A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: A driving thread

Postby Azubi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Tempted to get a new car and noticed an advert for Arnold Clark selling a Renalt Megane I like the look of for an alright price, only thing is I would rather save myself three and a half grand and pay it out right instead of through finance. I've sent off an call back request about it but does anyone know if they would let me do that?
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm

I need some advice!

My dad is getting a new car and I'm taking over the old car. I'm already insured on it, and I've been driving it since March 2011 when I passed my test, but I need to transfer the insurance over so it's in my name.

What I want to know is, is it worth waiting until next March so I've been driving for 2 years? I think I remember someone telling me it's cheaper then. And what website is best to find the right insurance? etc

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:41 pm

Insurance premiums don't change until you're 25 I don't think. But it'll depend on insurer to insurer.

As far as websites to find 'right insurance', just try all the comparison sites. Make sure you select fully comprehensive, and put the most you can afford in voluntary excess.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:43 pm

Premiums are altered on the amount of driving experience you have, amongst other things, so yes you'll probably find the premium to be a bit cheaper when you hit the 2 year mark. Thats not guaranteed though, as premiums are also affected by the state of the industry that year, i.e. how many claims there have been.
Last edited by Johnny Tightlips on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:44 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:Premiums are altered on the amount of driving experience you have, amongst other things, so yes you'll probably find the premium to be a bit cheaper when you hit the 2 year mark.

Just don't get points, they hurt :(

I had my Megane 8 years, did 136,000 miles in her, didn't miss a beat, well until the gearbox fell off the mount driving down the motorway that is :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Also, don't forget that adding named drivers will usually lower the premium, but only if they have a clean license. Always worth trying though as you can get big reductions sometimes and it makes no difference if they never intend to drive the car.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:47 pm

The compare sites are always good though, and you'll be amazed at just how much some companies charge for insurance, the smaller names are not always the lowest either
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:55 pm

One last thing, although you'll hear horror stories about all insurers (I had a bad claims experience, and was left stranded on the M4 at midnight, with More Than), the only insurer I've come across which is universally panned by other insurers, car hire companies and recovery companies is SwiftCover, so don't bother with them if you can help it.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:59 pm

I'm with SwiftCover now, they are cheap that's why i'm with them, 8 points and a driving conviction you go for what you can get sadly

I can't recommend LV highly enough though, when I had my accident they had my car picked up and assessed in 48 hours, Premium went up to over £1000 for the renewal though, hence why i'm no longer with them, but for professionalism and speed, I can't fault them

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:11 pm

Cheers guys! I'll give a few different websites a go

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:28 pm

Andy, why do you have several new accounts?

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

siliconfury wrote:Insurance premiums don't change until you're 25 I don't think. But it'll depend on insurer to insurer.

As far as websites to find 'right insurance', just try all the comparison sites. Make sure you select fully comprehensive, and put the most you can afford in voluntary excess.

I've never been on fully comp, it's way too expensive for me and to be fair the only reason you would really need it is if you had an expensive car.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:37 pm

I've been very glad of fully comp insurance, having been involved in 3 accidents. Out of interest, what sort of value of car would you consider fully comp insurance?

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:49 pm

Azubi wrote:Andy, why do you have several new accounts?

I got bored :lol:

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:50 pm

Azubi wrote:I've been very glad of fully comp insurance, having been involved in 3 accidents. Out of interest, what sort of value of car would you consider fully comp insurance?

unless it was like a £200 banger I would always go fully comp