movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
thepinkhat
Definitely Not Nu

Re: movies

Postby thepinkhat » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:59 pm

I am trying to find somewhere showing Dredd in 2D as I have a problem with the muscles in one of my eyes just now and 3D movies with glasses was an issue the Doc warned me about that it would just give me a headache and make me nauseous.
Saw Avengers at last though!!!! I really enjoyed it, some PIS in there though which made no sense but you have to expect that in any super hero movie. Couldn't figure out why dropping the big glass prison thingy from 30,000ft would be any kind of threat to super durable characters like the Hulk or Thor though, considering these kind of impacts are way less than their normal punch ups? Plot device I know but still silly. Would like to see more Widow action though, maybe a SHIELD movie with Fury, Hawkeye and Black Widow.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:23 pm

thepinkhat wrote:I am trying to find somewhere showing Dredd in 2D as I have a problem with the muscles in one of my eyes just now and 3D movies with glasses was an issue the Doc warned me about that it would just give me a headache and make me nauseous.
Saw Avengers at last though!!!! I really enjoyed it, some PIS in there though which made no sense but you have to expect that in any super hero movie. Couldn't figure out why dropping the big glass prison thingy from 30,000ft would be any kind of threat to super durable characters like the Hulk or Thor though, considering these kind of impacts are way less than their normal punch ups? Plot device I know but still silly. Would like to see more Widow action though, maybe a SHIELD movie with Fury, Hawkeye and Black Widow.

Well it wouldn't have made any impact on Hulk as they don't know how indestructible he is yet. Thor however would have easily been killed if he stayed in there as he is quite destructible. He may be powerful but he is just as vulnerable as any human. The SHIELD tv series will shed more on their more background stories in the film. Black Widow and Hawkeye are no where near big enough to warrant their own movies, but I'd expect more of them in the other hero films as Black Widow was Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye was in Thor.

However, Marvel have said we may see another Hulk film after Avengers 2. Kevin Feige even said they were toying with developing the World War Hulk and Planet Hulk stories and they are pushing into a more galaxy wide universe as they will be showing all 9 realms in Thor: Dark World.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Watched a couple of flicks this afternoon....

Moonrise Kingdom, a rather pleasant, quirky tale of a couple of mis-understood kids on an island near New England who run off with each other and cause a kerfuffle. It's got a stellar cast...Bruce Willis, Bill Murray, Ed Norton, Frances McDormand, Harvey Keitel, Tilda Swinton...although most of the screen time is given to the two young children. Enjoyable stuff.

The Dictator - which really disappointed me. I'm a fan of both Borat and to a lesser extent Bruno and loved the original 10 O clock show Ali G skits. But this was boring and raised very few laughs. Come the half way point I was only half watching it.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Luke_X wrote:
thepinkhat wrote:I am trying to find somewhere showing Dredd in 2D as I have a problem with the muscles in one of my eyes just now and 3D movies with glasses was an issue the Doc warned me about that it would just give me a headache and make me nauseous.

Well it wouldn't have made any impact on Hulk as they don't know how indestructible he is yet. Thor however would have easily been killed if he stayed in there as he is quite destructible. He may be powerful but he is just as vulnerable as any human. The SHIELD tv series will shed more on their more background stories in the film. Black Widow and Hawkeye are no where near big enough to warrant their own movies, but I'd expect more of them in the other hero films as Black Widow was Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye was in Thor.

However, Marvel have said we may see another Hulk film after Avengers 2. Kevin Feige even said they were toying with developing the World War Hulk and Planet Hulk stories and they are pushing into a more galaxy wide universe as they will be showing all 9 realms in Thor: Dark World.

We can haz Marvel Zombies now? kthxbai
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:36 pm

MetalBeast wrote:
Luke_X wrote:

Well it wouldn't have made any impact on Hulk as they don't know how indestructible he is yet. Thor however would have easily been killed if he stayed in there as he is quite destructible. Hoe may be powerful but he is just as vulnerable as any human. The SHIELD tv series will shed more on their more background stories in the film. Black Widow and Hawkeye are no where near big enough to warrant their own movies, but I'd expect more of them in the other hero films as Black Widow was Iron Man 2 and Hawkeye was in Thor.

We can haz Marvel Zombies now? kthxbai

As awesome as it would be to see the Zombie storyline, marvel don't have the rights to 3 important groups/characters in that story, X-Men, Fantastic four and Spiderman. I think if they do manage to get Avengers 3 going, Civil War is the most likely crossover to be used.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 am

Warrior.

MMA. Alcoholic Nick Nolte. Tom Hardy being buff as fuck. Drama. Family. Tears.

9/10.

I ejaculated tears of manly joy and love.

thepinkhat
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thepinkhat » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:57 am

Luke_X wrote:

I don't get how Thor is as vulnarable as any human considering Iron Man kicked him through a tree and speed blitz punched him in the face. He also took a couple of hefty licks off the Hulk. Loki is meant to be nowhere near as durable as Thor and yet even after the pounding he got off the Hulk, the explosive arrow detonating in his face, lots of direct gunshots, repuslor blasts from Iron Man and being hit by the SHIELD version of the Destroyer beam he was pretty much unscathed and at the end of the movie there wasn't a mark on him.

Not sure how close they are keeping things to the comics and admittedly it is a few years since I have read any Thor comics but he quite happily took major impacts off the likes of Silver Surfer, Surtur, Hulk, Hercules, Mephisto etc without too much bother. Even seen him go toe to toe with Galactus but drifting off into geekdom now so will wander off.

Saw Looper, interesting but I think I need to watch it again but I did enjoy it.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:36 am

Well as I said he is a strong character but he can still be killed. Where as Hulk, not so easy to kill, in fact i don't think he has ever been killed (except in the Marvel Zombie universe).

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:59 am

Jobdone wrote:Warrior.

9/10.

I thought it was awful myself. It was like the most predictable storyline ever, and all the fight scenes were shit.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

JRP1349
Powermetal Child

Postby JRP1349 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:28 am

VirginInvader wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Warrior.

9/10.

I thought it was awful myself. It was like the most predictable storyline ever, and all the fight scenes were shit.

I enjoyed it, cliched and predictable but entertaining nonetheless plus it has Kurt Angle as a Russian in it!

Recently saw KILLING THEM SOFTLY, superb film, probably one of my favourite of the year, about a mob run poker game that is robbed by two bumbling drug addled crooks. The mob bring in hitman, Cogan (Brad Pitt) to clean up and sort out the mess, and what we get is a tale of low life criminal activity and a corporate mafia, cleaning up all the loose ends, set to the backdrop of the banking crisis and US presidential election of 2008. Excellent film!
"You know what really grinds my gears, you America....fucccckkk you!"

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Alien Nation.

Buddy cop movie watched only because my mate found the Buddy Cop movie page on Wikipedia and picked the one that looked interested.

2 years after aliens land and are integrated into society, and a racist cop whos partner just got killed by aliens is paired up with an alien. Bonding, 80s cop music, shooting, good alien make up, a mysterious drug, and loads of shit like that.

Bit of a sideboob too.

Considering I'd never heard of it before, rather good.

7/10.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Jobdone wrote:Alien Nation.

Buddy cop movie watched only because my mate found the Buddy Cop movie page on Wikipedia and picked the one that looked interested.

2 years after aliens land and are integrated into society, and a racist cop whos partner just got killed by aliens is paired up with an alien. Bonding, 80s cop music, shooting, good alien make up, a mysterious drug, and loads of shit like that.

Bit of a sideboob too.

Considering I'd never heard of it before, rather good.

7/10.

The film is awesome, but if I remember right, the tv series wasn't as good.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 am

LAKE PLACID 4 - THE FINAL CHAPTER

Another day, another cheap and cheesy sequel made for the SyFy Channel. This time we have a ridiculous amount of killer crocs munching their way through a bunch of wooden actors you'll most likely never hear from ever again as they get trapped inside an electrified nature reserve designed to keep the crocs away from humans.

For a cheaply made TV space filler, this time we do actually have a smattering of semi-recognisable faces amongst the woefully inept CGI and the padded out running time.
There's Elizabeth Rohm, who you may have seen in the first couple of seasons of Buffy spin-off series, Angel, before her character was dumped because she was rubbish.
We also have Yancy Butler from... the previous Lake Placid film. Yay.
Then there's Paul Nicholls who used to play a northern nutter on Eastenders, and even more bizarrely (and still playing a cop), The Bill's very own Reg Hollis!
As usual there's a big B-Movie name to draw the interest, and for the millionth time, that billing is taken by Freddy Krueger himself, Robert Englund.
Unfortunately, this time, we don't have a naked Roxanne Pallett to keep our, er... interest up so things get dull really fast and you'll probably be better off just skipping to the death scenes.

3/10

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 am

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:14 am

Watched Chronicle earlier, was quite disappointed really it kind of bored me and the whole story line or whatever you want to call it was poor in my opinion