The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:07 pm

I'm about 5 chapters into Atlas Shrugged. The fifth chapter was beyond parody. Total elitist claptrap, especially the parts going on about how some people are better than everyone else at everything and don't have any flaws and never have any difficulty doing anything.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Yeah, it's very idealistic to say the least. I think I mentioned before, I enjoy the fact that it makes me think, but not necessarily in agreement.

My only criticism would be I found it a bit anticlimactic. It's like the first 800 pages are leading up to something and once it happens it seems very unspectacular and almost rushed when put in contrast with the scope of the rest of the book.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Rwand
Warrior of Metal

Postby Rwand » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:24 am

I'v recently downloaded fifty shades of grey after hearing quite abit about it and wondering what the fuss was about..but then my kindle broke :ugh:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:37 pm

that's a sign ;) everything i've seen of it shows it to be very poorly written. basically women only like it cause its got sex.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:17 pm

ribbons69 wrote:Have you read Times Without Number ? Great book with an alternative take on Time Travel.

I'm not normally a fan of books featuring time travel, but I'd recommend AE van Vogt's "The weapon makers" and "The weapon shops of Isher". Along with most of the rest of his work, actually.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Rwand
Warrior of Metal

Postby Rwand » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:53 pm

CrappyMike wrote:that's a sign ;) everything i've seen of it shows it to be very poorly written. basically women only like it cause its got sex.

There's loads of books out there with sex in them if thats what they're looking for they just have to look in the right places. There's mills and blooms but they're more romances. :P

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Rwand wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:that's a sign ;) everything i've seen of it shows it to be very poorly written. basically women only like it cause its got sex.

There's loads of books out there with sex in them if thats what they're looking for they just have to look in the right places. There's mills and blooms but they're more romances. :P

I downloaded the sample, then the whole book to make sure. It truely is an utterly terrible book, with some of the worst, and creepiest, writing I have ever encountered. I worry for anyone at all who can say it is at all titillating.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:11 pm

thehairyone wrote:
Rwand wrote:

I downloaded the sample, then the whole book to make sure. It truely is an utterly terrible book, with some of the worst, and creepiest, writing I have ever encountered. I worry for anyone at all who can say it is at all titillating.

The best thing about it is the parody potential:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K1RcKJVbHA

http://youtu.be/i9G0XFVBVuI

http://youtu.be/leT-4Y1l7NY
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

fitz
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby fitz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:32 pm

Well, finished Neuromancer. Thought it was good in places but not as spectacular as a lot of reviews make it out to be. Maybe you had to be there at the time.... or really into sci-fi literature! Found it difficult to keep up with all the terminology and Gibson's descriptions of places and settings in the book were not clear most of the time, but maybe that's just me being dull. But on the whole the tech and characters were sufficiently developed, and a few of them were pretty cool.

Could really benefit with an index of terms and what they mean (maybe the latest editions do have that I don't know). Wasn't all bad though, I could see where The Matrix and the like got a lot of influences from anyway. I think I might read it again someday, but next time I'll wiki what half the technology and stuff IS before I start reading it again. Phew.

Anyway, started reading Haruki Murakami's 'Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World', and I have to admit so far, so good! Really like his writing style, even if it is translated from the original Japanese.
They say the pen is mightier than the sword... well, I say fuck the pen! Cause you're gonna die by the sword!

Drian and Amz
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Drian and Amz » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:46 pm

re-reading naked lunch. now im a bit older I have a slightly better chance at being able to understand what the fuck is going on. still just as grim as i remembered

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:54 pm

fitz wrote:Anyway, started reading Haruki Murakami's 'Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World', and I have to admit so far, so good! Really like his writing style, even if it is translated from the original Japanese.

Good call. I think the translators have put a lot of effort into preserving his style for the English versions (and possibly other languages) as it seems essential to the stories themselves if you get what I mean.

2 chapters in to 50 Shades of Grey and its making me angry.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:20 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:Finally finished Atlas Shrugged. Only took me a year an a half. Though to be fair I did read a third last week, so I'f I had put my mind to it, it would have been over a lot quicker.

I have to say chapter 27's 56 page monologue was one of the most difficult things I've ever read. Simply because it's unrelenting, paragraph after paragraph of speech. No directions, no movements, no reactions, no descriptions, just 56 pages in very small print of one man talking.

I won't give too much away as I think it was metalbeast said he wanted to read it.

My next book is going to be SE Hinton's The Outsiders. Hopefully this won't take quite as long.

the outsiders is really good. i had to read it for english at school and expected to hate it like the rest of the books we had to read, but it was one of the few i enjoyed.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:04 pm

CrappyMike wrote:expected to hate it like the rest of the books we had to read, but it was one of the few i enjoyed.

Did anybody else find that? You as a general rule didn't enjoy things you had to read, but then if you read them afterwards they were a lot better?

Exceptions for me included most of the Shakespeare we studied (except Romeo and Juliet, because I can't stand that play), Dracula and the Canterbury Tales, because I thought they were quite good fun.
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:32 pm

Littlemissmetal wrote:Did anybody else find that? You as a general rule didn't enjoy things you had to read, but then if you read them afterwards they were a lot better?

Not really. I didn't much like any of the books we had to read, with the exception of "The hobbit" and "The Otterbury incident", and in both cases, I liked them from the outset.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:01 am

keera_envenomed wrote:
fitz wrote:Anyway, started reading Haruki Murakami's 'Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World', and I have to admit so far, so good! Really like his writing style, even if it is translated from the original Japanese.

Good call. I think the translators have put a lot of effort into preserving his style for the English versions (and possibly other languages) as it seems essential to the stories themselves if you get what I mean.

2 chapters in to 50 Shades of Grey and its making me angry.

I have nothing but praise for 50 Shades. My girlfriend is halfway through the second one,and it has achieved two things. Firstly it keeps her quiet on the sofa all night,and secondly,when we go up to bed she is like a bitch on heat!
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise