movies

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Soze
Denim Demon

Re: movies

Postby Soze » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm looking forward to the new Star Wars film, especially if it reunites the original cast. It's being written by the guy who wrote Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine, 2 films I'm very fond of which have a lot of heart ( something which was completely missing from the prequels ).

I liked the Trek reboot but am fairly indifferent to everything else Abrams has done, still think he's a decent pick for the job though. Just hope it doesn't go overboard with the CGI, that was another thing I hated about the prequels, felt like I was watching a 2 hour computer game cut scene.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 pm

My problem with the CGI was that the prequels craft looked more advanced than the sequels did :?
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm

Agreed. It was only in Revenge of the Sith that things started looking a little more "Star Warsy"

Matte paintings and actual scenery>>>>>>computer game graphics.
Combination of all 3 = win.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:36 pm

The thing is, I now know when ILM have done the FX in films, they have a signature look, I can't see Star Wars chchanging that, I just hope they are as good as episode 3, I'm not expecting Empire standard, but i'll accept Revenge Of The Sith level
Owen wrote:I must admit that even for you Andy, wanting a paddling pool to see people in bikinis is pretty creepy. :lol:

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:50 pm

meathookseed wrote:Dredd= Awesome :D :D :D

Just a shame it didn't get enough bums on seats in the Flix so sequels seem unlikely at the moment. The second film was proposed as being in the Cursed Earth and the next to be about the Dark Judges,primarily Judge Death of course.

It actually did really well in the UK but it was america where it didn't get enough promotion or people watching it. Although saying that, it has been a massive hit in terms of dvd and blu ray sales. They are also selling the props or the movie on eBay at the moment, and when I last looked, judge Dredd's uniform was at around £7,500. So there is definitely a call for it now so a sequel will likly be made just a matter of when. It took them about 1.5 years in post production alone on the first film because of the 3d effects.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 pm

I honestly feel if they had also released it in 2D in the cinema, it would have done a lot better. I know many people who didn't go and see it due to that

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:46 pm

I always thought episodes 1-3 looked and sounded (OST-Wise) than episodes 4-6, but the latter ones had a mostly more interesting story over-all. 3 and 5 are my overall favourites though.

Also I'm not expecting much in the way of original cast appearances, really. Sure Carrie Fisher (or whatever the fuck her name is) will probably make a cameo because...what else has she done lately? But I'm not sure how much we'll get out of Harrison Ford and Mark Hammill. The droids will be in it, obviously. They're in all of them.

I really just hope for a fresh perspective with good new characters and other new, bold ideas. Because the Star Wars expanded Universe is so fucking huge the possibilities for good film ideas are endless.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:54 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:I always thought episodes 1-3 looked and sounded (OST-Wise) than episodes 4-6, but the latter ones had a mostly more interesting story over-all. 3 and 5 are my overall favourites though.

Also I'm not expecting much in the way of original cast appearances, really. Sure Carrie Fisher (or whatever the fuck her name is) will probably make a cameo because...what else has she done lately? But I'm not sure how much we'll get out of Harrison Ford and Mark Hammill. The droids will be in it, obviously. They're in all of them.

I really just hope for a fresh perspective with good new characters and other new, bold ideas. Because the Star Wars expanded Universe is so fucking huge the possibilities for good film ideas are endless.

They can't put Carrie Fisher in it! She's hideous now and she'll destroy everyone's fond memories of Princess Leia.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 pm

If by "fond memories" you mean "awesome wetdreams", then I agree.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:If by "fond memories" you mean "awesome wetdreams", then I agree.

Andy Hall
Denim Demon

Postby Andy Hall » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:05 pm

What lovely things to say, she got old, welcome to the realitybof life :|

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Yeah, it's not like she can't serve as an important plot device for the new movies, or serve any purpose in the movies other than to look good. Just "OH NO SHE UGLY SHE''LL RUIN STAR WARS NOW". God, you're such a misogynist, annabel :P

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:23 pm

Andy Hall wrote:What lovely things to say, she got old, welcome to the realitybof life :|

She didn't just get old, though. She became alcoholic, dependent on drugs and frankly a fair bit fatter. That's not to say she hasn't overcome it all admirably, but it does kinda suggest that Leia isn't within her range anymore.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:34 pm

Princess Leia.*

Not Princess Leia

*Yes, I'm fully aware she's not in Princess Leia costume there. It's just a hot picture of her.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Exactly. Everyone expected her to get old but...come on.