The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Freyja
Denim Demon

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Freyja » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:00 am

Unfortunately I have a hard time talking to most people, regardless of whether or not we have similar interests. Some people I just click with when I've never met them before, but others, even if I know them and have known them for a while I still struggle to hold a conversation with that extends beyond 'how was your week, did you see who was announced for this festival, whats that youre drinking' etc. Alcohol definitely helps though.

Also oddly enough, I find it very hard to chat to people my own age, but when I'm around someone who's much older, say 40+ I find it a lot easier to chat to them. Hence I fairly often have conversations with strangers on the train. One time coming back from York a guy around middle-ageish sat next to me, he commented on the book I was reading and we ended up chatting for the whole four hours about a whole variety of topics.
Littlemissmetal wrote:I'm 21 and have never touched mine :eyes:

http://blackmetalwine.wordpress.com/

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:12 am

VirginInvader wrote:I hate talking about music with anybody anyhow

;_;

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:15 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:
Nantha wrote:I came to the conclusion that day that I am just generally not very tolerant of stupid people, and just can't get along with them at all.

I think you can conclude from this that you're probably pretty normal - most people are riled by stupidity, whether they admit it is another thing entirely though!

I dunno, I ain't exactly the sharpest knife in the draw and you both seem all right with me :P
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

i_am_a_viking
Paster of Muppets

Postby i_am_a_viking » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:48 am

Fjar wrote:
i_am_a_viking wrote:
Nantha wrote: When I do talk to 'normal' people nowadays I tend to leave out a fair chunk of personality and interests

I feel I do this too nowadays. Especially when talking about what I do at Uni I feel like 'oh here we go again...' because barely anyone understands what it is. They instantly associate it with buildings and architecture or immediately say "OH LIKE TIME TEAM?!" Then when I do get round to telling them they're either not interested in the slightest or continue to be clueless.

Then again when I don't feel comfortable around folks I do tend to gabble and sometimes my sentences probably don't even make sense haha xD

The majority of people are quite interested when I talk about what I studied at uni. When I accepted my offer I expected to have to deal with "Lol what a shite degree. Are you 5 or something?" forever, but most people say it sounds awesome and that they would have done it themselves.

When meeting family friends (like at my mum's wedding etc) or co-worker's partners at company parties, talking about work and 'where-your-life-is-going' tends to be standard. People want to know what you do, who that long-haired Scottish bloke standing next to you is and your career aspirations. I'm assuming that's generic small talk and not just nosiness though. :lol:

But Viking Studies does sound awesome, generally because of the word Viking :B whereas if I were to say Conservation and Restoration of Historical Objects people are like "wat"

Edit: Then I go on to spaff over my love of historic textiles and costume and people think I'm a freak :( lol
We raise our wooden pints and we yoik and sing and we fight and dance til the morning!

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:08 pm

i_am_a_viking wrote:whereas if I were to say Conservation and Restoration of Historical Objects people are like "wat"

Edit: Then I go on to spaff over my love of historic textiles and costume and people think I'm a freak :( lol

Please come find me at BOA and talk to me about that - you only have to get as far as "historical" and you'll have me hooked for as long as you wish! :D

I think I've been quite lucky with who I've met by the sounds of it - most of them are mature enough not to be put off by taste in music. Also, I don't "look metal" 95% of the time, so more often I'm met with polite surprise over anything else.

I haven't met too many raised eyebrows with pole dancing either - not even with men, which I expected. My team of four at work (me and three blokes) just think it's funny if I come in on a Friday morning aching or with sore hands - it's legitimate mickey taking material then :P
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:27 pm

I just think people are cunts, to be honest.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

i_am_a_viking
Paster of Muppets

Postby i_am_a_viking » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:
i_am_a_viking wrote:whereas if I were to say Conservation and Restoration of Historical Objects people are like "wat"

Please come find me at BOA and talk to me about that - you only have to get as far as "historical" and you'll have me hooked for as long as you wish! :D

If only I were going :(
We raise our wooden pints and we yoik and sing and we fight and dance til the morning!

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Oh boo :( ah well, if we meet up at some point and there's a chance to chat I will try and remember to ask you all about it! :)
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Cowbacca
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cowbacca » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:55 pm

I always feel weird when I see people's pictures on here and they're always with a load of other metal looking people, yet the majority of my friends (and the closest) aren't "metal" at all. So I suppose that means I agree with what was being said earlier.

And none of you can have a degree worse than Computer Science. As soon as you tell someone what you're studying, you get placed firmly in the nerd zone. :P

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:58 pm

With archaeology and ancient history people tend to say it sounds interesting. Although pretty much everyone assumes I just excavate all the time when I mention archaeology.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Today I went round a photographers house for a fitting. He left me in his house with the pc to go get another model from the station. Before he went out he said 'Oh you can use facebook and Spotify if you want, but make sure you log out of mine, I don't want people on my facebook seeing my Spotify and thinking something's wrong with me!'
When I enquired he said it's because I like all that 'dark, black music'. I said oh right, yeah I suppose you could call M83 and Kate Bush that :rolleyes:

I don't get it, it's such double standards. I don't assume anything about people's music tastes, yet I constantly have people criticising and making fun of what they think I listen to... and they usually get it completely wrong. :|

Generally to avoid all that, I don't wear band tshirts and 'metal' looking stuff unless I'm out with like-minded people nowadays, I don't have the energy for that sort of judgement any more.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:With archaeology and ancient history people tend to say it sounds interesting. Although pretty much everyone assumes I just excavate all the time when I mention archaeology.

Same, it couldn't be further from the truth
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:11 pm

V-Man wrote:
Slayer-ov-orcs wrote:With archaeology and ancient history people tend to say it sounds interesting. Although pretty much everyone assumes I just excavate all the time when I mention archaeology.

Same, it couldn't be further from the truth

Yeah, I have two weeks of excavation in the summer but that is it :lol:.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:34 pm

Cowbacca wrote:
And none of you can have a degree worse than Computer Science. As soon as you tell someone what you're studying, you get placed firmly in the nerd zone. :P

:lol:

When someone asks, I just go "Computer Science" look at their face and go "Yeah, it's boring as fuck" and move the conversation on.

twilightoftheidols
Denim Demon

Postby twilightoftheidols » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:12 pm

Cowbacca wrote:I always feel weird when I see people's pictures on here and they're always with a load of other metal looking people, yet the majority of my friends (and the closest) aren't "metal" at all. So I suppose that means I agree with what was being said earlier.

My housemate refers to it as "software engineering," and it works too haha!
Insurgency - War Thrashing Chaos - Militant Death Cult MLP due September 2017 https://insurgencythrashuk.bandcamp.com