TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
clare-l
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby clare-l » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 pm

there were people on this here forum who are not american yet didn't get the anvil-sized "renly and loras are gay" bits in the text so it's not just an american thing.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:40 pm

To be fair most of the better TV shows are American. There is plenty of stuff made in the UK which is dumber than a donkey in a dunce's hat.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:47 pm

So after me and Clare got most of the forum convert, my two real life friends I gave my Community season 1 dvd to are all caught up as well

:lol:

This show mang.

CAN'T WAIT FOR MORE JOHN GOODMAN AND PILLOW V BLANKET WAR.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:51 pm

i don't want them to break troy and abed up i will cry forever :(

did you get them watching cougar town too? bonus points if they watch it so the crossovers fit in perfectly.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:56 pm

Skipped to the final episode of Season 1 of Parks and Rec.
How did this steaming shitpile of a show even get a second season?

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 am

New Community was the best one in ages.
Played just like Ken Burns's Civil War documentary. Brilliant.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:37 am

I ended up forgetting to watch it :(
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:14 am

New Community was so good. Couldn't help but think there was a degree of honesty in the credits bit though :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:31 am

Community was an exact example of what my mate said when he first started watching.

There wasn't tons and tons of laugh out loud stuff, but it was incredibly entertaining and interesting.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:02 pm

Jobdone wrote:Community was an exact example of what my mate said when he first started watching.

There wasn't tons and tons of laugh out loud stuff, but it was incredibly entertaining and interesting.

I once said to a mate that "Community has plenty of entertainment value, but it's all stuff that you see and think 'I haven't seen that done anywhere else before'."
This week was a prime example of that :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:16 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:
ish42 wrote:
Why, when Stannis's character is entirely based around him being a man of honour who always does the thing that his oaths require him to do, would you have him sleep with Melisandre? I'm guessing they've put it in so that when she gives birth to the shadow creature you get some background as to where it's come from and so that her control over him is more explicit rather than the more complex relationship detailed in the books. However, it undeniably changes who Stannis is. How are we meant to believe in his decisions as a character from here on in where he'll refuse to break his word, if he already has? /fanboy rant.

Someone else mentioned this to me (haven't watched yet) and it sounds pretty stupid - "breaking the paladin" comes to mind. I assume it's established that he's married to Selyse at some point before this happens?

bringing this up now i've watched it - but stannis and melisandre having sex is canon? if it wasn't heavily implied in earlier books (it was, shadow babies hello) then it was confirmed by melisandre's pov in adwd.

so arguing that it isn't in the books is silly because it is?

re: asha (yara) - she was never described as attractive, more plain with an attitude and swagger? i love how people read that and turn her into a hyper-sexualised pirate princess. i still loved her though i'm very very unhappy with how they took away some of her agency in her first scene. the point is that she's supposed to be in control but i feel it wasn't shown as well.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:28 am

I'm gradually coming to the conclusion I didn't pay enough attention when I read the books. I've a bad habit of skim reading chapters I'm not interested in so that's probably where I miss plenty - Martin's not an engaging enough writer to hold my complete attention, but is worth it for the overall story and the interesting characters. I know before someone jumps on me, that's not the way to read a large epic, but tough.

I'd love to say I'll re-read them to see what I missed and where, but the likelihood of me picking those back up gets slimmer and slimmer. As a writer who has proved he is actually pretty talented when he puts his mind to it, Id've been embarrassed to put ADwD on sale. But plenty of people seemed to enjoy it so I guess it doesn't matter.

Back to the TV series anyway - watched episodes one and two at the weekend. Could have done without the baby killing personally, but other than that pretty good. Melisandre is spot on, and I actually quite like the casting of Stannis too. Little gripe for me was giving Cat's strategy to Robb (who is clearly far too much like his father to have come up with that himself).

As ever though Varys, Tyrion and Cersei steal the show for me - their casting is just superb.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:33 am

it's funny because a page back you called yourself a book purist.

i have to agree on cat though. she's the only stark (except sansa) who's clever enough to think of the diplomatic strategy. robb is a carbon copy of ned (ned 2.0) who pretty much makes the same incredibly stupid mistakes in the name of honour, so it's out of character to have him give his mother the diplomatic orders.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:37 am

I find myself skipping different parts with each re-read. Last time I read ACOK I skipped Jon's bits, and focused on Arya's story. This time I'm skipping Arya to read Jon's bits and everything in King's Landing.

Looking forward to watching episode 2 tonight, complete with Arya, Gendry, Yara, Balon and Aeron. :D
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:41 am

i'll often skip tyrion on a re-read but like reading the paralell arya/sansa chapters together and the jaime/cersei ones as they mirror each other too. but for a first read i'd always take in everything, and then later re-read my favourites. i've a mind for little details, except if it were in a tyrion chapter as i try blank those out of my mind as much as possible.