Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
florencethemachine
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby florencethemachine » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:01 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I don't know why I even bother checking these announcements any more - 6 more bands, 6 more that most folk won't have even heard of. They might as well just rename the Sophie Stage "New Blood Stage 2" at this rate.

What a bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping lineup this has turned out to be.

In recent years I would agree with you but I have to say the disparity betwenn the RJD and the Sophie stage in regards to well known bands this year has dramatically decreased. Granted it is very Death Metal heavy but the following bands I feel most people active in the scene would know;

Soen
Exhumed
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Hatebreed
Unleash the Archers

Even bands like Bossk, Necrot, Memoriam, Blasphemer and Black Tongue have a lot more visibility in the scene than previous middle booking Sophie bands.

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:57 am

florencethemachine wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I don't know why I even bother checking these announcements any more - 6 more bands, 6 more that most folk won't have even heard of. They might as well just rename the Sophie Stage "New Blood Stage 2" at this rate.

What a bottom-of-the-barrel-scraping lineup this has turned out to be.

In recent years I would agree with you but I have to say the disparity betwenn the RJD and the Sophie stage in regards to well known bands this year has dramatically decreased. Granted it is very Death Metal heavy but the following bands I feel most people active in the scene would know;

Soen
Exhumed
Cattle Decapitation
Winterfylleth
Hatebreed
Unleash the Archers

Even bands like Bossk, Necrot, Memoriam, Blasphemer and Black Tongue have a lot more visibility in the scene than previous middle booking Sophie bands.

this ! i mean its not the biggest indicator but black tongue have over 60,000 monthly listens on spotify ...acid reign only have 3000.

forgot how stupid heavy black tongue are so i mean they might flatline the stage before hatebreed can play on it that cheers you up :lol: :lol:

sunday isnt looking nice at all can see lots of clashes happening

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:40 am

The Sophie stage has more recognised bands on it than normal, but there just not my kinda thing.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Pist is a great booking, the latest album is fantastic, but they play in my leg of the woods so often I can't really get that excited (I've seen them twice already this year, and am due to to again next month). Not sure where I've seen Blasphemer before, but they're in my head as someone I've previously enjoyed.

Not heard of any of the others.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:11 pm

robin8585 wrote:Not sure where I've seen Blasphemer before, but they're in my head as someone I've previously enjoyed.

You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:48 am

Ghost wrote:You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:

Is that band Daarth still around? I always thought they should do a tour with Vader.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:00 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Ghost wrote:You maybe thinking of the British version of Blasphemer that played last year. They are also a great band. Both versions of Blasphemer should do a tour together :lol:

Is that band Daarth still around? I always thought they should do a tour with Vader.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:03 pm

After giving the bands I didn't know a listen, it was an alright announcement but doesn't really add much excitement for me. Had slightly hoped that the last main stage slot on Saturday was going to be between PL and BT but should of gathered it wasn't. Given the bands on the Saturday and Sunday I won't hold my breath for the last 2 main stage slots Friday.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:44 pm

Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal. Thankfully they're not overly cheesy so have got me interested - nice pick for an opening slot.

Black Tongue sound interesting, definitely need to check out a bit more of their stuff. Pist are a maybe depending on clashes. Blasphemer I need to check out. The other two are not for me.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:34 pm

The top 3-5 bands or so listed on the Sophie on each day are all bands I'd have expected a fairly regular gig goer to have at least heard of / seen on touring posters etc. Granted, this may be different for different part of the country you're in for some of them (Pist, for example, I'd expected northerners more likely to know, as well as previous Bloodstockers, seeing as they've played before).

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:41 pm

The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal. Thankfully they're not overly cheesy so have got me interested - nice pick for an opening slot.

Giving them a listen now, the drum sound is catastrophically bad.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

that works for me, i mean have been getting into gloryhammer alot more recently but the top three bands at the festival for me are green lung , dahlia and saxon and was worrying that green lung would clash with one of them .. i mean still might knowing my luck :lol:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:59 am

Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal. Thankfully they're not overly cheesy so have got me interested - nice pick for an opening slot

They're alright and will probably watch them, but they don't excite me that much.

Haldamir319 wrote:The re-jigged line-up now has Gloryhammer and Green Lung clashing, which would be pretty horrible.

I'm just hoping they move Necrot/Exhumed so they don't clash with Sacred Reich/Dark Tranquility :|

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:54 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Surprised there hasn't been much positivity towards Savage Master on here so far. They sound pretty suited to the majority's taste on this forum - melodic trad/power metal.

Yep. They're absolutely the sort of band that should be being booked. It's just that they're not very good. Musically they're OK, but the vocals are really weak. NWOTHM is on the rise at the moment, and on paper they're a good fit. But others are far, far better. Quite how the likes of Eliminator and Seven Sisters have been overlooked in favour of this is a mystery.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...