TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jim
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Jim » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:42 pm

GhostoftheNavigator wrote:South Park hasn't been great so far this season. I know they're proud of the fact that an episode takes 6 days to get the idea, write it, record it, animate it and air it... but just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be. I think the episodes would really benefit from some more time spent on them.

This has always been the issue since about season 8 or so. When a series continually relies on pop culture references to make story lines, you know they've ran out of the ideas for the original concept. Look at The Simpsons.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:33 pm

I don't know some of the newer ones are really good.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 pm

For me they've been about about 60% hit 40% miss the last few seasons. They do have some really boring jokeless episodes, but at the same time they do have some classic material appear. I.e. randy and the internet episode.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 pm

the Theon scenes in Game of Thrones this week were absolutely brilliant. favourite episode by far, some wonderful insight into Cersei, Sansa, Theon & the Renly/Loras/Margaery mess.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 pm

clare-l wrote:the Theon scenes in Game of Thrones this week were absolutely brilliant. favourite episode by far, some wonderful insight into Cersei, Sansa, Theon & the Renly/Loras/Margaery mess.

SPOILERS AHOY

I agree, the more overt and explicit visualisation of the Loras/Renly/Margaery triangle was much better than the indirect faff in the book. Good old HBO! One thing I really didn't get in this episode was Sansa's treatment of Shae. Was it ever suggested in the book that Sansa was such a bitch? :|

Loved the realisation of Tyrion's plan of 'three', I did wonder how they'd pull it off for the screen. :D Oh, and Arya's bit at the end. What a star.

I'm reading ACOK pretty much in line with the series atm (I 'read' tonight's episode last night) and we're only on episode 3, but we're a fair bit along in the book, just under halfway. Are they planning to spill over into ASOS this series?
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Arya is the single best character in the show. But that dude who was bringing her to the wall (I'm terrible with names) went down like a champ.

I think this might be the first episode of the new series I actually liked. :)
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:12 am

Fjar wrote:One thing I really didn't get in this episode was Sansa's treatment of Shae. Was it ever suggested in the book that Sansa was such a bitch? :|

Not a bitch as such, but I seem to remember a scene where someone referred to Shae and they seemed to have a less than good opinion - think they were thinking to themselves that she didn't have a right to "swan about" the way she does - that might have been Sansa but I can't remember for definite.

Eventually I'm going to give in and read these again to see if I find all the things I missed on the last go through - also Alex keeps asking me if things are in the book (when watching the show) and I've gotten to the point I'm not always sure :?
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:29 am

Watched a documentary about the massacre on Utöya and the bombing in Oslo on iPlayer last night - saw some pretty upsetting scenes from the island itself after Anders had finally been arrested. But fuck, I hope they put the bastard behind bars for the rest of his life. I missed most of the first part of the trial on TV yesterday, but it's a long process, so I'll catch the next few pieces of it.

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:29 pm

fluffymoo wrote:Watched a documentary about the massacre on Utöya and the bombing in Oslo on iPlayer last night - saw some pretty upsetting scenes from the island itself after Anders had finally been arrested. But fuck, I hope they put the bastard behind bars for the rest of his life. I missed most of the first part of the trial on TV yesterday, but it's a long process, so I'll catch the next few pieces of it.

I've seen some of the news coverage of the trial and it's scary how he has zero remorse and still believes he was doing it for good :| . I might check out that documentary.

Recently I've been watching The Syndicate. I normally only watch Kay Mellor's programs for the novelty of them usually being filmed in my area, but I love Stuart in it, his chavvy northern accent/manner is kinda hot :eyes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:19 pm

Beginning to think reading the Game of Thrones books might not be such a bad idea after all. It's getting a little tough to keep track of who the new characters are, who's fighting whom, who's sneaking behind whose back, and who's trying to ally themselves with whom.

The Borgias was mighty fine again.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Cougar Town :yes:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Beginning to think reading the Game of Thrones books might not be such a bad idea after all. It's getting a little tough to keep track of who the new characters are, who's fighting whom, who's sneaking behind whose back, and who's trying to ally themselves with whom.

The TV series has cut a lot of the complex story out, so you might confuse yourself more. :P
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Enjoyed ep3 of GoT. Really can't say a bad thing about this season so far, much better than the first.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:08 pm

Applecore wrote:Cougar Town :yes:

On a semi related trivia note, I was watching the remake of The Hills Have Eyes the other night, and the son is Travis from Cougar Town. :o

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:02 am

"I may have gone too far with this one. I have to go to the bank today. What do I tell people? That I had good news AND bad news? ... Sort your life out Craig"

Oh god.

This Community.

The dreamatorium. THIS IS SO GOOD.

EDIT: Oh god. Insight into Abed. Always my favourite episodes.