Advice for first timers

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
Battlejacketbloke
Lowly Peon

Advice for first timers

Postby Battlejacketbloke » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:43 pm

Hey, this year will mark my first time at BOA after attending all sorts of festivals around the world so i was just after some hints, tips or advice such as....

How much is beer and food generally?(and tabs!)
What to expect from the main arena and campgrounds?
What sort of distance is stuff away from each other?
Should i pack with the idea that I'll be well searched? (Nothing about contraband, just won't meticulously pack stuff if it's going to be pulled out and thrown back in a bag on a pop-up table) :lol:
Do any of the campgrounds have reputations?(Want to avoid complete carnage if possible)
Are they cool with portable BBQs?
What's the weather generally like at BOA? (I know at download it's either death valley or a monsoon)
How acccessible are the main routes around the site?(Do they have pop up metal roads)
Is there a supermarket on site?

Really appreciate any help you guys and gals can give me!

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: Advice for first timers

Postby WorMzy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:23 am

How much is beer and food generally?(and tabs!)

I can't comment on the beer, and I don't think tabs are a thing, but food prices vary from stall to stall. Expect to pay between £5 and £10 for most stuff.

What to expect from the main arena and campgrounds?

Not sure what you're asking here, but here's the site map for last year.

What sort of distance is stuff away from each other?

Everything is walkable. Here's the googlemaps location for the festival site if you want to measure distances (note that the site is host to multiple events throughout the year, and the one that happened to be on at the time google last photoed it ISN'T Bloodstock, but does set up the site in a similar fashion).

Should i pack with the idea that I'll be well searched?

Yes. The queues to get in can get apocalyptic because of it. It does vary of course, some people may get a more thorough search than others.

Do any of the campgrounds have reputations?

Midgard is the original campsite and is also the biggest, so has gotten a bit of a reputation as the party camp. For better or worse, old school binjousting now seems to be a thing of the past, however.
The Ragnarok camp has a noise curfew, if you want a good nights sleep, that's your best bet.

Are they cool with portable BBQs?

Disposable ones only (unless you're in a campervan -- which you need to have a specific ticket for, and have to park in the campervan camp). Solid fuel camping stoves are also okay. No liquid fuel or gas canisters allowed on site (again, possible exception for campervans).

What's the weather generally like at BOA? (I know at download it's either death valley or a monsoon)

In my experience more often than not, it's dry if not sunny. It is during the British summer though, so there are the occasional downpours. FTR, last year was a mudbath. Checking the weather for the area closer to the festival and packing appropriately is advised.

How acccessible are the main routes around the site?(Do they have pop up metal roads)

No pop up roads (except at the coach drop-off). In terms of footpaths, when it's wet, it's a quagmire. When it's dry it's rock solid. There is no in-between. ;)

Is there a supermarket on site?

Yep, in the Midgard campsite (alongside a camping shop), check the site map above.

Hope this helps, welcome to the forum (and festival).
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:26 am

Hi,

1 ) Beer was £4.50 a pint last year and for a main meal your looking at £7 - £10 and the quality is generally good

2 ) You can see a map of last years site layout from last year at the link below to get an idea and it rarely changed much

https://www.bloodstock.uk.com/downloads ... p_2019.jpg

3 ) Everything is really fucking close especially if you are used to something like Download. Walking from 1 side of the arena is a 5 - 10 min walk depending on pace and similarly almost all camping spots except the most far out are at most 10 mins walk from arena

4 ) While it is possible its not common, they will usually stick their hands inside packs etc feeling for glass and such but iv never had my pack actually pulled apart

5 ) Midgard is the biggest and noisiest campsite with lots of partying into the night, Ragnarok is a designated quiet camp and the rest are somewhere in between

6 ) Yes as long as you use them in the specified areas marked on the map

7 ) Generally good, obviously had the odd bad year like last year with high winds and 2010 which turned into mudstock but iv been every year since 2010 and most of the time its been nice sunny weather. Though id still pack for all eventualities

8 ) As far as I know its pretty accessible with signs and stewards out on roads to guide people. But im not a driver so might be best to wait for someone else to confirm that

9 ) Yes but its pretty small and iv never used it so cant commend on how good it is

henryburch4
Powermetal Child

Postby henryburch4 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:24 am

WARM LAYERS
cant stress it enough how cold it can get in the evening. seems obvious but in 2018 after a few years off forgot how cold it can get and spent most evenings ater bands trying to stay warm.

i normally pack my joggers and a couple of hoodies and a cheeky set of thermals and get changed just after headliner ( possibly before if i know im not moving about for them)

of course a good alcohol blanket will help :lol:

Battlejacketbloke
Lowly Peon

Postby Battlejacketbloke » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:53 pm

Cheers for the replies folks, this is really useful and we're really looking forward to attending. Sadly one of our group can't get Thursday off so we're coming early Friday morning. Any advice on which campsites are likely to be less packed out?

Cheers again!

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:56 pm

Don't bring anything in glass, decant your hard stuff into 'plastic' or a stainless steel thermos...they will take your bottle of Southern Comfort and stick it under the search table! Also I saw mirrors there once

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:11 am

I wouldn't worry about the campsites being full. They didn't get anywhere close to that for the past couple of years. You'll be able to see into the Valhalla and Asgard camps as you queue to get into the festival, so you'll be able to gauge whether there's enough space in those for your group. If there's no space in them, you'll find plenty in Midgard, Ironwood or Hel. There's usually plenty of space in Ragnarok too, if you want to camp in the quiet campsite.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

beerman
Lowly Peon

Postby beerman » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:42 am

Hi there,
I'm a first timer on BOA(and UK) this year, so please tell me about payment method on-site.
Can I pay for merchandises(T-shirts, Hoodies etc...) or beers/foods by credit card? Or should I trip to the ATM before purchasing something?

I appreciate your help with awesome metal heads!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:54 pm

beerman wrote:Hi there,
I'm a first timer on BOA(and UK) this year, so please tell me about payment method on-site.
Can I pay for merchandises(T-shirts, Hoodies etc...) or beers/foods by credit card? Or should I trip to the ATM before purchasing something?

Merchandise yes, food & drink will depend on the individual stall I think - some of them may be cash only.

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:12 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
beerman wrote:Hi there,

Merchandise yes, food & drink will depend on the individual stall I think - some of them may be cash only.

If cash is needed there are cash machines onsite, they do charge a fee but tend to be reliable.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

beerman
Lowly Peon

Postby beerman » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 pm

Thank you for your replies!
Cheers!