The Wrestling Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Re: The Wrestling Thread

Postby Andy Hall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:08 pm

Yeah me too, good wrestler :yes:

I just think Cessaro is awesome at the moment though, and Ziggler could end up being the next big thing too, he is getting over big time, and has improved so much the past 2 years that even I now enjoy his matches, and I hated him :|
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Just like me, I used to hate Ziggler when he first arrived, now I find myself egging him on, I think in Brooklyn he had more people cheer him on than Cena did. Also, watched the Slammy Awards last night, Triple H: "You have not seen the last of The Undertaker".

Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas as to who is going to be his opponent this Wrestlemania as I'm pretty sure he's not going to come back to Raw/Smackdown.
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:38 pm

I think Ziggler has had to prove everyone wrong after that stupid spirit squad gimmick he first came in with. He's perfect though, everything you need to be a popular heel champion.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:57 pm

Also, Smackdown is on tonight, special no advert break show. Keen for that.
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:40 pm

xBERSERKERx wrote:Also, Smackdown is on tonight, special no advert break show. Keen for that.

Bet you it'll be full of product placements though :lol:
Upcoming Gigs

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:45 pm

To be fair, I won't be surprised, I think Wrestling is going through a transition, there is so many possibilities of heel wrestlers turning face and vice versa. There is plenty of new wrestlers coming in. WWE NXT is pretty decent as well!

ThrashMetalLad
Lowly Peon

Postby ThrashMetalLad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Wasnt expecting the Flair/Outlaws/Simons appearences on Raw but very plesent surprises

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:So Ryback is getting too many Goldberg chants, so they've bought in Big E Langston, who is going to get Goldberg chants, great idea WWE :rolleyes:

I'm hoping more for "Ry-Black" instead :lol:

Looks like I was right!

If Vince and H's bodybuilder fetish means there perpetually has to be a boring big guy in the main event picture then I hope Big E does replace Ryback as he's considerably less boring and doesn't no sell like a total dickhead. Plus, he's probably safer to work with than Ryback (I still think than on Sunday if he had've let Rollins use his own momentum instead of dragging him off the ladder one handed then all 4 tables would've broke not 2.) The finish of the Cesaro vs Ryback match on Raw seems to suggest as well they're pushing Ryback back to the midcard now, where he'll probably cease to be over once people realise he can't wrestle a competitive match to save his life. The piss-taking of Albert on the Slammies as well might suggest his contract is nearly up and Ryback will take over as resident mid-card powerhouse.

xBERSERKERx wrote:To be fair, I won't be surprised, I think Wrestling is going through a transition, there is so many possibilities of heel wrestlers turning face and vice versa. There is plenty of new wrestlers coming in. WWE NXT is pretty decent as well!

See my theory for a while now has been that the old definitions of heel and face are redundant because of how you can be a heel but loved even to the point of getting huge pop (case in point- Dolph Ziggler) or a traditional face but get booed like hell by up to half if not more of the audience (i.e. Cena). I know this is hardly a new thing (take Piper who was loved as a heel, or Hogan who was starting to get hostile crowds for about a year before the NWO storyline), but post-Stonecold Steve Austin (the archetypal tweener) the business has been slow to catch up with what audiences want I think. This is why I don't want them to turn Ziggler into a traditional face because it'll ruin him. Another case in point is in Ring Of Honor recently, where Cornette is still stuck in a time machine when it comes to heels and faces. It feels like he desperately wants people to hate Kevin Steen by giving him the gimmick of coming back to destroy the whole company, yet when Steen shoots on ROH and everyone in it the roof gets blown off more than anytime since Punk's leaving match. Ideally I think everyone should be somewhere between a face and a heel- it gives a lot more scope for good storylines than the simple good/evil, david/goliath same old shit that we get from Cena.

I agree 100% about the new talent though, and nearly all from the best indie promotions too. I can't wait to see the 2 world title pictures in a few years if they have Punk, Bryan, Rollins, Ambrose, Ohno and Cesaro as the top guys. So much 5 star match potential right there.
Upcoming Gigs

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:55 am

Cesaro continues to fail to impress me. Not that he's bad, he's just boring, on the mic and in the ring. His finisher is awful.
also, cena winning superstar of the year was ridiculous. Punk was clearl not going to win although he was the real superstar of the year, but cena should not even have been nominated, he's had a shit year :lol:

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:49 pm

CrappyMike wrote:Cesaro continues to fail to impress me. Not that he's bad, he's just boring, on the mic and in the ring. His finisher is awful.

His finisher isn't that bad, I just wish if they were going to say it's the same as Karl Gotch's finisher they'd let him do it properly and make it a cradle piledriver not a cradle facebuster. Even as it is I still think it looks good when he deadlifts his opponent off the mat into it, especially when they're bigger than him. The Swissblade is probably a better move for him to use as a finisher (kind of like a torture rack driver) but given the stories about Cena bullying Tyler Reks into stopping using the Burning Hammer as his finisher I wouldn't be surprised if he's done the same to Cesaro.
Upcoming Gigs

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:14 pm

Oh well just me that likes him then :lol:
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Wrestling logic: Only in Rey Mysterio matches do wrestlers fall to the second rope, chair shots only happen to body parts and not the head, clear the announce table before you send someone through it.

They made me chuckle.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Any sign of Adrian Neville (aka PAC, real name Benjamin Satterly) in NXT yet?
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:10 am

I also think Cesaro is awesome, everything is so brilliantly deliberate with him. Also his finisher is made better by the fact that he basically deadlifts them. He's so freaking strong.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 am

MetalBeast wrote:Any sign of Adrian Neville (aka PAC, real name Benjamin Satterly) in NXT yet?

Let's hope so, the guy can float :lol: