movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Luke_X
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Luke_X » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Justice League Doom - quick synopsis: Mirror Man breaks into Batman's cave, steals his list on how to 'deal' with the justice league, super villains then attack justice league, assume they won, then justice league beats them up. Ok there was a lot more going on than that but it was pretty decent. The animation flowed well and was a nice show off of Cyborg. Featuring the usual voice talents of Tim Daly (superman) and Kevin Conroy (batman) and Nathan Fillon back as Green Lantern (its as close as we will get to seeing him in the role at this rate). All in all 7/10

Superman/Batman Apocalypse - simply put down as Superman being broody over his newly discovered cousin, Batman not trusting her, and Wonder Woman showing up simply to just beat up the female villains. A well thought out and animated film. It touches on some things we may see in Man of Steel next year. Hopefully this is a Darkseid will eventually appear in a Superman film. 8/10

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:44 pm

Darkweasel wrote:KILL LIST
Domestic drama turns into a hitman thriller turns into a horror film turns into utter f**king drivel which makes no sense to anybody.
5/10

I was quite enjoying it until the last 15 minutes or so...then it just went random...and like you said makes no sense!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Men in Black 3 - not as dark as the first film but a lot more entertaining than the second. Plenty of jokes but still seemed quite played down for a more childish audience. The story seemed well played out and laying foundation for the fourth film. Josh Brolin did an amazing job playing Tommy Lee Jones, and as much as is like him to appear again it isn't likely. A solid 7.5/10

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:31 pm

Darkweasel wrote:KILL LIST
Domestic drama turns into a hitman thriller turns into a horror film turns into utter f**king drivel which makes no sense to anybody.
5/10

Yeah - every review mentioned the wicker man which pretty much gave the ending away. There are some very lofty, film studenty explainations for it on the web.

Just watched Cool Hand Luke for the first time on ages. Great film.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:36 pm

Watching Harry Potter for the first time ever.

This is turning into one fucked up final year of uni here.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I was bored enough to watch a movie called Butter.

It was mostly crap, but has Olivia Wilde playing a foul-mouthed, bi-sexual stripper & bending over a lot in tight shorts. I must admit the rest of the film became a blur.....

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:16 pm

ish42 wrote:
Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:I was bored enough to watch a movie called Butter.

It was mostly crap, but has Olivia Wilde playing a foul-mouthed, bi-sexual stripper & bending over a lot in tight shorts. I must admit the rest of the film became a blur.....

Wipe it off the screen then.

:lol:

The world is a better place, with double entendre.

Useless fact : Olivia Wildes original surname is Cockburn. :eyes:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Lovefilm automatically restarted it self after a pay freeze...we figured we may aswell keep it going as since we froze the account we've spend a fortune on Blu-Rays!
Anyway, we had Carnage and My Week with Marilyn come through the post.

Carnage - Roman Polanskis film about two couples (John C. O'Reilly, Jodi Foster, Kate Winslet and Christoph Waltz) meeting to discuss a fight between their sons that left one of them apparently disfigured. What starts off as a amicable discussion and agreement over where the blame lies quickly descends into all out carnage as both marriages slowly fall apart. Great performances all round, my only real gripe is that the ending is a bit sudden.

My Week With marilyn - Based on an apparent true story about a young man who desperately wants to get into the movie business, so he hassles Lawrence Olivier for a job on the production of The Princess and the Showgirl, where he forms a relationship with a fragile Marilyn Monroe. The film overall was ok, the performances were strong, but I think it was ultimately unremarkable and forgettable.

On Netflix, we also watched Being Elmo - Documentary about Kevin Clash, the guy behind Sesame Streets (and worldwide superstar) Elmo. Interesting story about his childhood, and his determination in getting to be a part of Jim Hensons team of muppeteers. No challenging content, but it is a short but heart warming story!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:32 pm

Killer Joe - grimey, nasty, blackly comic slab of trailer park gothic: In order to pay of some thugs, a family plots to bump off the estranged mother to collect an insurance pay off, and hire Matthew MacConahay to do it, only he wants paying in advance. Without money, they give their teenage daughter to him as a retainer. MacConahay takes another big leap away from rom-com hell with a bold turn as the hit man who takes over the family, and his courtship of the naive girl is creepy. The wheels fall off in the final reel of noir-standard double and triple crosses, and it feels like a 'first film to make my name' rather than the work of an old hand (Willian Freidkin of Exorcist and French Connection fame), but its memorable, even if you may need to shower afterwards. 7/10
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:43 am

Leon the Professional.

One of the greatest movies I have ever watched. From the plot to the cinematography to the acting to the characters to the music to the explosions and action sequences.

Truly fantastic, truly interesting, truly beautiful.

10/10.

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 am

Jobdone wrote:Leon the Professional.

One of the greatest movies I have ever watched. From the plot to the cinematography to the acting to the characters to the music to the explosions and action sequences.

10/10.

Easily one of the best movies ever!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:45 am

Listened to the new Smodcast, Kevin Smith got a screener for Cloud Atlas.

Wasn't paying attention before, but he described some of plotlines and what it's about.

Sounds fucking amazing. Really hyped for it now.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:18 pm

ollie123w wrote:
Jobdone wrote:Leon the Professional.

10/10.

Easily one of the best movies ever!

Yeah, Leon's superb. Even my mum likes that film and she usually hates action films.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:59 pm

Saw Jason Becker: Not Dead Yet last night. Very good documentary. It was a pity that David Lee Roth and Peter Marino didn't take part. For some reason they blurred out Peter Marino's face in group footage of Cacophony.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:36 am

Watched London Boulevard tonight. Wasn't sure what to expect, but ended up really enjoying it.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin