movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:55 pm

I watched the '80s remake of The Blob, and Wes Craven's Shocker both for the umpteenth time the other night.
The Blob still stands up as a great film, while Shocker doesn't fare quite so well. Brilliant soundtrack though.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:33 pm

jamestomo wrote:
CrappyMike wrote::Lol: yeah, thats a fair comment. It manages it well though, or at least I thought so. Not too cringeworthy and a couple of decent characers, although mostly typical Americans. The lead guy looked familiar but I cant quite place hime, I think he should get more leading roles though.

It's liam neeson isn't it? Qui-Gon Jinn in Star wars, amongst other roles.

no i am well aware of who liam neeson is :lol:

some research reveals him as taylor kitsch, who is apparently playing john carter. most excellent.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 am

jamestomo wrote:It's liam neeson isn't it? Qui-Gon Jinn in Star wars, amongst other roles.

Of all of the Liam Neeson roles, why would you choose the one from The Phantom Menace??
You could've had Taken, The A-Team, Darkman, The Grey, The Haunting, Unknown, Love Actually..
But The Phantom fucking Menace??
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am

Darkman out of those.

But I would've gone for Schindler's List, by far his best performance.

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 am

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:New Challenge, to get drunk or bored enough to watch this http://www.theasylum.cc/product.php?id=200

Got to admire Asylum for the persistence.

To be fair, apart from all the futurised shit, it actually looks semi-decent. But, the name of it ruined it.
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:34 am

The thing with Syfy and Asylum is that you know they are going to be awful, but sometimes that's the best thing about them. I actually watch a fair few of these type of movies just for a laugh.

On a related note, I think I'll just wait for Iron Sky. It looks slightly more enjoyable.

JRP1349
Powermetal Child

Postby JRP1349 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:52 pm

Nazi's At The Centre Of The Earth looks great but will be terrible, great titles usually lead to crap films, i will still see it though. I do enjoy some asylum films, there version of Paranormal Activity (Paranormal Entity) was much better, has anyone seen there Transformers rip off, Transmorphers?
"You know what really grinds my gears, you America....fucccckkk you!"

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 pm

I saw about 20 mins of it before I sold the DVD due to sheer awfulness.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 pm

Darkweasel wrote:I watched the '80s remake of The Blob, and Wes Craven's Shocker both for the umpteenth time the other night.
The Blob still stands up as a great film, while Shocker doesn't fare quite so well. Brilliant soundtrack though.

I quite like Shocker. It's by no means a great film, but it's fun enough. Fair bit of pilfering from Wes' more famous serial killer film of the same decade, though..
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 pm

Finally watched Green Lantern the other day. A good contender for worst movie ever made, very close with Battle:Los Angeles in recent memory.
Also had the misfortune to sit through Drive Angry...not quite as bad as Green Lantern but close!

Saw Cars for the first time yesterday, really enjoyable, but I found the best bit was the credit sequence with the car versions of the Pixar films!

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Watched Machete earlier. It was sweet.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Watching the straight to video American Pies and good god is there a good reason they are. Band Camp was average to poor, and the one we watched tonight, The Naked Mile was actually beyond awful. Two more of them to go and if they are of that calibre then I wont bother.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:20 pm

CrappyMike wrote:
jamestomo wrote:
CrappyMike wrote::Lol: yeah, thats a fair comment. It manages it well though, or at least I thought so. Not too cringeworthy and a couple of decent characers, although mostly typical Americans. The lead guy looked familiar but I cant quite place hime, I think he should get more leading roles though.

It's liam neeson isn't it? Qui-Gon Jinn in Star wars, amongst other roles.

no i am well aware of who liam neeson is :lol:

some research reveals him as taylor kitsch, who is apparently playing john carter. most excellent.

Apologies, I haven't seen the film, only the trailer and when I saw Neeson I assumed he'd be the main actor.

Applecore wrote:
jamestomo wrote:It's liam neeson isn't it? Qui-Gon Jinn in Star wars, amongst other roles.

Of all of the Liam Neeson roles, why would you choose the one from The Phantom Menace??
You could've had Taken, The A-Team, Darkman, The Grey, The Haunting, Unknown, Love Actually..
But The Phantom fucking Menace??

Gonna be honest, it was the first one of the films he's in that sprung to my head and was too tired to think of another. Plus it's an epic film

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:15 am

Applecore wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:I watched the '80s remake of The Blob, and Wes Craven's Shocker both for the umpteenth time the other night.

I quite like Shocker. It's by no means a great film, but it's fun enough. Fair bit of pilfering from Wes' more famous serial killer film of the same decade, though..

It was too much like he was trying to reinvent Freddy Krueger. Even so far as giving the killer a harmless sounding name like Horace.
Plus the body swapping thing got old really fast. The Hidden did that way better.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am

Avengers Assemble this week!

Looking forward to it now. I don't think I have ever seen a film attempt something like what this one is. Can't wait!
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!