Bringing a 5 year old

For general discussion of all things B.O.A.
dinkame
Lowly Peon

Bringing a 5 year old

Postby dinkame » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:15 pm

Hey there,
We will be flying in especially for the festival with a 5 year old. Is there a special kids are for the night?
Any other tips & tricks related to kids?
Any info would be greatly appreciated

JPMC
Powermetal Child

Re: Bringing a 5 year old

Postby JPMC » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:55 pm

There are people who bring younger kids along to the festival, it is kid friendly. Some do bring babies which seems a bit out there to me, but fair enough. I don't think that it's something I would do.

There isn't really anything kid specific, I can imagine if your kid doesn't like metal then it may not be the best place in the world for him. But there are a couple of funfair rides. I would suggest going VIP if you can.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:01 pm

My lad's been every year of his life. We camp up in campervans so our experience might differ to the majority.

Generally speaking, there's no particular dedicated kids area. For a couple of years there have been early morning things in the Serpent's Lair for youngsters, but through the day there isn't really anything.

You'll often find plenty of families with kids, some of which stick together through the weekend. Some bring trolleys with blankets for sun and cold protection and to help with all the walking you'll do each day. Keeping them warm, cool, hydrated and fed is important, as is noise protection - a set of ear defenders might have them complaining to the point where you wish you had them on but better that than having them complain about ringing in their ears for days or years to come.

If you're going VIP you should find the campsite a nice, short walk away. If you're not, one of the further camping fields might be better for noise and night time drunkards. The slight downside will be a longer walk to and from the arena.

Listen to what they're saying. If they've had enough and want to go back to the tent because they're tired, one or both of you might have to sacrifice a band's set or few, even if it's a headliner. Once you're back at the tent, make sure they have enough layers to keep warm overnight - it's August and summertime, but it can and does get pretty chilly once the sun goes down. That goes for all of you too.

Books, phone, toys. Kids get bored, even at a festival. Make sure you're bringing things to keep them occupied. With any luck you'll make friends with other families, hopefully camped near you too, and the kids can play together, but things from home are a good backup plan.

Other than that, there's still lots going on, bands to see, stalls to browse, ice cream van's usually there every year, dodgems to go nuts on, signing times to keep an eye on. Might be nice to go through the art gallery as well. I'm sure you'll all have a great time!
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Purple n Batty
Consort of the Beast

Postby Purple n Batty » Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:42 pm

Noodle seems to have covered a lot. Also, I've taken a carrier to stick our boy up in either on my back or my front and he has actually fallen asleep in it during the bands or in the Serpents Lair. I've also taken a portable urinal for kids (search on Amazon). Make sure if they understand, to point out the Rock Soc to go to if for any reason they get lost from you and in the even that they don't keep their wristband on, use a sharpie to write your number on their leg or arm (suncream will make it come off). Snacks also. They are expensive in the arena and kids always want snacks! Maybe glow sticks for night. He enjoys random people high fiving him or doing the horns.

Asked our now 8 year old if he has any suggestions and he said to make sure they keep close and bewarned that people do swear (but he knows not to repeat anything heard).

Last year, our Bloodstock family of kids we meet each year gathered loads of the cups up to exchange for a t-shirt each and this kept them entertained.