movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:03 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ Green Man.

JRP1349
Powermetal Child

Postby JRP1349 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:20 am

Any Manchester folk into horror films at all, then Grimm up north is this coming weekend.....
http://grimmfest.com/grimmupnorth/

There starting tonight at the Stockport Plaza with a double bill of American Mary and Sinister, both excellent films, then the festival kicks off proper tomorrow evening. Probably going down for the Saturday as theres a lot on in the main theatre that i havent seen (apart from Devil Rides Out), and also pop by to see Basket Case on sunday!
"You know what really grinds my gears, you America....fucccckkk you!"

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Saw Looper and The Campaign last night.

The Campaign was really funny. Will Ferrell doing what he does best.

Looper was very enjoyable, although a lot of the time-travel stuff was REALLY badly thought out.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:43 pm

jamestomo wrote:Watched Chronicle earlier, was quite disappointed really it kind of bored me and the whole story line or whatever you want to call it was poor in my opinion

I liked it except I was pissed off that after paying to rent it off the TV they then released an "extended version". My guess, the second version is probably better and has the scene that's in the trailer where they girl loses her clothes but I don't want to pay double just to see the proper version of the film. Those fuckheads should have just put up the full version in the first place. :x

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:11 pm

PIRANHACONDA

No, you're not dreaming. There really is a film out there (made for the SyFy Channel naturally) called Piranhaconda.
And you know what?
It's actually good (comparatively speaking of course).

It's a cheap, stupid conveyor belt monster flick that knows it's a cheap, stupid conveyor belt monster flick and plays to its strengths. The acting, although generally bad, is enthusiastic, fun, and occasionally comically deadpan which makes all the difference. The writing has the same attributes, and the direction is so fast paced you simply don't have the time to get bored.

In the first five minutes, Professor (yes, Professor) Michael Madsen sees somebody chomped to death and his reaction is to roll his eyes, look away from the camera and facepalm. Lovely stuff.
The increasingly jowly Rachel Hunter gets to utter the immortal line "you mean a Piranhaconda" with nary a flicker of emotion, while her baddie boss just looks at the camera and says "I can't believe you just said that".
The monster effects are as plentiful as they are rubbish but the film is such good dumb fun you really don't mind.

The made for TV Lake Placid sequels should all look to this film to see how it should be done. I haven't been this entertained by a SyFy monster film since Mega Python vs Gatoroid.
And that's actually a recommendation.

7/10

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:19 pm

Jobdone wrote:Warrior.

MMA. Alcoholic Nick Nolte. Tom Hardy being buff as fuck. Drama. Family. Tears.

9/10.

I ejaculated tears of manly joy and love.

Great film indeed.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 pm

Luke_X wrote:Well as I said he is a strong character but he can still be killed. Where as Hulk, not so easy to kill, in fact i don't think he has ever been killed (except in the Marvel Zombie universe).

Thor and Loki are both gods, and would take a lot to kill. Loki in particular, as from what I've read, he's basically immortal.

Captain America there's weakest link, as he is as vunerable as any human. On that note, I was dissappointed Captain America has such a low role in The Avengers movie, he's meant to be there leader, but they made Iron Man the leader cos everyone bums Robert Downey Jr.

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:15 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Luke_X wrote:Well as I said he is a strong character but he can still be killed. Where as Hulk, not so easy to kill, in fact i don't think he has ever been killed (except in the Marvel Zombie universe).

Thor and Loki are both gods, and would take a lot to kill. Loki in particular, as from what I've read, he's basically immortal.

Captain America there's weakest link, as he is as vunerable as any human. On that note, I was dissappointed Captain America has such a low role in The Avengers movie, he's meant to be there leader, but they made Iron Man the leader cos everyone bums Robert Downey Jr.

Well in timeline terms, Cap is only just unfrozen and still adjusting. From what they've said of Winter Soldier, that will be dealing more with him coming to terms with the new present and will obviously feature a lot of Shield. So it may tackle him being the leader as well. Although, in the main film, Fury came across as the leader although Cap does take the leadership role during the final battle when ordering them what to do and ordering Black Window to close the gateway.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:13 pm

ARACHNOQUAKE

An earthquake unleashes thousands of spiders on an unsuspecting small town.
Giant fluffy white/pink spiders that gestate in your neck, can walk on water, and fart fire through their mouths.
Oh, and Edward (Terminator 2) Furlong is in it.
He's shit.

1/10

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 pm

Is Arachnoquake meant to be tongue in cheek?

Doesn't look it, just looks shit.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:23 am

MetalBeast wrote:Is Arachnoquake meant to be tongue in cheek?

Doesn't look it, just looks shit.

Sort of, but it even fails at that.
It's like SyFy Channel Russian Roulette with these films. :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Killing Them Softly - same lead and director of the pretentious yawn fest Assassination of Jesse James... didn't bode well, but it's a more enjoyable film with a suitably grimey look, great cast and over-ripe dialogue, even if the pseudo high minded bits are clumsy and scream 'AREN'T I CLEVER' - 7/10

Any Given Sunday - schlocky, predicatbale American football saga, but a good cast and Al Pacino and James Woods chewing up the scenery. The scenes of burly men growling at each other are a little camp tho' 7/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:33 pm

So... me and a house mate have been on the gas a few hours, so have decided to watch a shit 90's film and play a drinking game with it..... we've gone for good burger :L

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:43 am

someone else wrote:
Any Given Sunday - schlocky, predicatbale American football saga, but a good cast and Al Pacino and James Woods chewing up the scenery. The scenes of burly men growling at each other are a little camp tho' 7/10

My fav sports film, Cameron Diaz is fantastic in that film, a completely different role that you would never think she could pull off :yes:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 pm

Major League>>>>>>Any Given Sunday