movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 pm

onona wrote:People DON'T download because things are difficult to get.

Uhhh yes they do. If a DVD/album/game is rare and difficult to get physically, of course you would download it.

I never download films anymore, but I do something equally as "destructive" (in your eyes) to the film industry - I buy secondhand. The studios make nothing from that sale as the money has already been made on the product when bought new. What if DVD sales decreased by 50% and everyone just passed round the DVDs more when they had finished?

Basically you're complaining about something (illegal downloading) which has become a fact of the modern world. No amount on whinging on the internet is going to change peoples minds. The best thing you can do is find another job if you feel that strongly about this. I hear music pays well these days.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:21 pm

Kingdom Of Heaven
Gladiator
Red Cliff
Ironclad
Dances With Wolves
Centurion

Although I will say it's Asian cinema that does the epics nowadays, and most of the best films are not just 2 hours of eye candy, read this thread for proof of that, we talk about film from all over the world
Last edited by Andy Hall on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 pm

gandalf the red wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:I can't agree with Gandalf's comment about no good films the past 30 years and the CGI comments aswell, they still make great films with no CGI like the Bourne films, Heat, Ronin, revenly a great film like Justice, if you're not in to films though the likelyhood is you won't know these types of film exist, many go straight to DVD in the UK but get relases in the US, we're a lot smaller country and there's only so many screens I suppose

There have been a few good films with CGI such as the LOTR films, and I quite like films such as Bourne and the modern Bond films. What I was on about was classics. When was the last Lawrence Of Arabia, Citizen Kane, Planet Of The Apes (original and not the sequels), The Third Man, Psycho, North By Northwest, The Cruel Sea, Zulu, Brazil, etc.

Most films made nowdays are 2 hours of eyecandy which I forget almost immediately after I've watched it. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to watch the old B/W films they show on BBC2 and Channel 4.

I have to agree with Andy here, there are still loads of amazing films, both with CGI and with none. Some are fun to watch and just switch your brain off, while some are thought provoking and emotional.
What defines a classic? Box office takings? 5 start ratings? A film that everybody who saw it remembers? By using any of those definitions you could accuse almost any film of being a classic.
A lot of those movies deemed to be classics were probably because when they were made, they were the biggest films, there were fewer films to choose from, and a lot less people went to the cinema.
There are now more films to choose from, and more people to cast an opinion. Very few films nowadays will achieve 'classic' status because of it.
I could name probably 15 films made in the last two years that in MY opinion are better than any of those films you list.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
onona wrote:People DON'T download because things are difficult to get.

Uhhh yes they do. If a DVD/album/game is rare and difficult to get physically, of course you would download it.

I usually buy a physical product, but if the physical product is hard to come by or very expensive, I'll download it legally. If I really want something it's not available physically or on legal download, I'll download it illegally.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:47 pm

All down to personal taste and opinion then, but for scale you have to admit they are very much in the style of those early movies, which is what I was getting at
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Andy Hall wrote:
Beardy wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:For the record, writing fuck every sentence doesn't make your actions or your reasons any more right, and comments like I want it when I want it make you sound like a child, welcome to the world, we can't always get what we want, and who are you to tell people what a good film is ?

Andy Hall wrote:Funny I tend to go to see films for entertainment, not to have my life changed :lol:

And you've named 2 if the most trashy films you could name, so I'm really not shocked you're jaded if that's what you class as good cinema

Like I said before, you really couldn't make it up :lol: :lol:

Again you just don't get it, we're talking about cinema, not independent film, bit cinema :rolleyes:

And those 2 films were made to be b movie and trashy, that was the syle they were going for

They were? Really? Well fuck my old boots! You learn something new every day don't you :eyes:

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Beardy wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:For the record, writing fuck every sentence doesn't make your actions or your reasons any more right, and comments like I want it when I want it make you sound like a child, welcome to the world, we can't always get what we want, and who are you to tell people what a good film is ?

Andy Hall wrote:Funny I tend to go to see films for entertainment, not to have my life changed :lol:

And you've named 2 if the most trashy films you could name, so I'm really not shocked you're jaded if that's what you class as good cinema

Like I said before, you really couldn't make it up :lol: :lol:

Liquid Andy Hall! :lol:

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 pm

You just don't get it! :rolleyes:

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:35 pm

Zero Dark Thirty: Meh

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Django Unchained, just go and see it 9/10

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 pm

Andy Hall wrote:Django Unchained, just go and see it 9/10

We agree on something?

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:21 pm

Just seen The Last Stand. It was enjoyable, but very "Channel 5".
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Just watched Lawless, true story about 3 brothers who bootlegged during prohibition America, this film was stunning, Guy Pierce once again proving just how good an actor he's become as the officer chasing them, Shia Leboef isn't annoying, Tom Hardy is superb and under plays the role brilliantly, 9/10

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm

rumour is spreading that we might see a cameo of The Guardians of The Galaxy in Iron Man 3, although i think it's more likely they will appear in Thor: Dark World as that is more their neck of the woods in terms of location. i'm expecting we will see Winter Soldier in some form in Iron Man 3 due to SHIELD characters appearing, although it was said we might see Ant Man.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Iron Man 3 needs a Rocket Racoon cameo.

He's so epic.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!