Next Announcement

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Cassius » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 am

As far as I know there is lots of insurance that will only pay out under force majeure, different country but this was the case with Metaldays where they could only cancelled when the Slovenian government clarified the long term plans

Since the UK government refuses to discuss anything more than a few weeks ahead force majeure is not triggered here atm and so its possible Bloodstock would take a massive financial hit or even go bust if they cancel now

In regards to other festivals its possible they are with different insurers who have accepted force majeure or something similar without the government say so and Bloodstock and with some dicks who refuse it til the government announce it

PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Postby PowerThrash » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:13 am

Sabaton Open Air has cancelled this years Fest.
https://sabatonopenair.net/arets-festival-flyttar-till-2021/

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:55 am

bloodofthekings wrote:
JPMC wrote:At the end of the day, it seems overbearingly obvious that this is just an insurance thing. I mean, when was the last announcement? The last one with Video Nasties etc. I think had to happen simply as someone messed up and posted too early. There's been nowt since. Hence I honestly believe they are not committing anymore bands to the lineup until they can confirm that they can cancel and get a payout from their insurances. It just seems like simple bureaucracy at this point and not one you can lay the blame of at the hands of the organisers. I do have sympathy as this fest takes an awful lot of effort so really it's just everybody's waiting game.

I don't disagree but when other festivals that were due to happen around the same time have already announced their cancellations, it raises the question of what's so different about their insurance to Bloodstock's

What festivals are they? Sure, a lot of European festivals around that time have cancelled, but as far as I can see all the UK festivals in August are still going ahead - Arctangent haven't cancelled and neither have Reading/Leeds as far as I can tell. With 2000 Trees cancelling yesterday its getting closer to inevitable, but it seems like the UK government are holding out and until they announce something festivals won't be able to get the payout.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:03 pm

Hiraeth wrote:Obviously I don't know the organisers, but given Vicky's general demeanour on Twitter I wouldn't even be surprised if it was like the Australian Formula 1 and they announce it on the day :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can just imagine Vicky & co. standing shoulder to shoulder in front of the Serpent's Lair Bar giving a statement to put on social media in which they try to explain why they festival hadn't been called off earlier.

I find it amusing that the organizer's held a meet & greet with them in Derby in the middle of March. Nobody should want to go to a meet & greet with festival organizers, and why didn't the cancel it? :?

kernow666
Warrior of Metal

Postby kernow666 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 am

It’s going ahead big announcement next Monday
Thrashin is my business & business is good

@kernowdeth

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:37 am

Devin said the other day that he doesn't think any of his European tour will be going ahead (Bloodstock included).

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:07 am

Update from BOA HQ on Monday afternoon.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:51 am

Don't know why people assume the announcement is confirmation that the festival is going ahead, when even the Government aren't confirming anything beyond the next 3 weeks.

I expect the announcement will be that it's cancelled but that they've been able to secure x number of bands from this year's lineup for next year (which would explain the 2021 lineup page that was up temporarily and then taken down). Possibly waiting until Monday to see how many more of those bands they can lock in over the next few days.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:07 am

I expect it to be an announcement that they're closely monitoring the situation but hoping to go ahead as planned with updates to follow. They'll also announce some sort of prize draw for Bloodstockers to join them in an online meet & greet, because people want to meet the organizers for some reason.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:23 am

i0th wrote:This really should be a postponement announcement, but wouldn't at all surprise me if they keep pushing the ridiculous idea that Bloodstock is going ahead this year.

When could you postpone it to though? August is pretty much the last month of the year you could hold an outdoor festival due to our shit weather. 15,000 people are hardly gonna go camping outside for a weekend in October.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 am

bloodofthekings wrote:I expect the announcement will be that it's cancelled but that they've been able to secure x number of bands from this year's lineup for next year (which would explain the 2021 lineup page that was up temporarily and then taken down). Possibly waiting until Monday to see how many more of those bands they can lock in over the next few days.

Pretty much this exactly! I would imagine the 2021 lineup was a test for the website so they can go live with it.

Again I'll maintain that it really depends what's retained from the lineup!

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:05 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
JPMC wrote:At the end of the day, it seems overbearingly obvious that this is just an insurance thing. I mean, when was the last announcement? The last one with Video Nasties etc. I think had to happen simply as someone messed up and posted too early. There's been nowt since. Hence I honestly believe they are not committing anymore bands to the lineup until they can confirm that they can cancel and get a payout from their insurances. It just seems like simple bureaucracy at this point and not one you can lay the blame of at the hands of the organisers. I do have sympathy as this fest takes an awful lot of effort so really it's just everybody's waiting game.

I don't disagree but when other festivals that were due to happen around the same time have already announced their cancellations, it raises the question of what's so different about their insurance to Bloodstock's

I have no idea of the wording of Bloodstock's or indeed any other event's insurers. But there is likely a section covering cancellation, postponement and abandonment. While a lot of contracts are now excluding payouts on the basis of communicable disease, it's unknown as to whether Bloodstock's policy which will be in effect prior to this outbreak has those terms.

Assuming that their policy does not exclude these things, it is a question of waiting to find out if the outbreak will affect events in August. At the moment, nobody knows that so it is too early to exercise that portion of the insurance.

Assuming that the policy does exclude communicable disease, then their only recourse is to exercise some other portion of their insurance, which may be reduced attendance of people who were intending to come (that is the Government ordering people to stay home up to and including August), artists cancelling, etc. After that point, the issue is how much cash Bloodstock has lost in terms of deposits to artists, if any traders on site will require deposits back, lost revenue from things like beer sales or money tied up in stock (e.g. shirts). They may be wishing to exercise their public and employer's liability as putting people in the arena would expose them to risk which would result in future claims against the festival which would cost the insurers more in terms of payouts than agreeing to some sort of lower payout from the insurance company to cancel the festival altogether...

At the end of the day, these are pure guesses and it could be none, one or all of these. Without any further knowledge than what we have here, that's a guess as to why it hasn't been cancelled yet.

For Download, from what I understand the only option for download at Donington is that specific weekend in June. I don't know specifics but if Donington themselves took the decision to cancel that event and there was no other possibility of moving the festival or postponing it, then their insurers (and likely that of Donington) would be doing the messy work of who owes what. Simply, Bloodstock is too far away in the calendar for anyone to make a decision on whether the festival goes ahead or not, especially from an insurance point of view. And frankly, if Bloodstock make the decision themselves, it is very unlikely that there is any exercisable clause in their contract to allow them to recuperate. This could cost dearly.

As for the artists, I would imagine Judas Priest and Devin have the capacity to agree a postponement to 2021 without further cost and my guess is from what they are saying on social media platforms, it's likely they will agree to that. Hence I expect to see the same bill possibly minus a few here and there from the 2021 billing.

But again, who knows. I'm just some idiot with a keyboard and an internet connection. We won't really know until we know!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:38 pm

The Ramblin Man fest put some comments up about Download and Glastonbury - big fests have infrastructure things like Motorway junction closures/diversions to sort months in advance with organisations that may be on shut down, Glastonbury would have started to build its wall by now, can't do it with social distancing.

A fest I was going to in June cancelled only last week - reason for delay compared to others was it was sorting out the 2021 bill to include in the same announcement and getting most of the 2020 bill to come back. Easy for an organisation to say 'keep the tickets for next year' with no line up (although some BOA ticket holders may be happy to take the gamble!)
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:44 pm

someone else wrote:The Ramblin Man fest put some comments up about Download and Glastonbury - big fests have infrastructure things like Motorway junction closures/diversions to sort months in advance with organisations that may be on shut down, Glastonbury would have started to build its wall by now, can't do it with social distancing.

That would be a sensible assumption to make re Bloodstock too. Although the build is nowhere near as in advance, that may have a lot to do with it too.

Added, I fully reckon the announcement Monday is going to be more of the same, it's going ahead, look at these cool bands. I would say even Monday is too far away to call it off.

JPMC
Warrior of Metal

Postby JPMC » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 pm

Just noticed, the Bearded Theory was rescheduled for mid September. So being postponed until sometime in September or even October could be a possiblity.

Better get your coat, hat and gloves ready!