movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby someone else » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Just watched:

Heartless: Brit flick that tries to mix urban paranoia with a 'deal with the devil' fable, when a lonely disfigured lad gets more than he bargained for when making a pact to get his facial birthmark removed. Works to a point, but the demonic character is too corny. 6/10

Bad Lieutenant: New Orleans: No real connection to the controversial Harvey Keitel, but gets Nic Cage out into OTT teritory again. 7/10

Colombiana: antion flick that's fun even if over familiar 7/10

Killer Elite: where 'based on a true story' means 'complete bollocks' - it's based on a book by Rannulph Fiennes (the publication of which is in the film) but he's gone cagey about how factual it is, but its a sturdy 70s style B Movie about a group of spooks that are hired to take revenge on some SAS members who killed a sheik's sons. 6/10

The Crazies: Standard mutation flick, not seen the original so can't compare. 6/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Flak 38 wrote:Thought spiderman was an alright film.. better than the shite sam rami turned out

I thought the second film was fantastic, his take on it with Doc Oc was brilliant

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:
Flak 38 wrote:Thought spiderman was an alright film.. better than the shite sam rami turned out

I thought the second film was fantastic, his take on it with Doc Oc was brilliant

I concur. For a long time I rated it the best super hero movie ever. The Avengers takes that crown now. I saw the new Spiderman last night, really enjoyed it. It treads familiar ground obviously but has enough tweaks to keep it fresh. Garfield and Stone are both brilliant. No idea why some have slagged off the Lizard as a foe either, he was portrayed exactly as I remember him from the comics, ranting and wailing in the sewers, great stuff.

Watched War Horse tonight which was a load of hairy assed old shit.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:50 pm

Luke_X wrote:I think the Marvel films have blended in realism and real world scenarios well. They still have the comic book costumes and characters, just not to the point of corny.

I was saying this just the other day. They've been getting so good recently! And the Batman ones are doing the same kind of thing. Apparently the new Superman is going along the same track as well.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:28 am

I have high hopes for Man Of Steel (superman) especially as Zack Snyder is directing it which will mean nothing but fantastic visuals. I just hope that the story created by Nolan holds up like the batman films. The casting is nothing but amazing as well. Henry Cavill, Michael Shannon, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishbourne and Russel Crowe.

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:58 am

I'm really interested to see what they do with it, but apart from Batman I've never been a massive DC fan, so if it is shit I won't be too heartbroken. Still, Henry Cavill... Fap.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:00 am

I've never really liked Superman, nor Spiderman for that matter. Batman is awesome though, and I'll be going to see The Dark Kight Rises as soon as I can :D
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:20 am

I love that people could easily make a Justice League movie, since so few of the DC Universe characters have been bought for movie rights. Marvel has to deal with all this "SPIDERMAN BELONGS TO SONY AND WOLVERINE BELONGS TO PARAMOUNT" crap, when DC just has Superman, Batman and Green lantern. They can make a movie easily enough since they have so many characters to work with.

Though to be fair, A Justice League movie would suck balls. But thats not the point.

Also I saw Pineapple Express for the first time. It was amazing. But fuck me was it weird. :lol:
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:42 pm

Luke_X wrote:I have high hopes for Man Of Steel (superman) especially as Zack Snyder is directing it which will mean nothing but fantastic visuals.

Fuck visuals. Avatar was "nothing but fantastic visuals" and that was shit.
I'd like a good story and a clever script please.

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:58 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
Luke_X wrote:I have high hopes for Man Of Steel (superman) especially as Zack Snyder is directing it which will mean nothing but fantastic visuals.

Suckerpunch was directed by Zack Snyder, had fantastic visuals and was shit!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:02 pm

angel_of_death wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:

Suckerpunch was directed by Zack Snyder, had fantastic visuals and was shit!

Yes but he isnt writing the script, Christopher Nolan wrote the story. So I think just to say it will be shit cas Snyder is directing is stupid. He is really a very visual director. Just look at 300 and Watchmen.

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:11 pm

It'll be shit quite simply because it's Superman, the most dull superhero of all time.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 6:22 pm

He is my least fav hero to be honest

As for Avatar, I actually thought it was a really good action film, seen it all before in Dances With Wolves mind you, but looked amazing, had great action scenes, wasn't brainless, it actually told a good story, and had good acting I thought too

But is it the best movie of all time, Hell NO :lol:

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:35 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:But is it the best movie of all time, Hell NO :lol:

What is everyone's favourite movie of all time? I'm sure it's been asked before but hey ho. I have half a dozen or so I'd have a hard time choosing between...the first 2 Star Wars films, Mulholland Drive, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Life of Brian, Lord of the Rings and any of the Romero Dead trilogy.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:46 pm

I don't really have a favourite, and I'm not really a film buff either so I'll put a shortlist of The Life of Brian, The Matrix, Forrest Gump, The Dark Knight, Bad Taste(for sheer laugh factor), Full Metal Jacket and The Lord of The Rings. Amongst others :lol:
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London