JPMC wrote:At the end of the day, it seems overbearingly obvious that this is just an insurance thing. I mean, when was the last announcement? The last one with Video Nasties etc. I think had to happen simply as someone messed up and posted too early. There's been nowt since. Hence I honestly believe they are not committing anymore bands to the lineup until they can confirm that they can cancel and get a payout from their insurances. It just seems like simple bureaucracy at this point and not one you can lay the blame of at the hands of the organisers. I do have sympathy as this fest takes an awful lot of effort so really it's just everybody's waiting game.
I don't disagree but when other festivals that were due to happen around the same time have already announced their cancellations, it raises the question of what's so different about their insurance to Bloodstock's
I have no idea of the wording of Bloodstock's or indeed any other event's insurers. But there is likely a section covering cancellation, postponement and abandonment. While a lot of contracts are now excluding payouts on the basis of communicable disease, it's unknown as to whether Bloodstock's policy which will be in effect prior to this outbreak has those terms.
Assuming that their policy does not exclude these things, it is a question of waiting to find out if the outbreak will affect events in August. At the moment, nobody knows that so it is too early to exercise that portion of the insurance.
Assuming that the policy does exclude communicable disease, then their only recourse is to exercise some other portion of their insurance, which may be reduced attendance of people who were intending to come (that is the Government ordering people to stay home up to and including August), artists cancelling, etc. After that point, the issue is how much cash Bloodstock has lost in terms of deposits to artists, if any traders on site will require deposits back, lost revenue from things like beer sales or money tied up in stock (e.g. shirts). They may be wishing to exercise their public and employer's liability as putting people in the arena would expose them to risk which would result in future claims against the festival which would cost the insurers more in terms of payouts than agreeing to some sort of lower payout from the insurance company to cancel the festival altogether...
At the end of the day, these are pure guesses and it could be none, one or all of these. Without any further knowledge than what we have here, that's a guess as to why it hasn't been cancelled yet.
For Download, from what I understand the only option for download at Donington is that specific weekend in June. I don't know specifics but if Donington themselves took the decision to cancel that event and there was no other possibility of moving the festival or postponing it, then their insurers (and likely that of Donington) would be doing the messy work of who owes what. Simply, Bloodstock is too far away in the calendar for anyone to make a decision on whether the festival goes ahead or not, especially from an insurance point of view. And frankly, if Bloodstock make the decision themselves, it is very unlikely that there is any exercisable clause in their contract to allow them to recuperate. This could cost dearly.
As for the artists, I would imagine Judas Priest and Devin have the capacity to agree a postponement to 2021 without further cost and my guess is from what they are saying on social media platforms, it's likely they will agree to that. Hence I expect to see the same bill possibly minus a few here and there from the 2021 billing.
But again, who knows. I'm just some idiot with a keyboard and an internet connection. We won't really know until we know!