 am

SlaytanicBacon wrote:Also, I don't think they are as big as people think, I'm definitely showing my age here (born at start of the 90's) and I have to admit I had never heard of them before they were mentioned in this forum and on social media.


The dividing line seems to be those that discovered bands through Metallica's Garage Inc and those who knew the band prior to that. We're at a disadvantage of ya know, not being alive when they were around at the start :lol:


Smerphy wrote:I've heard rumours that'll be headlining Lords of the Land in Glasgow, but until they're announced I don't buy it.


I hope not, that'll be my budgeting out the window having to fit in a trip up to Scotland at short notice :lol:

SlaytanicBacon wrote:Also, wouldn't Vio-lence and Sacred Reich would be higher up the bill for similar reasons you mentioned? Especially with Vio-lence playing their first UK show ever.

Happy to be proven otherwise though :D


Sacred Reich have toured over here a few times in recent years so the bookers can see how well they draw, given the size of the tours (as much as I'd like to see them get a good slot) they're suited further down the stage.

Vio-lence are harder to pin down because you can only go off projections really; I'm a big fan but they're only really known for being Rob Flynn's band before Machine Head to most people. The "blew all the money on the headliners" might see them nab a higher slot, personally I think they'll be 4th or 5th from top.

User avatar
varangian
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am

Re: Next Announcement

Postby varangian » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Sometimes thing are just "The right time" , bands popularity goes up and down

Judas Priest anniversary is a draw, yep far too sonn but i`ll go, supporting Ozzy the year after does take the edge off the event tho
Paradise Lost playing Draconian Times in full, at least its a bit different, sure most of us would prefer Icon or Gothic

MF happening would certainly be a good time, KD seems to be in good health and voice. Similarly the Hellhammer reformation last year, hadnt been done a billion times or final tour going into ten years.

Saxon with the anniversary would be a good time

Helloween Pumpkins United and Demons and Wizards were lost opportunities, there have been a few

Similarly a one off Bolt Thrower reformation would be something that would generate interest/tickets and be an exclusive. The Wishlist hath been the quietest year I have ever seen it, whether people dont have the ideas, dont feel listen to, feel its a foregone conclusion, bored, im not sure

User avatar
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1448
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:47 pm
Location: Reading

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:00 pm

varangian wrote:The Wishlist hath been the quietest year I have ever seen it, whether people dont have the ideas, dont feel listen to, feel its a foregone conclusion, bored, im not sure

I don't think the people booking the bands may much attention to the forum wishlist, so I don't think there's much point requesting many bands.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1872
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:09 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
varangian wrote:The Wishlist hath been the quietest year I have ever seen it, whether people dont have the ideas, dont feel listen to, feel its a foregone conclusion, bored, im not sure

I don't think the people booking the bands may much attention to the forum wishlist, so I don't think there's much point requesting many bands.


Exactly that - I don't have any faith that anyone from the festival's booking team pays any attention to the wishlist so why would I bother with it?