TV: Current and Recent

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: TV: Current and Recent

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:17 pm

I don't know if comedy is an age thing...I'm around the same age as Darkweasel IIRC and in complete agreement with him. I can't remember the last comedy show I made a point of watching regularly and almost all of my favourites are from years ago*. Is it that no-one is being funny any more or that I just don't identify with new, young comedians? Or could it just be that I'm not looking in the right places?

The UK shows that have made me laugh the most over the years are Black Adder, Alan Partridge, Father Ted, Spaced, Vic and Bob, Python, pretty much anything with Ronnie Barker, League of Gentlemen and The Young Ones. I enjoyed the first 2 series of The Mighty Boosh but not the third (Fielding's solo show was appalling).

*I can now I've thought of it...Psychoville. Although that wasn't made by any one new, it was half of League of Gentlemen.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

*Sort of Spoiler*

Finally got round to Eastbound and Down season 3, found it hilarious apart from the lame ending

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:39 pm

I've said this before but todays British sitcoms are complete rubbish compared to todays American sitcoms. Look at the quality of a show like 30 Rock compared to Miranda.

The popularity of panel shows has ruined sitcoms because comedian's are happy to take the easy money by being on panel shows instead of writing good shows. Sean Lock wrote two good series of 15 Storeys high but to my knowledge hasn't written another show in 5 years.
I see the bad moon arising.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Ghost wrote:The popularity of panel shows has ruined sitcoms because comedian's are happy to take the easy money by being on panel shows instead of writing good shows.

Bang on.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Ghost wrote:The popularity of panel shows has ruined sitcoms because comedian's are happy to take the easy money by being on panel shows instead of writing good shows. Sean Lock wrote two good series of 15 Storeys high but to my knowledge hasn't written another show in 5 years.

I've always preferred panel shows to sitcoms, even going back the last 20 years. The panel show has always given what feels like a more spontaneous feel, which is something I'm far more likely to laugh at than an oviously scripted comedy.

One place I would however recommend for scripted comedies is Radio 4 - shows like Bleak Expectations and Cabin Pressure are excellent.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:03 pm

Ghost wrote:I've said this before but todays British sitcoms are complete rubbish compared to todays American sitcoms. Look at the quality of a show like 30 Rock compared to Miranda.

What good American sitcoms are there? I've always found them absolutely horrendous, and completely unfunny. Never seen a full episode of 30 Rock, but the clips I've seen make it seem like just another unfunny American thing. I'd take the worst British sitcom over that shit.

There have been a few good sitcoms recently. I'm really getting into the Thick of It, it's brilliant, and Black Books should have done loads more series. But yeah, the older ones were much better. Like Ghost said, the panel shows are killing them quite a bit (not that I'd want to see some of the people on there doing any sitcoms) but I also think a lot of them get too Americanised to be any good.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:20 pm

You can cherry pick the best of the US comedy and the worst of the British, but you just need to watch that Jim Belushi one or Just Shoot Me to argue the reverse.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:13 pm

thehairyone wrote:
Ghost wrote:The popularity of panel shows has ruined sitcoms because comedian's are happy to take the easy money by being on panel shows instead of writing good shows. Sean Lock wrote two good series of 15 Storeys high but to my knowledge hasn't written another show in 5 years.

I've always preferred panel shows to sitcoms, even going back the last 20 years. The panel show has always given what feels like a more spontaneous feel, which is something I'm far more likely to laugh at than an oviously scripted comedy.

One place I would however recommend for scripted comedies is Radio 4 - shows like Bleak Expectations and Cabin Pressure are excellent.

Although I love some of the classic brit sit comes (Fools and Horses, Red Dwarf, Steptoe, Blackadder..and more recently Coupling) I've always preferred panel shows, for the same reason. It feels more spontaneous, but I think I prefer stand-up over both of them nowadays...always loved it but i think I'm becoming a bit addictive to stand-up DVDs.

metalhead1996
Definitely Not Nu

Postby metalhead1996 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Scuzz for music (no shit), horror channel, comedy centeral! :lol:
Burn the Crooked spire

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:27 pm

metalhead1996 wrote:Scuzz for music (no shit)

:|

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

metalhead1996 wrote:Scuzz for music (no shit)

The only reasonable metal music on tv is the program on Propeller, Scuzz is there for comedic value

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Music TV is obsolete.

New Girl continues to be awesome.

Archer is good, but like all Adult Swim shows, I can only put up with it for a few episodes before I need a break.

My Mad Fat Diary is still the best original British show I've seen for a while.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:59 pm

Archer isn't Adult Swim, but I totally agree. Need to get back on that, actually.
*POSSIBLE SPOILERS, THOUGH THE GENERAL OPINION OF HIMYM SEEMS TO BE QUITE LOW NOWADAYS*
HIMYM got renewed for a season 9, so it seems we'll get Ted meeting the mother (provided the finale of season 8 is Barney and Robin's wedding, where it's been confirmed he'll meet her). Or they'll do another season of putting it off, with future Ted going off on tangents while talking about the wedding - which wouldn't surprise me.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm not even watching HIMYM any more. Not even out of curiosity. I can't remember seeing another show start so well but then completely run out of ideas only to be given an extra season when there plainly is no need for one.

Oh yes. Bones.

On a more positive note, The Following started very well, even if it did reek of Kevin Williamson's writing, and Se7en.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Darkweasel wrote:I'm not even watching HIMYM any more. Not even out of curiosity. I can't remember seeing another show start so well but then completely run out of ideas only to be given an extra season when there plainly is no need for one.

I'm mostly only watching now because I've invested so much time (and in a few cases, money) in watching and enjoying it that I feel like I'm owed a real ending. Unfortunately, they are desperately clutching at straws nowadays. This week, Ted dates a girl over 10yrs younger than him, because lol young people.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock