The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Nantha
Denim Demon

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Nantha » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:22 pm

fluffymoo wrote:From what I gathered, it's not about people making the assumptions, it's about how they make them. People at work can be really mean about my music taste for no reason, whilst if I did the same thing to them they'd throw a hissy fit because they'd think I was being rude. I never bring up my taste in music, they've asked to have a listen to some songs that I like, and from there they've bitched about it for a year and a half now. I just think it's pretty immature for a bunch of 50+ year olds. If they don't like it, then don't bring it up. I'm kind enough to not blast any of "my" music at work, whilst I'm stuck listening to the same old songs from one of the hags' radio.

Yeah this was the point I was trying to make, you said it better.
Work is bad enough but I find relatives can be the most tiring with it. My sister (who actually used to listen to power metal like Sonata Arctica) will come into my room just to tell me what i'm listening to is shit (quite nastily as well sometimes) and I have NEVER ever commented on any of the crap she listens to.
When we were in Greece last summer I was listening to some Devin Townsend as everyone had gone out and I thought I'd just kick back and relax. When they came in, I think it was about 3 seconds before I had everyone making fun of me and shutting off the stereo. When I finally got angry my sister goes 'oh look how aggressive all that metal is making you' :rolleyes: ugh

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:26 pm

I dunno, metal is pretty ridiculous though. I think it's fair game to take the piss a bit. Hell, I do it all the time and I actually like the stuff :lol:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:38 pm

I tend not to bring my music tastes up in conversation, or switch to another genre, shame people cant not make generalisations.
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Pazuzu213 wrote:
peypea wrote:
Nantha wrote:Today I went round a photographers house for a fitting. He left me in his house with the pc to go get another model from the station. Before he went out he said 'Oh you can use facebook and Spotify if you want, but make sure you log out of mine, I don't want people on my facebook seeing my Spotify and thinking something's wrong with me!'
When I enquired he said it's because I like all that 'dark, black music'. I said oh right, yeah I suppose you could call M83 and Kate Bush that :rolleyes:

I don't get it, it's such double standards. I don't assume anything about people's music tastes, yet I constantly have people criticising and making fun of what they think I listen to... and they usually get it completely wrong. :|

Generally to avoid all that, I don't wear band tshirts and 'metal' looking stuff unless I'm out with like-minded people nowadays, I don't have the energy for that sort of judgement any more.

Bit late to the party, but even the people I live with have a similar opinion of me. If they actually bothered to properly talk to me or listen to the music coming from my room they'd have realised that most of my music is incredibly happy and awesome. The generalisations are ridiculous. One of the reasons why I'm looking forwards to moving out in June...

You two look like people who like "alternative music". All there is to it. No point crying when people assume you do. It's not even an insult, it's like everyone assuming you love peanut butter.

First World Problems.

I understand people I don't know making assumptions about me, it'll happen, I've got bright hair and wear a patch jacket. What I said that pissed me off was that the people I have lived with for nearly a year now still make the same generalisations. Don't talk to us like we're stupid please :P
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

VirginInvader wrote:I dunno, metal is pretty ridiculous though. I think it's fair game to take the piss a bit. Hell, I do it all the time and I actually like the stuff :lol:

Well yeah same here, most of us happily take the piss, but there's a difference between joking around ripping on it from time to time, and actual snide comments based on a superior attitude, like some of the given examples
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:58 pm

VirginInvader wrote:I dunno, metal is pretty ridiculous though. I think it's fair game to take the piss a bit. Hell, I do it all the time and I actually like the stuff :lol:

this man speaks the truth.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:09 pm

fluffymoo wrote:From what I gathered, it's not about people making the assumptions, it's about how they make them. People at work can be really mean about my music taste for no reason, whilst if I did the same thing to them they'd throw a hissy fit because they'd think I was being rude. I never bring up my taste in music, they've asked to have a listen to some songs that I like, and from there they've bitched about it for a year and a half now. I just think it's pretty immature for a bunch of 50+ year olds. If they don't like it, then don't bring it up. I'm kind enough to not blast any of "my" music at work, whilst I'm stuck listening to the same old songs from one of the hags' radio.

Been there with work too. My old boss was a horror for it - and the more I refused to rise to anything the worse he became until one of the other managers actually told him to pack in being childish - I didn't even say anything :lol:

I think it probably happens with anything that can be classed as a "minority" rather than a majority aspect. People don't like what they don't understand - it's an extension of that concept.

Personally I don't get upset about it. Music taste is not usually the first thing people find out about me so it's usually met with polite surprise and nothing more. Although, granted a friend did say to me when I turned up at the pub in an Emperor tshirt "But, you're too small and delicate and pretty to be into that!" and she was genuinely shocked. :lol: All said in the nicest way though.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:07 pm

Well it seems things are fizzling out with a girl that I liked. Ah well, I've had a good time hanging out and getting to know an old friend again

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:32 pm

gelder wrote:Well it seems things are fizzling out with a girl that I liked. Ah well, I've had a good time hanging out and getting to know an old friend again

Fuck it, Bisset you've inspired me. I'd rather crash and burn than just sit back and watch it fizzle out!

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:43 am

Apparently my mate's mate is into me. Let's see how long it takes me to fuck this chance up! :lol:

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:46 am

Go on my son, don't be scared! I believe in you :yes:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:32 am

gelder wrote:
gelder wrote:Well it seems things are fizzling out with a girl that I liked. Ah well, I've had a good time hanging out and getting to know an old friend again

Fuck it, Bisset you've inspired me. I'd rather crash and burn than just sit back and watch it fizzle out!

Go forth and spread your seed, Brother
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:43 am

Womble wrote:Apparently my mate's mate is into me. Let's see how long it takes me to fuck this chance up! :lol:

DESTROY HER BEN! DESTROY HER WITH YOUR MAGICAL DEEP-FRIED KARAOKE SUAVENESS!
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:01 am

Delightful-Jim wrote:
Womble wrote:Apparently my mate's mate is into me. Let's see how long it takes me to fuck this chance up! :lol:

DESTROY HER BEN! DESTROY HER WITH YOUR MAGICAL DEEP-FRIED KARAOKE SUAVENESS!

Best thing is she'll probably make you dinner afterwards
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Nantha wrote:

Yeah this was the point I was trying to make, you said it better.
Work is bad enough but I find relatives can be the most tiring with it. My sister (who actually used to listen to power metal like Sonata Arctica) will come into my room just to tell me what i'm listening to is shit (quite nastily as well sometimes) and I have NEVER ever commented on any of the crap she listens to.
When we were in Greece last summer I was listening to some Devin Townsend as everyone had gone out and I thought I'd just kick back and relax. When they came in, I think it was about 3 seconds before I had everyone making fun of me and shutting off the stereo. When I finally got angry my sister goes 'oh look how aggressive all that metal is making you' :rolleyes: ugh

Wow, that's actually incredibly rude. Luckily my family doesn't say much and if they do it's comments like "Lol you listen to some weird stuff" which doesn't bother me. But I, too, have experienced examples like you and others have and it does irritate me sometimes. It also annoys me that I have to be "considerate" of not playing certain bands/whatever in front of people who aren't into it, yet they can play their crap as loud as they want.