Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Next Announcement

Postby houston4044 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:39 pm

Skippy wrote:
cheesemason wrote:
Skippy wrote:And that was?

Tuesday

Thanks. Wonder if its going to be anything more than the Lost Society one they leaked the other week.

Maybe one or two extra bands but I expect it to just be officially announcing the leaked bands.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 am

Lost Society
Video Nasties
Wolf Jaw
Grave Lines
Vexed

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:19 am

Haven't heard of a single band on this announcement but that's to be expected at this point

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:24 am

Lost Society are not a small band. Finnish band, started off as crossover thrash but the last album was closer to metalcore. Good live.

Of the others, Video Nasties (melodeath / black'n'roll) just released their debut album to solid acclaim (I enjoyed it quite a bit actually).

Grave Lines should be familiar to those in the stoner/doom circles.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:41 am

Video Nasties debut album is really good IMO.
I see the bad moon arising.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:49 am

Lost Society are ok, none of the others sound particularly interesting to me.

Really shocked Lost Society are openers. Surely they are way bigger than Svalbard? Seems odd.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:05 pm

i0th wrote:
Skippy wrote:Lost Society are ok, none of the others sound particularly interesting to me.

Really shocked Lost Society are openers. Surely they are way bigger than Svalbard? Seems odd.

There's still one more space on that stage but that won't change the Lost Society/Svalbard ordering. Maybe they just didn't want 3 thrash bands in a row?

You may be right, although they've never cared about that before. For that to matter though we'd be expecting a pretty big band to be the last one - above Sacred Reich, which I can't see happening. Maybe Lost Society have to be away quickly.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:12 pm

Skippy wrote:Really shocked Lost Society are openers. Surely they are way bigger than Svalbard? Seems odd.

Lost Society aren't very big, their last UK tour took in venues like The Boston Arms in London which is 200 capacity according to google (either way it's small from when I've been). Think Svalbard have more name value as they've managed to support a diverse range of bigger bands so probably given that push up.

Given more festivals are cancelling and now it's reaching festivals in July I'm starting to wonder if BOA will go ahead or without big line up changes. I don't know if bands will find fewer dates viable or conversely take whatever dates they can to make something.

As for the announcement, big meh

Lost Society- Used to be really good but changed their style to become quite bland with their latest. Would probably watch them but would of been better having got them on their last album.

Gravelines- Bored me to tears when I saw them as a support act in February, will avoid

Vexed- Support all the time around my area, seen them enough times to skip them.

Video Nasty's- liking what I'm hearing, picking up the mantle where Entombed left it.

Wolf Jaw- Bog standard rock, nothing amazing.

I say all this yet I know if everything is in the clear for BOA I'll have a good time line up or not :lol:

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Unless this virus fucks off very quickly (which I can't see happening) there's absolutely no chance Bloodstock will happen this year sadly.

It just isn't safe to have that many people together in one place in unsanitary conditions for days on end in the current situation.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Bizza wrote:Unless this virus fucks off very quickly (which I can't see happening) there's absolutely no chance Bloodstock will happen this year sadly.

It just isn't safe to have that many people together in one place in unsanitary conditions for days on end in the current situation.

You may very well be right- there will be a world shortage of hand sanitiser for a start

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:12 am

i0th wrote:I have zero expectation that this year's festival will go ahead. Hopefully they can keep most of Friday, Devin, Dark Tranquillity and Sacred Reich for next year.

I'm inclined to agree with you there as I can't see things getting back to normal for a long period of time.
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:38 am

Im a bit more optimistic, if the peak happens before the end of April we could start seeing the lockdown relaxed by the end of May and so if that happens we could be back to some level of normality by July which might allow the August fests to go ahead.

Not something id put money on though

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:40 am

I think we'll be in lockdown until at least the middle of June.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:09 am

i0th wrote:I have zero expectation that this year's festival will go ahead. Hopefully they can keep most of Friday, Devin, Dark Tranquillity and Sacred Reich for next year.

I have little hope the virus will abate until near year's end; was just pointing out that at this rate even if it were to suddenly disappear near August most bands will have cancelled their summer plans anyway leaving BOA able to run but no one to play.

Black Wizard wrote:I think we'll be in lockdown until at least the middle of June.

Probably emerge from full on lockdown around then but still likely to have restrictions in place for much of the year imo

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:01 pm

My gut feeling is it's all about insurance. My guess is they've insured the festival and they're playing by the rules to ensure they will get a payout in the event of having to cancel it. If they do it now before their insurers have no option but to support the cancellation, they will probably get nothing back. Hence they have to at least keep up the idea that it's all full steam ahead.

My guess is we'll be waiting until June, but in the end it won't go ahead. Even if Bloodstock themselves don't cancel, likely the bands will.

That said, Guns N Roses has said nothing about their Twickenham gig next month! I'm still amazed it's not been postponed given that all football matches are off and that sort of thing.