movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Applecore
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 am

angel_of_death wrote:Finally watched Green Lantern the other day. A good contender for worst movie ever made, very close with Battle:Los Angeles in recent memory.
Also had the misfortune to sit through Drive Angry...not quite as bad as Green Lantern but close!

Saw Cars for the first time yesterday, really enjoyable, but I found the best bit was the credit sequence with the car versions of the Pixar films!

Green Lantern wasn't that bad! It's dumb but fun!
And Drive Angry is not a film to be taken seriously. It's basically just Nicolas Cage breaking out of Hell and kicking the shit out of people. Plus Amber Heard was there.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:33 am

Applecore wrote:It's basically just Nicolas Cage breaking out of Hell and kicking the shit out of people. Plus Amber Heard was there.

How have I not watched this yet.

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

Yeah I don't see how he thinks both Green Lantern and Drive Angry are bad, especially Drive Angry.

Actually.. I just remembered I downloaded the second one and haven't watched it yet (mostly because I expect it to be a disappointment after the first)

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 pm

Drive Angry is all types of awesome.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:05 pm

Applecore wrote:
angel_of_death wrote:Finally watched Green Lantern the other day. A good contender for worst movie ever made, very close with Battle:Los Angeles in recent memory.
Also had the misfortune to sit through Drive Angry...not quite as bad as Green Lantern but close!

Saw Cars for the first time yesterday, really enjoyable, but I found the best bit was the credit sequence with the car versions of the Pixar films!

Green Lantern wasn't that bad! It's dumb but fun!
And Drive Angry is not a film to be taken seriously. It's basically just Nicolas Cage breaking out of Hell and kicking the shit out of people. Plus Amber Heard was there.

Lol, obviously we'll have to disagree! I'm all for dumb fun, but Green Lantern was just plain awful, I can't really think of any redeeming features, couldn't even be bothered to get a fit female lead (Blake Lively is ok, but nothing special)
I'm willing to accept that Drive Angry may be a brain dead movie not to be taken seriously, but i think watching it back to back with Green Lantern probably just made it seem worse than it was. Felt like I was watching bedroom learner CGI for about 4 hours! Amber Heard was a redeeming feature though, so it had that over GL. It would have probably been a bit more fun in 3D too!

Looks like I may get to see Avengers this week after all as this baby is being stubborn and not coming yet :(

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:16 pm

I thought Green Lantern was dreadful. The only nice thing I can say about it was it wasn't the worst film with the word 'green' in the title released last year.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:30 pm

angel_of_death wrote:I'm willing to accept that Drive Angry may be a brain dead movie not to be taken seriously, but i think watching it back to back with Green Lantern probably just made it seem worse than it was. Felt like I was watching bedroom learner CGI for about 4 hours! Amber Heard was a redeeming feature though, so it had that over GL. It would have probably been a bit more fun in 3D too!

Ah, yeah I saw it at the cinema and then bought the DVD, so you could say I saw it at its full potential. But then I know lots of people who've seen it on DVD/downloaded and loved it. Could say it's not for everyone? Plus if you disliked Green Lantern that much then just about any film you watched straight after would be tarnished too.
Probably helped that I was drinking while watching Green Lantern.. :P
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Soze wrote:I thought Green Lantern was dreadful. The only nice thing I can say about it was it wasn't the worst film with the word 'green' in the title released last year.

I missed Green Hornet too...but surely it's not this bad!?

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Green Lantern was terrible. It just took a massive shit over the characters and made Hal Jordan look like he was awesome at everything, which he isn't in the books.

Green Lantern was ok at a push but I can't stand Seth Rogan though.

I'll agree with Craig over Drive Angry. It is a mindless action film that can't be taken seriously but it had some interesting deaths in it.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Just got back from seeing The Pirates! In an Adventure With Scientists! at the cinema.
Loved it.
It used the first two books as a jumping-off point, but then set about its own story, which in a way, I'm glad it did. Means I didn't have to get annoyed because they did this or that differently. Only thing that annoyed me was that Black Bellamy wasn't as described in the books in that his beard wasn't up to his eyeballs. But he was a minor character in the film, so it doesn't matter too much.
However, like the books, it kept a good balance between being family friendly and keeping in plenty of stuff for the adults, which is also typical of Aardman.
Would most likely go to see it again, or failing that pre-order the dvd/blu-ray!
9/10
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:00 pm

Just been to see The Avengers, first time I've been to the cinema on the release day of a new film since Return of the Jedi in 1983 :eyes:

It's everything I hoped for and more, I'll be amazed if any other summer blockbuster is this entertaining. Whilst the script itself is fairly typical comic book fare it's played with plenty of wit and each character gets plenty of opportunity to shine. Anyone who has grown up reading the comics will, I'm sure, love it.

I've also decided that Scarlett Johansson can have me whenever she wants. She just needs to give me the call. It's doubtful I'd take up much of her time.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:37 pm

Soze wrote:I've also decided that Scarlett Johansson can have me whenever she wants. She just needs to give me the call. It's doubtful I'd take up much of her time.

selling yourself a little short arent you?

im seeing it wednesday with some friends, so i took a quick look on wikipedia to see if ay other character had been revealed yet, and while there were no new additions, someone added who is in the post-credit scene which has annoyed me but also got me excited at the same time.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:52 pm

I already knew who was in the post credit scenes, had read it somewhere. It's not actually post credits as such, they show that scene just after listing who played the major parts, then it goes into the credits proper...much better than sitting in the cinema for 12 minutes or so!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 pm

Well Its not so much as a surprise as i read ages ago he might appear, and backs my theory about Loki's army, I just would have liked to see it. But then I dont know what he says or does though so i still have that when i see it.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:17 pm

They hinted at it in the end of Thor, if I recall correctly. It just didn't occur to me until I saw the big reveal after the film.

Which was stunning, by the way.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!